Windows 10: Cannot connect to Microsoft account remotely via either FTP or VNC

Discus and support Cannot connect to Microsoft account remotely via either FTP or VNC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a local account on Windows 10 running on my old PC and set it up as an ftp and vnc server. (Sysax Multiserver for ftp and UltraVNC for vnc) That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eksy61, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Eksy61 Win User

Cannot connect to Microsoft account remotely via either FTP or VNC

I had a local account on Windows 10 running on my old PC and set it up as an ftp and vnc server. (Sysax Multiserver for ftp and UltraVNC for vnc) That worked fine.

Now I got a new PC running Windows 10, and I let Microsoft talk me into using a Microsoft account.

But those same server applications do NOT seem to work with a Microsoft account. I can't even log in from inside my own LAN. I can think of two reasons for this:

1. They don't accept my user name with a space in the middle. I don't want to give my real name on this forum, *Wink but let's say my real name is "John Smith." Then my Microsoft account was named "John Smith" and that's how I log in. But the ftp and vnc clients don't seem to accept a username with a space in the middle like "John Smith." (My old local account name didn't have a space in the middle.)

2. Some kind of security problem. I turned off the firewall completely but I still can't get connected.

Has anybody here tried to set up a Microsoft account as an ftp or vnc server? How did you do it?

:)

Eksy61, Sep 2, 2016

2. My Windows 10 2-in-1 tablet is missing Remote Desktop in the System->Remote tab

Windows 10 Home edition cannot connected to remotely, it can connect to other remote systems, you will need to use a third party tool such as VNC or Team Viewer.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Lucas_82 Win User
    How to disable Windows Firewall notifications? (Windows 10)

This is starting to become very annoying. It's not just a notification problem. I cannot use VNC for remote connection anymore. If I allow the software through the firewall, just 20 seconds later the firewall starts to block VNC connections again again.
    Can someone help?

Lucas_82, Sep 2, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Try the long username instead of MS account name. It is given as COMPUTER_NAME\USER_PROFILE_NAME.

Check first your user profile name. It is in 99.9% certainty the same than your user profile folder's name, which is different than your Microsoft account name. If you want to be absolutely sure, use command $env:username in PowerShell to show your "real" user profile name instead of Microsoft account name:

Cannot connect to Microsoft account remotely via either FTP or VNC [​IMG]

In my case now it shows my user profile name as although I have logged in to Windows with a Microsoft account and username containing my first and last names, with space.

Further, let's say my PC name was MyMonterRig. In this case now I would use long username MyMonsterRig\ in everything network and remote control related instead of my Microsoft account email.

[youtube]pcEEa0rAZig[/youtube]
    (Video from Ten Forums video thread.)

Kari, Sep 2, 2016
  5. Eksy61 Win User
    I re-edited this post because your suggestion does work--inside my LAN but not outside.

But now I'm still having trouble connecting to the ftp server from outside the LAN.

The only thing I changed from my old PC to my new PC is that I gave my new PC a static IP address inside my LAN, but I forwarded the ports to that new static IP address.

Turning off the firewall didn't fix it.

Eksy61, Sep 2, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Static IP should not have nothing to do with your issue. Quite an opposite, in fact, you will need a static IP to get port forwarding to work without sudden "IP not found" and such errors.

One variation of the so called long username trick: try if WINDOWS\User_Profile_Name works (in Windows networking you can in most cases replace computer's NETBIOS name with word WINDOWS).

Kari, Sep 2, 2016
  7. Eksy61 Win User
    I still can only connect to VNC from inside my LAN, not outside, and I cannot ftp at all, either inside my LAN or from outside.

This is why I asked if anyone had actually gotten VNC or FTP to work with a Microsoft account. I'm getting error messages in the VNC log that I don't recognize and didn't see with local accounts.

Sat Sep 03 12:12:10 2016
    vncmenu.cpp : ############### Usernames change: old="sdlit", new="sdlit"
    Sat Sep 03 12:12:15 2016
    --The system cannot find the file specified.
    Sat Sep 03 12:12:20 2016
    Sat Sep 03 12:12:25 2016
    Sat Sep 03 12:13:03 2016
    vncserver.cpp : authhosts set to ""
    vncproperties.cpp : ***** DBG - Load User Preferences
    vncproperties.cpp : clearing user settings
    c:\users\rudi\desktop\ultravnc_1211\winvnc\winvnc\vncpasswd.h : PASSWD : FromClear called
    vsocket.cpp : VSocket() m_pDSMPlugin = NULL
    vncsockconnect.cpp : started socket connection thread
    vncproperties.cpp : $$$$$$$$$$ ApplyUserPrefs - Plugin NOT enabled
    c:\users\rudi\desktop\ultravnc_1211\winvnc\winvnc\vncpasswd.h : PASSWD : ToText called
    vnchttpconnect.cpp : started HTTP server thread
    vncmenu.cpp : IsIconSet
    Sat Sep 03 12:22:36 2016
    vncsockconnect.cpp : accepted connection from 198.199.98.246
    vncserver.cpp : AddClient() started
    vncclient.cpp : vncClient() executing...
    vncclient.cpp : TEST 4
    vncserver.cpp : AddClient() done
    vncclient.cpp : client connected : 198.199.98.246 (1)
    vncclient.cpp : DSMPlugin Pointer to socket OK
    vncclient.cpp : Repeater connect
    vncclient.cpp : Repeater connected, waiting viewer
    vsocket.cpp : zero bytes read2
    vncclient.cpp : Reconnect to repeater
    vncserver.cpp : removing unauthorised client
    vncserver.cpp : RemoveClient() done
    vncclient.cpp : ~vncClient() executing...
    vncclient.cpp : deleting socket
    vsocket.cpp : closing socket

If anyone has actually done it successfully, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm giving up.

