Windows 10: Cannot connect to Ethernet from my computer when starting up from shutdown.

Discus and support Cannot connect to Ethernet from my computer when starting up from shutdown. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently installed a program onto my computer titled "ExitLag", which is basically a gaming VPN. I did not like it, so I decided to uninstall it. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PatrickM5000, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Cannot connect to Ethernet from my computer when starting up from shutdown.

I recently installed a program onto my computer titled "ExitLag", which is basically a gaming VPN. I did not like it, so I decided to uninstall it. I thought everything had been fine until I shut down my computer and turned it back on the next day. I had a WiFi connection, but no Ethernet. I checked my Network Connection Details from Control Panel and it gave me an IP that was not mine: "169.254.x.x". Nothing that I do seems to work. When I restart my computer, it only temporarily fixes the problem until I shut it down, then the problem arises again. I ran sfc /scannow and then DISM Restore Health command and nothing worked. In Control Panel, I have the setting "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server automatically" both turned on. I tried running a clean boot, that worked, but again, that is because I restarted my computer, and I did not shut it down. I am looking for a permanent fix to this problem, as I've never encountered this problem before.

:)

PatrickM5000, Feb 20, 2021

2. Cell and Ethernet connection

Hi Darren,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you recently made any changes on the device prior to this issue?
    3. What is the make and model number of the computer?

You may try the below suggested steps to fix the issue.

1. Click on Start, Type in Control Panel and look for Network & Sharing Center.
    2. Click on ‘Change adapter settings’ on the left pane.
    3. You will be able to see the list of networks available.
    4. Click on Advanced menu and select ‘Advanced Settings’.
    5. You will be able to see the different types of connections under advanced settings Window.
    6. Select Ethernet and use the arrows at the right side in the current Window in order to reorder the connections.
    7. Click on OK and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Ethernet Connection

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We would like to ask additional information that will help us in resolving the issue.

• What kind of computer are you using? Is it a desktop or a laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes to your computer?
    • Have you tried troubleshooting the issue by yourself? If yes, what were the steps you have taken so far?

I would suggest you to try the following and check:

• Verify that the cable connects the modem to the wall jack is connected securely.
    • Verify that the cable connects the computer to the modem is attached securely at both ends.
    • Restart the router/modem.

Follow the steps and let us know if it helps.

JericDale Ort, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

Cannot connect to Ethernet from my computer when starting up from shutdown.

ethernet

Hi,

To better assist you, kindly answer the following:

• Did you try to change the Ethernet and check if the network is connecting?
    • Is the Ethernet working in other computers?
    • Are there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Ralph Sta, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Cannot connect to Ethernet from my computer when starting up from shutdown.

1. Cannot connect to Ethernet from my computer when starting up from shutdown. - Similar Threads - Cannot connect Ethernet

2. Windows 11 start up only when connected to ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 start up only when connected to ethernet cable: I have a dell windows 11 laptop which I have had for a couple of weeks. Yesterday the laptop would not boot up and kept going into the repair mode. It boots up in safe mode no problem but would not connect to the wifi. I plugged it into an ethernet connection and when I...
  3. Windows 11 start up only when connected to ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 start up only when connected to ethernet cable: I have a dell windows 11 laptop which I have had for a couple of weeks. Yesterday the laptop would not boot up and kept going into the repair mode. It boots up in safe mode no problem but would not connect to the wifi. I plugged it into an ethernet connection and when I...
  4. Lots of problems with my computer e.g Cannot restart or shutdown computer from windows,...

Lots of problems with my computer e.g Cannot restart or shutdown computer from windows,...: System Specs:Windows 11 64 BitRyzen 5 3400G Processor32 GB RAM1050 tiGIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H V2For a while now ive had problems with my computer where i couldnt shut off or restard my pc from windows and had to do it manually. This is not so bad but when it comes to windows...
  5. Lots of problems with my computer e.g Cannot restart or shutdown computer from windows,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lots of problems with my computer e.g Cannot restart or shutdown computer from windows,...: System Specs:Windows 11 64 BitRyzen 5 3400G Processor32 GB RAM1050 tiGIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H V2For a while now ive had problems with my computer where i couldnt shut off or restard my pc from windows and had to do it manually. This is not so bad but when it comes to windows...
  6. my computer constantly disconnects from my ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my computer constantly disconnects from my ethernet: So my pc is connected to router via ethernet cable and my connection is non-stop going off and on. ive tryed everything: reseting network settings, changing cable, installing new drivers, changing router ports, swapping cables sides.please help me its been 3 months like this...
  7. my computer constantly disconnects from my ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer constantly disconnects from my ethernet: So my pc is connected to router via ethernet cable and my connection is non-stop going off and on. ive tryed everything: reseting network settings, changing cable, installing new drivers, changing router ports, swapping cables sides.please help me its been 3 months like this...
  8. my computer constantly disconnects from my ethernet

9. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION when boot up from shutdown.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION when boot up from shutdown.: I just brought the laptop Asus TUF Gaming F15 and it come with preinstalled Windows 10 1909. Everything was fine until Windows Update it update the os version to 2004 and 20H2. After update to 2004 or 20H2, the windows always BSOD when I startup the laptop from shutdown...
  10. Computer is unable to connect to ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer is unable to connect to ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode: The problem: I connect to the Internet (and to my local network) via an Ethernet cable. However, when I wake my computer from Sleep mode, the computer is unable to connect with the Ethernet. The only solution that works is restarting the computer. Here are a few details...