Windows 10: Cannot connect to my main network with new PC.

Discus and support Cannot connect to my main network with new PC. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 routers. My network is identified as Network 2. Every piece of electronics & computers are on this network. I built a new computer & plugged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GARoss, Jan 7, 2018.

1. GARoss Win User

Cannot connect to my main network with new PC.

I have 2 routers. My network is identified as Network 2. Every piece of electronics & computers are on this network. I built a new computer & plugged the LAN into the other router to connect to the internet. The Explorer on the new PC identifies this as Network (not Network 2 as the others) & I cannot file share, etc because it identifies as a different network.

Can I change the new PC to the main network so we can file share?

:)

GARoss, Jan 7, 2018

2. Ethernet always connects to guest network

#1: It doesn't look like I am connected to a domain. I will put a screenshot of my system (I blacked out my System ID and PC Name for protection)

#2: I'm not getting any error. It's just that my Desktop PC is connected to the router via Powerline and Ethernet and I want it to connect to the main network, but it connects to the guest network instead, and I cannot change it because it is hardwired.

UPDATE: I have tried connecting my Laptop via Ethernet to my router and it connects to the main network, which is what I want it to, but when I connect my Desktop to the router via Powerline and Ethernet, it connects to the guest network, and because it
    is hardwired, I cannot change it manually to the main network. My guess is it has something to do with My Desktop PC or the Powerline configuration.

Cannot connect to my main network with new PC. [​IMG]

GenBaconator, Jan 7, 2018
  3. PC reboots every time I access my files from my network

i have windows 7 and windows 10 pc's all connected to my network through Ethernet and wireless, all pc's connect to my main pc which is windows 7 fine but all of a sudden my windows 10 pc shows the network but whenever i try to access my files it causes
    the main pc to reboot every time and i cannot understand why

Original title/subject: [ network ]

garybrown68, Jan 7, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Is the IP of the PC different to the others from a cmd prompt ipconfig /all will tell you and is it in the same workgroup

Samuria, Jan 7, 2018
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks.
    The main network says Connection-specific DNS Suffix: frontierlocal.net / the other PC Connection-specific DNS Suffix: blank

Link-local IPv6 Address are different

IPv4 Address are different

Subnet mask are the same

Default Gateway are different

GARoss, Jan 7, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Get rid of the 2nd router and add a Gigabit switch *Smile just let your main router hand out ip addresses.

Are you out of ports on the 1st router ?

Can you ping the other hosts on Network # 2 ?

Did you join the Homegroup of your Network ?

Did you turn on all the network discovery items you want to share ?

How to Connect Two Routers on a Home Network

Can Two Routers Be Used on the Same Home Network?

Can I connect two routers to the same network with the same network name? Bluesound Help Center

AddRAM, Jan 8, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    The IP will be different but are they in the same range is 198.168.1.1 to 198.168.1.45 if the gateways are not the same you may not get internet. Any second router should have dhcp turned off and be connected from LAN port to LAN port

Samuria, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Kbird Win User

Turn off DHCP on the 2nd router and connect it to a LAN port on the 1st Router NOT the WAN port and make sure all computers are in the same Workgroup eg. GARoss . A (dumb) Switch will do the same thing , but some Routers have an option to set it to different Modes too , eg Router,Gateway, AP (access Point) some will automatically disable DHCP for you.

Then all computers will be on the same subnet , default gateway, IP Range etc etc.

Make sure to Share Drives on the new computer using a Password ....you should only need to enter it once on the other computer as Windows will keep track of the Credentials after that.

Make sure Sharing is setup the same way on all the other computers too ...windows will not share a computer or it's drives if there is no login password present , you can turn it off after that if you want. Assuming you use a Microsoft Account that is you login and password to / from the other computers , so your Wife may need to "share" with "Specific People" and then enter your credentials, But I usually goto the Sharing Tab of Properties and use the Advanced sharing button, just make sure under advanced Sharing to use the permissions Button and set it to Full Control ...it seems to default to "read only"

KB.

Kbird, Jan 10, 2018
  9. GARoss Win User
    Hi. I now have all PCs on the same modem & network & will not add additional PCs in the future. Thanks for all your suggestions.

GARoss, Jan 10, 2018
  10. Kbird Win User
    Adding extra PCs should not be an issue , as long as they are in the same Workgroup and on the Same Router with a Shared Drive you should see them ...it just may take a while the 1st time to show up as it can take 1-1 1/2 hours for the Network "list" to populate over the network to all computers.

KB.

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot connect to my main network with new PC. - Similar Threads - Cannot connect main

2. Cannot connect PC to my wireless network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect PC to my wireless network: HelloI have a PC the one I am writing from now that uses a wireless connection via a dongle. I have recently acquired a second-hand PC and hoped to connected that to the Internet using the same dongle, so I have bought an Archer T2U Plus wireless USB adapter. I can see the...
  3. Cannot connect PC to my wireless network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot connect PC to my wireless network: HelloI have a PC the one I am writing from now that uses a wireless connection via a dongle. I have recently acquired a second-hand PC and hoped to connected that to the Internet using the same dongle, so I have bought an Archer T2U Plus wireless USB adapter. I can see the...
  4. Cannot connect PC to my wireless network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot connect to my 5G network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to my 5G network: Hi, I recently bought a new laptop Lenovo and it works just fine until recently I am not able to connect to my 5G network even though my 5G network is available in the list of available network but it says "cannot connect to this network" -using windows 11 with the latest...
  6. Connecting Laptop with main PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting Laptop with main PC.: I am fully distressed. For 2 days, I am trying to fix the W-lan connection between my main PC and my Laptop. It will not work which it did before. I was trying to find a simple solution, but there appears to be none. Microsoft here fails the consumer completely. As an...
  7. Connecting Laptop with main PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting Laptop with main PC.: I am fully distressed. For 2 days, I am trying to fix the W-lan connection between my main PC and my Laptop. It will not work which it did before. I was trying to find a simple solution, but there appears to be none. Microsoft here fails the consumer completely. As an...
  8. Connecting Laptop with main PC.

9. NEW PC Can see PC's in network but cannot connect

NEW PC Can see PC's in network but cannot connect: Hi Recently purchased new PC. All worked fine for 2 weeks I was able to connect to network PC's and Drive by IP address and now suddenly can't. SMB1 done and ''ON'' at first setup in order to connect to network drive as it requires it. Network discovery done all on. I...
  10. New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network??

New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network??: Hey All, My father bought a brand new HP pavilion desktop. Pretty nice machine. I7, 16gb ram, all that and the bag of chips. Anyways, his internet access is through his landlords wireless. This desktop comes equipped with a modern AC wireless adapter. We turned the...