In my past experience, whenever I've fooled around with a mysterious problem for a day or more, it has usually turned out to be a Windows or Office bug or limitation that I have no control over. I'm suspecting that's the case here. So there's no point in my struggling with it on my own.

Eksy61, Sep 2, 2016
  8. Eksy61 Win User

I checked the ports with a separate tool. The ports are open, but the server is still not making the connections.

I give up.

Eksy61, Sep 2, 2016
  9. Eksy61 Win User
    Kari,

First of all, let me apologize for having been a little dismissive of your advice. It turned out that you were right--but the applications were wrong.

There seems to be some fundamental incompatibility between Sysax Multiserver and Windows 10 Microsoft accounts. I switched to FileZilla as an FTP server and that worked the first time with your advice on naming. No bugs, no glitches, even with a Microsoft account. So I'm satisfied.

I'm going to mark this thread as solved. From now on, I'll just log in with "PC name\username" whenever just the username doesn't work.

Thanks for your help!

Eksy61, Sep 5, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    No problems. Windows networking can be a bit tricky when third party applications are involved. Main thing is you could resolve your issue, at least for some extent.

Thema:

1. Cannot connect to Microsoft account remotely via either FTP or VNC - Similar Threads - Cannot connect Microsoft

2. Different Error codes when connecting to a friend's pc via Remote Desktop Either the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different Error codes when connecting to a friend's pc via Remote Desktop Either the...: So basically, what's going on is that I'm trying to connect to my friend's pc via Remote DesktopI have all that I need, and he can connect to my pc successfully, yet, when I try to connect, it doesn't work.I use Windows 11 Pro, and he uses Windows 10 ProAll error codes that...
  3. Different Error codes when connecting to a friend's pc via Remote Desktop Either the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different Error codes when connecting to a friend's pc via Remote Desktop Either the...: So basically, what's going on is that I'm trying to connect to my friend's pc via Remote DesktopI have all that I need, and he can connect to my pc successfully, yet, when I try to connect, it doesn't work.I use Windows 11 Pro, and he uses Windows 10 ProAll error codes that...
  4. Different Error codes when connecting to a friend's pc via Remote Desktop Either the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Remote-Desktop via Microsoft-Account with no password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote-Desktop via Microsoft-Account with no password: Hey guys,I'm just trying to use the "passwordless account"-feature of my Microsoft account, but when I tried to use RDP it seems not to work yet. I'm logged in with my Microsoft-account on both devices Windows 11 Pro but RDP is asking for a password instead of triggering to...
  6. Remote-Desktop via Microsoft-Account with no password

Remote-Desktop via Microsoft-Account with no password: Hey guys,I'm just trying to use the "passwordless account"-feature of my Microsoft account, but when I tried to use RDP it seems not to work yet. I'm logged in with my Microsoft-account on both devices Windows 11 Pro but RDP is asking for a password instead of triggering to...
  7. Black screen on Remote Desktop and Remote Software VNC

Black screen on Remote Desktop and Remote Software VNC: HelloWe use RealVNC to remote in to our machine at the office it works the same as team viewer etc, but when we went to login today the screen was black. I can remote into another machine that is at the office so it isnt the internet and if I use RDP on that machine I still...
  8. Cannot connect to XRDP running in WSL via Remote Desktop

Cannot connect to XRDP running in WSL via Remote Desktop: Hi there! I have WSL 2 with Ubuntu running with an XRDP server, and Remote Desktop Connection allows me to connect just fine. Unfortunately Remote Desktop Connection has a known bug where it does not relay Ctrl+Alt+Arrow which is a key combination I would like to use, so I...
  9. Security for FTP and Remote Desktop Connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security for FTP and Remote Desktop Connections: Hi, I have several security questions: A. MAC Address as security only allow computer with registered MAC address. a.1. Can I add MAC address to Remote Desktop connection settings? a.2. Can I add MAC address to FTP settings? a.1 how? a.2 how? B. SSL Can I add SSL...
  10. Remote Windows FTP via Filezilla and SSL (FROM Linux TO windows)

Remote Windows FTP via Filezilla and SSL (FROM Linux TO windows): Hi folks Anybody got any comments about Filezilla as a client on a Linux GUI to retrieve files from a remote Windows system via SSL. It works perfectly from LINUX to LINUX (you need to ensure openssl and service sshd is running) but it seems a little bit of a pain to get an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vsocket.cpp : closing socketvsocket.cpp : vsocket() m_pdsmplugin = null