Windows 10: Cannot connect to my laptop's system drive as a network drive

Discus and support Cannot connect to my laptop's system drive as a network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop and a laptop, both are running Windows 10, latest updates. On both I use the same account (THE admin account), same password. Both are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JürgenLobert, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Cannot connect to my laptop's system drive as a network drive

I have a desktop and a laptop, both are running Windows 10, latest updates. On both I use the same account (THE admin account), same password. Both are connected to the same home network.

My laptop is connected to several drives on my desktop (c$, e$, f$) and this works fine.

My desktop cannot connect to the laptop's system drive (c$), it doesn't seem to see it, after it times out, I get the message "Windows cannot access \\laptop\c$"

Any idea what setting on my laptop prevents this?

I have enabled remote access and specified the admin account as the permitted user, have unchecked to use network-level authentication.

I cannot remote into each other, regardless of direction.

:)

JürgenLobert, Nov 19, 2018
  2. Decaf Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

anyone know how to, or a program that will automatically backup my laptop (windows 8) onto my buffalo hard drive that is connected through my wireless network?

the hard drive is wired directly into the network, and can be accessed from any computer on the network.

Decaf, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Frn747 Win User
    Network drive not showing in elevated apps

Hi everybody,

I am using W10 Home and I have just done a clean install and I am in the process of customizing the system to my needs.

The problem I step into is this:
    I connected a new network drive from within Windows Explorer and if I open:
    - Command prompt window: Drive exist and it is listed by NET USE
    - Admin command prompt window: Drive DOESN'T exist and it is NOT listed by NET USE

I also use FreeCommander. When I launch it the UAC asks for my confirmation and the network drive doesn't show either.

I know it sounds stupid but I can't figure out what happens... *Confused

Thanks!

Frn747, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Cannot connect to my laptop's system drive as a network drive

Laptop hard drive upgrade

If you ghost the OS from disk to disk with the same system it should work fine. Thing is you have to GHOST the disk, including the MBR or it won't be bootable. Any other normal laptop drive should work as long as the connections the same.

If you cannot make a backup install CD, you'll likely need to locate a windows install CD, unless you can ghost the drive. Thats pretty much your only options atm.

Dippyskoodlez, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Cannot connect to my laptop's system drive as a network drive

1. Cannot connect to my laptop's system drive as a network drive - Similar Threads - Cannot connect laptop's

2. Cannot view network drives from Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot view network drives from Laptop: I cannot view any network drives from my win 10 Laptop.I've already adjusted the windows sharing settings on all PC'sOn the main PC where the network drive is located, it can view the Laptop and see the mapped drives in the Laptop, BUT I cannot view/read/write/modify anything...
  3. System is slow when I connect network drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System is slow when I connect network drives: I realized that my system is running slower when I have network connections set up in my computer. (Actually it doesn't matter if they are within reach or not) E.g. I download anything from a browser, all freezes for a couple of seconds. This is really annoying but on the...
  4. Network drive not connected

Network drive not connected: After installation of W10, impossible to connect NAS drive FREECOM Dual Drive Network Center. SMB1 is checked Services switched to auto / DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource publication, SSDP, UPuP....
  5. Cannot connect network drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot connect network drive: Can someone help me ? I cant get my network drive connected using standard procedures. This problem effects all of my computers, but i also configure all my computers the same way. I think i have a service disabled that is responsible for it but not sure which one. I...
  6. cannot connect to network drive

cannot connect to network drive: Following upgrade from win 10 1909 to may 2020 , I lost connection to some of my network drives!? Tried most suggestions on the net but none worked. To be more specific occasionally connection to these network drives are restored just to disappear again in a shortly after....
  7. Cannot Connect To A Network Storage Drive On My Home Network

Cannot Connect To A Network Storage Drive On My Home Network: The problem is the PC has an iTunes library on it and we had to store it on the C:\ Drive in a public folder. The C:\ drive (256 GB) does not have much space left due to the size of the iTunes library. The storage drive is a 2 TB. I can access other storage drives on my...
  8. Cannot connect to network drives - network path not found!

Cannot connect to network drives - network path not found!: This is a really infuriating problem that I just can’t get my head around! I have 2 win10 pcs and one WDigital network drive all wired together by Ethernet via an Asus AC68u. Pc 1 can read and write to the network drive and can read and write files to pc 2 pc2 can read and...
  9. HELP [MAPPING NETWORK DRIVE]--Cannot Connect to NAS

HELP [MAPPING NETWORK DRIVE]--Cannot Connect to NAS: Going to make this short and to the point. I am on windows 10, tried to map my NAS using map network drive but says "Windows cannot access \\Nas102 check spelling or might be problem with your network. Next, I tried to map a specific folder inside Nas102 and it worked!...
  10. Cannot connect to shared drive on company domain network.

Cannot connect to shared drive on company domain network.: At my work, we are upgrading all computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (roughly about 12 computers total). So far 6 of them have been upgraded successfully with not network issues. There is a company domain in place. After upgrading the 7th computer, a Dell Latitude E6410,...