Windows 10: Cannot clone original install

Discus and support Cannot clone original install in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Ok I have the original 7 install upgraded to 10 Pro on my Sandy Bridge build. The drive is 250GB and is getting to be full to the point where I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Cannot clone original install

Ok I have the original 7 install upgraded to 10 Pro on my Sandy Bridge build. The drive is 250GB and is getting to be full to the point where I would really like to clone it to a larger drive because i am using 10 a little more now.
    However I have tired 7 times now to clone using Macrium Reflect which in the past has not missed a beat. I have first cleaned (each attempt) the drive to be cloned with DISKPART and left it unallocated - no go cleaned it again and formatted it - no go cleaned formatted and made active - no go.

The clone proceeds from anything between a 12% and up to a 89% complete and then fails and my only other option is to clean install 10 onto the larger drive .In my pics you will see windows with messages I don't understand I did have other screens but I thought these might be something to go on .

Anyone can shed some light on this please I would really appreciate it after a hell of a week getting the main machine working again.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017

2. Upgrading Windows 10 Solid State Drive

Install the original ssd in

Create the WinPE recovery cd or flash drive media

Install the clone

Boot to the WinPE recovery media and use startup repair.

Restoring system images to new ssd's is better than cloning.

ThrashZone, Jun 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 issues

download macrium reflect. clone windows 10 to the other drive. boot from other drive download windows 8.install windows 8 download windows 8.1. install windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10,and clone to original drive.

Marcus Agrippa, Jun 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you dragging and dropping the partitions? The destination drive should be unallocated (clean). Then you click on Clone this disk under the source disk you want to make the clone of. Then you click on Select the disk to clone to in the bottom pane of the next window. Then you click on the destination drive that you want to clone to. Then you drag and drop the partitions you want to clone from the top (source drive) pane to the unallocated space on the bottom (destination drive) pane. You can click on the dropped partitions in the bottom pane and select partition properties to resize the partition when it is cloned. Once you get the destination drive looking the way you want to, click on finish.

Step 1: select Clone this disk under the source disk:

Cannot clone original install [​IMG]

Step 2: Select destination disk

Step 3: Drag and drop partitions

Step 4: Select partition and select cloned partition properties to change the size

Step 5: Everything in desired place and desired size, click Finish

NavyLCDR, Jun 11, 2017
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes Navy mate I am doing exactly that and tried the unallocated formatted and active options and each time get a different % of clone. I haven't dragged anything down as usually it just - well clones.

In that last pic of mine that whole drive was unallocated and it set it up like that with the small partition at the front leaving the be part of the drive unallocated.
    I'll try again and if no go might jus try Aiomi for the clone.

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok a no go again I tried the drag drop but in pics is what happened

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I think problem is due to unallocated volume on drive being a logical partition not a primary partition.

Try this

Open a command prompt with admin and type following

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n= number of new drive probably 1)

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

active
    assign

exit

exit

and now try to clone.

cereberus, Jun 11, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

I will hav to be quick because y replies have started dropping out again I will try that by t way the Aiomi clone failed something to do with sectors??

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Soory mate failed at 40% 12th attempt

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  10. SIW2 Win User
    Use a sata connection. Easiest is to put target drive inside the machine in another drive bay.

If you can't do that, you could try image and restore using something like eassos restore, or partituion guru ( which uses the same method).

Not tested eassos restore/pguru in that scenario, but it may work. It is possible Aomei image may also work.

11. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok did a chkdsk on the OS disk in case there were errors but clone failed yet again will have to try a claen install

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok will try anything by now up to 17th try and getting a biut weary of it.

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  13. ICIT2LOL Win User

Ok SIW3 mate the clone completed thanks mate I thought I would be here all night redoing this obver and over and thanks to everyone else a brilliant effort bu all.

Any idea what it was - just me using the UB adaptor??

ICIT2LOL, Jun 11, 2017
  14. SIW2 Win User
    Yes.

15. cereberus Win User
    Have you wiped drive as I suggested?

Cloning can be temperamental when running OS.

Sometimes you get more reliable result by making an image backup to an external drive, booting from a flash drive first, and restoring image to new drive (wiped using commands I showed earlier).

cereberus, Jun 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot clone original install - Similar Threads - Cannot clone original

2. Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD: I tried to clone my HDD drive to brand new SSD drive by using Macrium Rreflect.During the cloning it requested access to new driveSSD and it failed.. Afterwards the message "unable to match partition - Drive 0, Start Sector 50620416 - MFT corrupt" appeared. After own a disk...
  3. Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD: I tried to clone my HDD drive to brand new SSD drive by using Macrium Rreflect.During the cloning it requested access to new driveSSD and it failed.. Afterwards the message "unable to match partition - Drive 0, Start Sector 50620416 - MFT corrupt" appeared. After own a disk...
  4. Cannot delete original microsoft account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot delete original microsoft account.: I have been looking on older threads, but the account i signed into on the setup cannot be deleted... Does anyone have an idea?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-original-microsoft-account/a1f05aaf-b26b-4d9d-9f00-b476595551cd
  5. Can't install Origin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install Origin: So.. I can't install Origin because of error (0x000007b) And i don't know what to do? Help would be really nice. submitted by /u/Janna911 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jnwu2t/cant_install_origin/
  6. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  7. origin wont install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    origin wont install: i recently deleted loads of files including my origin files so now when i try to download origin it wont let me download cos it says cant fine origin.exe i need help someone help me pleaseee i just wann play my sims again...
  8. Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug?: For years I used macrium reflect for cloning but recently they had a bug that caused two fails in a row for me so I dropped rather than spend forever trying to figure it out. Using Minitool Shadowmaker now. It has worked great apparently, until I ran it for a very critical...
  9. Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed: Got a new laptop with HDD added a NVMe SSD. Cloned HDD onto SSD and set boot configuration in BIOS I think. Didn't remove Windows from HDD. Computer boots faster but slows to a crawl once the background screen is reached. Is there a conflict between the two OS's? I wanted to...
  10. Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd: I decided to upgrade my 2015 MSI GE72 2QF by installing an M2 2280 SSD. I used Macrium software to clone the hdd to the sdd. After the cloning operation, I changed the boot priorities so that the SSD was the bootable drive. Unfortunately, I forgot to remove the old hdd before...