Windows 10: Cannot connect file history drive because it's been disconnected too long.

Discus and support Cannot connect file history drive because it's been disconnected too long. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Cannot get pass this message even though my backup drive is online and system recognizes it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by usafang67, Jan 19, 2020.

1. usafang67 Win User

Cannot connect file history drive because it's been disconnected too long.

Cannot get pass this message even though my backup drive is online and system recognizes it.

:)

usafang67, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 19, 2020
  3. How do I reconnect my file history drive

Hi Mattie,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if File History drive has been disconnected for too long.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to reconnect the File history drive.

Reconnect your File History drive:

• You’ll see this message if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long. If you’re backing up to an external drive (such as a USB drive), make sure that it’s connected to your PC. If you’re backing up to a network location, go to
      Settings > Update & security > Backup and reselect the network.
    • After you’ve reconnected, wait for the next scheduled backup or start a backup manually by selecting
      Settings > Update & security > Backup > More options > Back up now.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with reconnecting File History, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Cannot connect file history drive because it's been disconnected too long.

File history drive has been disconnected to long

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File
    History drive. Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive.

Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

1. Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History > Click on File History.

2. Tap or click back up now.

To reselect your drive

1. Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History > Click on File History.

2. Tap or click Select drive.

3. On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist you.

SuvarnaG1709, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Cannot connect file history drive because it's been disconnected too long.

1. Cannot connect file history drive because it's been disconnected too long. - Similar Threads - Cannot connect file

2. MY DRIVE BEEN SIGNING IN FOR TOO LONG

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MY DRIVE BEEN SIGNING IN FOR TOO LONG: I CANT TELL IF IS IT MY WINDOWS OR DRIVES THAT CRASHED, BUT MY PC IS NOT PERFOMING IT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO OPEN FEATURES LIKE WIFI CONNECTION AND AUDIO IS MISSING AUDIO SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING. IT DOES NOT GIVE OPTION TO UPDATE WINDOWS ITS SAYS ERROR,SOMETHING WENT WRONG OR...
  3. MY DRIVE BEEN SIGNING IN FOR TOO LONG

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MY DRIVE BEEN SIGNING IN FOR TOO LONG: I CANT TELL IF IS IT MY WINDOWS OR DRIVES THAT CRASHED, BUT MY PC IS NOT PERFOMING IT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO OPEN FEATURES LIKE WIFI CONNECTION AND AUDIO IS MISSING AUDIO SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING. IT DOES NOT GIVE OPTION TO UPDATE WINDOWS ITS SAYS ERROR,SOMETHING WENT WRONG OR...
  4. MY DRIVE BEEN SIGNING IN FOR TOO LONG

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  6. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  7. File History Drive disconnect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Drive disconnect: Hello, I turned File History on around the 1st of march just to see what it did. Now, when I try to disconnect it Windows complains and says 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.' I tried...
  8. Reconnect your drive, Your File History drive was disconnected for too long

in Windows 10 News
    Reconnect your drive, Your File History drive was disconnected for too long: [ATTACH]It is very important to always keep the important files on your computer backed […] This article Reconnect your drive, Your File History drive was disconnected for too long first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. disconnected too long?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disconnected too long?: I want to fix this error. I do not have an external drive, how do I reconnect "a" drive? If your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll...
  10. Trying to backup Windows 10. Message that the drive has been disconnected for too long.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trying to backup Windows 10. Message that the drive has been disconnected for too long.: I get a message that the drive has been disconnected for too long. Reconnect drive and "tap". Tap what? Can't I just back it up? I have a 64Gb formatted memory stick plugged into the USB port. Unplugged it; plugged it back in; same thing. I have not backed Win 10 up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to reconnect history file drive

2. reconnect file history file windows 10