Windows 10: Cannot connect to SMB shares from Windows 10 but WSL2 can see them fine.

Discus and support Cannot connect to SMB shares from Windows 10 but WSL2 can see them fine. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have a linux server on my home network and for quite a while now I haven't been able to browse the SMB shares on it from the Windows side. Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/corezon, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Cannot connect to SMB shares from Windows 10 but WSL2 can see them fine.

So I have a linux server on my home network and for quite a while now I haven't been able to browse the SMB shares on it from the Windows side. Windows sees the server as I can connect to it with PuTTY just fine by name. My computer also has WSL2 installed and it is able to not only see the SMB shares on the linux server but it can mount them without issue.

I have searched Google and tried the fixes that Microsoft recommends for Windows 10 installations that can't see SMB shares (mainly enabling or disabling SMB Client in Windows options) but that has had zero effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is very frustrating.

A very interesting work around is that I can mount the share in WSL2 and then browse to the mount point from \\WSL$ and I can then access the files just fine, but that is a ridiculous work around when Windows 10 should be able to do this on its own.

The server is running Samba version 4.9.5-Debian.

submitted by /u/corezon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/corezon, Feb 29, 2020

2. Problem connecting to SMB Share on Linux server with Windows 10

Hello All,

Recently my Windows 10 laptop no longer sees the SMB shares on my Unraid 6 server, everything was working fine until a week or so ago. Other Windows 7 machines on the same network have no problem seeing or connecting to the same SMB shares. I did some searching
    on the Web and it was suggested that you try to sign into the computer with a local account rather than a Microsoft account but that did not help. I also tried the registry edit suggested in this post:

https://www.schkerke.com/wps/2015/06/windows-10-unable-to-connect-to-samba-shares/

This did not help either, I am currently running Windows 10 Home 64 bit on an Asus UX305LB laptop and my last update was KB3093266, I believe I was able to connect to the SMB shares for a while after the update. It's pretty important that I be able to connect
    to the server as I use it to backup the computer, thanks in advance.

DavidMcJunkin, Feb 29, 2020
  3. emelsom Win User
    How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am experiencing difficulties with accessing, discovering and connecting to my NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions suggest on the Web, but avail, none of them worked.

• Enabling SMB v2 and restarting
    • Checking SMB v1 in Windows components is ticked on
    • Etc.
    It seems that Microsoft has broken something though their patches

If anyone can supply me with a permanent/ final fix,
    not workaround, please post it here.

emelsom, Feb 29, 2020
  4. emelsom Win User

Cannot connect to SMB shares from Windows 10 but WSL2 can see them fine.

How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am experiencing difficulties with accessing, discovering and connecting to my NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions suggest on the Web, but avail, none of them worked.

• Enabling SMB v2 and restarting
    • Checking SMB v1 in Windows components is ticked on
    • Etc.
    It seems that Microsoft has broken something though their patches

If anyone can supply me with a permanent/ final fix,
    not workaround, please post it here.

emelsom, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Cannot connect to SMB shares from Windows 10 but WSL2 can see them fine.

1. Cannot connect to SMB shares from Windows 10 but WSL2 can see them fine. - Similar Threads - Cannot connect SMB

2. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  3. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  4. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Connect to Internet From WSL2

Cannot Connect to Internet From WSL2: I could not be able to connect to internet from WSL2. WSL2 is freshly installed on a fresh installed copy of Windows 10 Pro insider.Pinging to any site shows 100% packet loss. I cannot install nor update anything. Internet is working fine on Windows. /etc/resove.conf...
  6. Can't connect to SMB Share Windows 10, Strange Behavior

Can't connect to SMB Share Windows 10, Strange Behavior: Hi, Something strange is happening : when I restart my Windows 10 computer, I can access the SMB share on a FreeNas server. As soon as I switch the Wifi network or when I connect through Ethernet, I loose access to the share. I don't have that problem on a Mi Box or a...
  7. Windows 10 won't connect to SMB.1x share

Windows 10 won't connect to SMB.1x share: Installing Windows 10 BUT was told that it will not connect to SMB1.x Share which i have running on one of my servers. Can i configure it to make this work on Windows 10 - I am looking to install win 10 image on several computers next week - need this issue fixed or will have...
  8. Can see files in folders shared on Win7 machine, but cannot open them

Can see files in folders shared on Win7 machine, but cannot open them: Four devices are connected to the Ethernet ports of the broadband router provided by my ISP: a Win7 Home Premium PC, a Win10 Pro NB and two Linux media players. The only problem with respect to file sharing among these devices is that the Win10 Pro NB can see, from File...
  9. Can't connect to SMB shares from 7..?

Can't connect to SMB shares from 7..?: Hello, I installed 10 on a PC with same username & pass as usual. Then from 7 I tried to reach d$ but it ask me pass & login, while normally it doesn't ask any (since it's the same!).. Can't understand that, would you please explain me/us..? Thanks! 33097
  10. Network Folder cannot see some computers, but can access them fine

Network Folder cannot see some computers, but can access them fine: Hi everyone, I have a strange issue on my Windows 10 computer: I can only see 1 computer under my home network, but other computers do not appear at all. However, I can access them fine typing in the address bar manually. Also, for some reason, "LEESERVERPC" does not...