Windows 10: Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch

Discus and support Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using a Local account on my PC so you're saying that I have to create MY account on the PC that I want to share files with even though that PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rzn6jw, Aug 6, 2016.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch

I'm using a Local account on my PC so you're saying that I have to create MY account on the PC that I want to share files with even though that PC doesn't use ID or password? Do I have to sign on with that ID and password to share files on that PC?

rzn6jw, Aug 8, 2016
  2. bro67 Win User

Yes you need to create another local account if you want to sit down and use the other computer. If you only want a user for just sharing particular folders, you can create that and it will not have anything to do with logging into Windows. It is only there for Credentials for file & folder sharing.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
  3. davefaz Win User
    It sounds to me that you would be happy with standard file sharing.
    Go to networking and switch off password protection. This means that there will be no passwords required. Now, only folders that you right click on and "share" will be visible on the network.

davefaz, Aug 8, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

The standard is Network File and Folder Sharing. It is the most secure way to do it on a network and it works. Home Group has been one of those projects that has been a headache from day one and only works between Microsoft devices that have that capability. That means that you cannot connect to those folders in Libraries.

Home Group is a point to point. Network sharing is across the LAN, that anyone can connect to a share if they have been granted through Credentials to be able to do so.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
  5. rzn6jw Win User
    OK, did it your way.

However, if M/S didn't want to use Homegroup in the Anniversary update, why did they leave it in if it didn't work?

rzn6jw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch - Similar Threads - Cannot connect Homegroup

2. Latest patch for PrintNightmare

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Latest patch for PrintNightmare: This latest update has broken connection to clients for their networked printers. Is there going to be any update to fix this issue? I work at a large university and this patch broke connection to ALOT of printers that were already mapped via print server to our clients. Also...
  3. Cannot install latest patch on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install latest patch on Windows 10: Hello! I am struggling since a few days with a computer in our environment which doesn't install latest cumulative patches. If I check winver in this computer the patch level is 17763.1339 1339 = KB4558998 [ATTACH] But if I check the Installed Updates on this...
  4. Flight training grayed out after latest patch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flight training grayed out after latest patch: All lessons in "training flights" are unavailable in Flight Simulator. They appear as "grayed out" on the screen and I'm unable to click on them....
  5. Crashes with the latest patch for 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Crashes with the latest patch for 2004: My PC just crashed after the latest patch for 2004, no BSOD, just a complete freeze and then it restarted. Event Viewer error ID: 161 Event Name: volmgr. Anyone knows about this? The patches that windows installed for my pc today are: patch KB4557957 and security patch...
  6. can't connect to the homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  7. Cannot connect onto my homegroup

Cannot connect onto my homegroup: I have set up a Homegroup on two laptops which use Windows 10 and both connect to the Homegroup. However, neither will display any computers on the Homegroup. I have tried all sorts of things but all I seem to get from the Homegroup trouble shooter is that there are...
  8. cannot enter HOMEGROUP after Build 10565

cannot enter HOMEGROUP after Build 10565: hey guys, after the installation of Build 10565, i cannot longer join the Homegroup. Tried this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...76d9647?page=2 no good at all. when i need to do the last step to give users full control, this does not happen. But i am...
  9. Cannot setup Homegroup

Cannot setup Homegroup: Hi everyone a few weeks back I shot myself in the foot by leaving the homegroup on all four of my machines. I did not realise that they were still subject to the set password, although I had left. The password remains valid and I have NO clue what the password was.*Redface...
  10. Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home

Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home: Back in Win 7, I had my wife's Home PC networked to my Pro PC to share files, etc, through 'Homegroup'. I upgraded to Win 10 on both PCs and now cannot send files from one PC to another. I tried to 'join' Homegroup but I cannot remember the original password. If I...