Windows 10: Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft....

Discus and support Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft.... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have an HP EliteBook 830 G6 which had a failed SSD, drive was replaced under warranty by HP but of course we need to install Windows from scratch.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by James-Dean, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft....

We have an HP EliteBook 830 G6 which had a failed SSD, drive was replaced under warranty by HP but of course we need to install Windows from scratch. We've tried media created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool for 1909 our preferred as well as 2004, but either way when the install gets to the OOBE stage where it wants to connect to the internet, it stalls indefinitely at the "Checking the connection to Microsoft. This might take a while". There is NO option to proceed without internet!

Suspecting a driver issue, we installed the latest NIC and WLAN drivers using a shift-F10 command prompt prior to the"Lets connect you to a network" stage, and they successfully install, but that didn't make any difference. Whether Ethernet or WiFi, its the same result. We tried on several completely different networks: no difference.

This is not a hardware issue: We tested by booting with Ubuntu Live and both ethernet and WiFi work perfectly.

We're at a total loss. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

:)

James-Dean, Oct 16, 2020
  2. Cvrk Win User

Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

I have a Lumia 920 mobile phone.
    Found a list on the net with compatible phones that support Win 10. Mine is on that list.
    Can't upgrade with the usual way.
    Found help on this official website of developers for Windows Phones. It's a step by step no brainer thing. Most people are doing it. Except me. I can't get past point 6. HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks)

"6.Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port "

7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app

No idea what this means.I guess i need to access the router and modify some settings in there. Some guy on the forum told me " think he means to use the local IP address of the pc. Go to cmd and type ipconfig and look for ipv4 address. Should be somethin like 192/......"

I did connect my phone as always via wi-fi to my router. But i have no ideea how to use that proxy or how to make my phone have the same Ip as computer. I did start WPInsiderHacks app on pc. This is what it looks like

Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft.... [​IMG]

Theres also this official Windows Phones
    It says this :
    1. Download the Windows Insider app.
    Press ... > about > make sure Sys free space is 300MB or more.
    If there isn't enough space, make full reset with Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

Download and install certificate.
    3. Edit WiFi connection, enable Proxy

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn

4. Open Insider app, click get builds
    5. You will get Enroll page, do not Enroll yet!
    6. Switch to WIFI settings, turn off proxy.
    7. Switch to Windows Insider app and now you can enroll for Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Choose Fast option.
    8. Check Settings > Phone update.
    If it can't find updates, you may need to reboot your phone and enroll again (without a proxy now).

Same thing with the proxy. Anyways the more detailed steps on the DEV forum are much better i think .Cuz they put out more info on how to do it.

Can anybody help me with step 6 ?

3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft....

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft....

1. Cannot complete Windows 10 install: never gets past "Checking the connection to Microsoft.... - Similar Threads - Cannot complete install

2. Cannot get past the Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get past the Windows Hello: It just keeps taking me in a loop and will not go past the windows hello pin setup... I try X'ing out and tried SKIP THIS FOR NOW and it returns me to the sign on screen...
  3. Cannot get past the Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get past the Windows Hello: It just keeps taking me in a loop and will not go past the windows hello pin setup... I try X'ing out and tried SKIP THIS FOR NOW and it returns me to the sign on screen...
  4. Cannot get past sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get past sign in: I have been unable to sign into my computer.. did a restore and a reset but seems to be the Microsoft sign in and won’t even let me change user https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-get-past-sign-in/79d10603-eeb4-4b67-9772-2f888df2738f
  5. Windows 10 Install "checking connection to Microsoft" fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Install "checking connection to Microsoft" fails: Hello all,I'm about 50 PCs into a reinstall of 500 or so. I use PXE boot and MDT to push a Windows 10 21H1 Education image to devices. Everything has been working fine for the past 800 ish installs according to the deployment console.I've now got 5 machines that all get stuck...
  6. Cannot Get Past Windows 10 Loading Screen

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot Get Past Windows 10 Loading Screen: Hi, I've had a really frustrating day trying to get my computer back up and running but I have very little technical knowledge to help me. I built the computer myself 4 years ago and it has been running fine in general; however, there have been times where it failed to...
  7. Windows 10 Update never completes

Windows 10 Update never completes: Windoes 10 update never completes. Last update early December Since then It says checking for updates and never finishes - this isnt normal behaviour. Please advise...
  8. Windows 10 - cannot get past Log in

Windows 10 - cannot get past Log in: Hi My PC was working fine for about 20mins this morning until it froze. Since then i have been unable to get passed the log in screen (circular dots keep spinning). This had happened yesterday and resolved itself with a restart. Today I have spent numerous hours...
  9. "Connecting to VPN" never completes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Connecting to VPN" never completes: I have 2 computers running windows 10. I've setup a VPN connection on each of them, both the same. On my laptop, it connects to the VPN just fine and works pretty well. On my desktop, however, when I click the "Connect" button, it gives me the "Connecting to VPNname" message...
  10. 10 Install Never Completes

10 Install Never Completes: Ecuse me, no "eks" key suddenly. I signed up for Windows ten long ago. Got notice I could download. It did and began installing. After several partial, (great, now number don't work but open another window) partial downloads I believe it loaded but then wanted to do something...