Windows 10: Cannot connect monitor using VGA extension mode

Discus and support Cannot connect monitor using VGA extension mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to connect my Aspire laptop to the external monitor using the VGA. But the monitor shows my laptop screen only for a second and then it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Souljah Bethea, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Cannot connect monitor using VGA extension mode

I am trying to connect my Aspire laptop to the external monitor using the VGA. But the monitor shows my laptop screen only for a second and then it turns black. How can I connect them? I think some drivers are missing.

:)

Souljah Bethea, Nov 12, 2018

2. Vga monitor connected to my laptop via a hmdi port

Hello Andrew,

The VGA connector is a video connection for sending analog video signals to the monitor or TV. Unless you are planning to connect to a special monitor, such as a plasma or LCD TV that has a DVI connector, connect your Primary monitor using
    the VGA connector.

The HDMI connector is a digital connection type for transferring high-definition digital video signals AND audio signals. When used with a compatible monitor or television, HDMI has the capability of carrying true high-definition video and
    audio as well HDCP protected content. If your computer has HDMI audio, it should be set as the default audio device in Windows audio properties (available from Windows Control Panel). The monitor or TV with HDMI must have speakers to hear audio.

We suggest you try the steps below and check if this works.

• Open the "display settings" in your computer and activate output to the screen. You can either mirror content of your computer or extend the display just like a dual monitor screen.
    • Check the "External Inputs" of your monitor menu. You will need to change the default "Video 1" to a different selection which may be "HDMI 1" or "Video 2" depending on how you have made the connection.

Important: Make sure you connect the cable to the laptop before turning on as sometimes it may fail to recognize external display.

Let us know with the outcome.

Haidae Tam, Nov 12, 2018
  3. VGA Port Not Broadcasting to Second Monitor

Machine: Lenovo - Ideacentre 300S Desktop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
    Processor Model: Intel 4th Generation Core i3
    Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Backstory: I had my computer setup and working properly with dual monitors. I needed to use my work computer with the my monitors, so I unplugged both without shutting down my desktop. When I went to plug in the monitors, I had some trouble getting them to display. I eventually got my primary monitor working via a HDMI cable. However, the VGA connected monitor was not being detected.

Problem: I've tried to use the Windows Key + P to setup the computer for extended desktops. However the monitor is still not detecting a signal from my machine and the machine does not detect the monitor.

• I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers on the graphics card.
    • I've tried a system restore to a period prior to the problem.
    • I tried purchasing a cable that converts the VGA port to an HDMI connection at the monitor and that didn't help.

I'm somewhat proficient with computers and at a point where I don't know of any other solutions. I talked with somebody at Best Buy where I purchased the machine, and the suggested it could be faulty hardware. Given the number of people experiencing the same problem, I suspect that's not the case. Anybody have suggestions? Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Favorite414, Nov 12, 2018
  4. sivaram9 Win User

Cannot connect monitor using VGA extension mode

my acer aspire laptop dosent detect external vga monitor .

I m using acer aspire laptop . I connected my laptop to external monitor which is having VGA extension mode., than the external monitor is showing display for one second and immediately screen turns black , I think no display , again if I change resolution
    in my laptop than the external monitor show display for one second and gone away and turns black screen.. is there any drivers for vga cable mode external moitors

***Moved from Windows 10 / PC projection***

sivaram9, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Cannot connect monitor using VGA extension mode

1. Cannot connect monitor using VGA extension mode - Similar Threads - Cannot connect monitor

2. Cannot use laptop speakers when connected to monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use laptop speakers when connected to monitor: I connected my Samsung Galaxy Book to a monitor via HDMI and the sound on my laptop no longer works. When I go to Settings, no output devices are found, but the Realtek speakers periodically appear and disappear. In the Control Panel, I get the following error message: "This...
  3. Cannot use laptop speakers when connected to monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot use laptop speakers when connected to monitor: I connected my Samsung Galaxy Book to a monitor via HDMI and the sound on my laptop no longer works. When I go to Settings, no output devices are found, but the Realtek speakers periodically appear and disappear. In the Control Panel, I get the following error message: "This...
  4. Connecting to my TV monitor with VGA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to my TV monitor with VGA: I am using windows 10 on my Dell desktop Optiplex 7010. I connected a TV as a monitor with a display port to HDMI connection. It worked fine for a few months and then stopped. I changed cable and updated drivers but I couldn't get it to come on the tv screen. The message said...
  5. Connecting to my TV monitor with VGA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to my TV monitor with VGA: I am using windows 10 on my Dell desktop Optiplex 7010. I connected a TV as a monitor with a display port to HDMI connection. It worked fine for a few months and then stopped. I changed cable and updated drivers but I couldn't get it to come on the tv screen. The message said...
  6. Connecting to my TV monitor with VGA

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Connecting an old monitor using vga to hdmi converter

Connecting an old monitor using vga to hdmi converter: I am trying connect an old Dell E173FP monitor to my new Acer laptop operating Windows 10. I have a VGA to HDMI converter which I am using for this. It connects ok but my issue is that it is appearing as a widescreen monitor in Display settings so when I maximise a window...
  8. Cannot connect external screen VGA to HDMI

Cannot connect external screen VGA to HDMI: Hi I am trying to connect an older VGA screen to my fairly new laptop without success. the laptop runs on Windows 10 I have spent ages trying to find a solution here in Support but nothing has worked Things I have tried Update drivers = the drivers are all...
  9. a vga monitor

a vga monitor: hi I purchased a better graphics card for one of my pc. s regretfully I sold it on. this was a gtx 980. now the new gtx 1070 will not recognise my vga monitor. I have tried running it through various adapters . i.e vga to dvi and hdmi to vga. hdmi to dvi. all no good....
  10. I want to use VGA as primary (#1) monitor

I want to use VGA as primary (#1) monitor: I understand the frustration with this. If I use two VGA monitor ports, I can toggle the monitors any way I choose. If though, I want to use aa VGA as the primary (#1) monitor, and I use HDMI as the extended monitor, IT then becomes #1, and the app that I am running becomes...