Windows 10: Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials

Discus and support Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been trying to connect to a shared folder on my laptop, but Network Credentials keeps prompting for my username and password no matter what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Stigg, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Stigg Win User

Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials

I have been trying to connect to a shared folder on my laptop, but Network Credentials keeps prompting for my username and password no matter what computer I try to connect to it from.

All my Windows 10 computers are logged on using the same Microsoft account, but for some reason I cannot access the laptop anymore.

I used to have the laptop connected via Ethernet, but I have recently switched over to Wi-Fi to make way for another desktop computer. Could that be a reason?

Any ideas?

Many thanks...

:)

Stigg, Jul 9, 2020
  2. Arsenal Win User

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control.

Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials [​IMG]

I've selected "Turn off password protected sharing" in the Advance Sharing Center.

Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials [​IMG]

When I try to access the share with a Windows 7 laptop in the home it connects right away without a prompt for credentials. When I try to access the share from another Windows 10 device (Surface) there is a prompt for credentials and I am unable to access the shared folder. There are no common account names between machines on my home network.

On the Windows 10 machine which is trying to connect I have run Net use * /DELETE and removed all Windows Credentials using the Credentials Manager then rebooted both machines a few times. Still though the Windows 7 machine can access the share with no credentials and the Windows 10 machine can't access it at all.

My goal is to get the share working for the Windows 10 machine as it works for the Windows 7. Full access, no prompt for credentials. I've workaround steps that will provide access so that type of information isn't needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any help would be most appreciated.

Arsenal, Jul 9, 2020
  3. Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Here is the solution for this issue :

1 Right click on the folder that you want to share
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Go to Security Tab then click Edit on group and usernames
    4. Click Add and on the user and group window click advance
    5. Click Find Now and look for Everyone on the Search results, Click OK to close the window and OK again
    6. Give the control you need for Everyone and click "OK"

That should make that folder accessible without prompting for windows credentials Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials :)

jeremygoce, Jul 9, 2020
  4. kcjohn1 Win User

Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Hi,

I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content of these folders without having to enter credentials (log in).

My Windows 10 laptop I can see my desktop machine, but I can't see shared folders. If I click on the computer, it prompts me for login credentials. Why is this case and how can I disable this so I can have access to folders without login?

kcjohn1, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials - Similar Threads - Cannot Connect Shared

2. cannot connect sharing folder and printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot connect sharing folder and printer: anyone can help me ?so i have problem with my notebook with include WINDOWS 10 home OSwhen i try to connect things i shared, it always incorrect username and password, - first i make sure, that password, i has input is right- second, i've turn off user and password on advance...
  3. cannot connect sharing folder and printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot connect sharing folder and printer: anyone can help me ?so i have problem with my notebook with include WINDOWS 10 home OSwhen i try to connect things i shared, it always incorrect username and password, - first i make sure, that password, i has input is right- second, i've turn off user and password on advance...
  4. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  5. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  6. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials: Ended up having to do a fresh install of windows recently because my RAID controller gave up the ghost. Installed directly with Win10 2004. Since then I have been having difficulty connecting to network shares from work. In the past, all I would do is connect to work VPN,...
  8. Cannot connect to PC1's shared folder

Cannot connect to PC1's shared folder: I have Windows 10 machines. They have been sharing drives with each other a long time. This week a sharing problem appeared. PC1 can still see shares ofPC2. However, PC2 can no longer see shares ofPC1. Looking at Share Permissions in PC1, permissions have disappeared....
  9. Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Network Share - Prompt for credentials: Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content...
  10. Sharing folders - Credentials

Sharing folders - Credentials: Hello everyone! I have a problem with sharing some folders. On my PC I have set 3 folders to share. One for personal data and other two for sharing pictures and videos. Folders with pictures and videos are shared that anyone on network can open the folder and browse...