Windows 10: cannot connect to the update service- was on a domain

Discus and support cannot connect to the update service- was on a domain in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Getting message - we couldn't connect to the update service. Also : some settings are managed by your organization. This PC was on a domain to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cdoqrun, Aug 26, 2018.

1. cdoqrun Win User

cannot connect to the update service- was on a domain

Getting message - we couldn't connect to the update service. Also : some settings are managed by your organization. This PC was on a domain to a company that no longer exists. What can I do to be able to get updates?

:)

cdoqrun, Aug 26, 2018

2. BOINC for Windows Domain Controllers

Long story short, BOINC stopped supporting domain controllers after version 5.10.45 and 5.10.45 broke because it's HTTPS security certificates are out of date. Requirements:
    • Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition or newer (must be 64-bit)
    • Must have domain controller role installed.
    If neither of these requirements are met, just use the latest version from Berkeley.

The solution:
    • Download this ZIP from TPU (thanks @Wizzard!)
    • Extract everything from the ZIP to the desktop or some place you can easily access it.
    • Run "boinc_5.10.45_windows_x86_64.exe" to install 5.10.45 as normal.
    • After it is installed, make sure BOINC is not running. If it is running as a service, you can stop it via Services. If it is running in the tray, right click on the tray icon and click on Exit.
    • Navigate to where BOINC is installed. This is usually C:\Program Files\BOINC. You should see a ca-bundle.crt file here (it'll have a different icon from the rest). If you do, you're in the right place.
    • Extract the contents of the "certificates" folder to the folder where BOINC is installed. You should be prompted to replace existing files. Do it. If you do not, you're likely in the wrong directory or copied the "certificates" folder instead of its contents. It is very important that the files inside of "certificates" overwrite the installed BOINC files.
    • Start BOINC again. If it is a service, go back into Services and start the BOINC service. If it is a tray application, run it from your start menu. You'll also need to start the BOINC Manager if you have it installed as a service for the next step.
    • Double click on the tray icon to open the BOINC Manager if it isn't already open. Click on the "Messages" tab and verify it is able to download tasks. If it is, you're good to go. If you see "SSL connect" errors lets us know by replying to the thread.
    The "certificates" are copied from 7.6.22.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    active domain services

Hi Aleczander,

We'd like to know more information about the issue you're currently experiencing to give the best solution to resolve the issue. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you connected to a work domain?
    • Are there any error messages showing on your end?

We look forward to your update.

Ian Ser, Aug 27, 2018
  4. robos Win User

Getting a domain name...

Just simple 3 steps to make your website glow to millions…
    Step 1: Sign up now and get a FREE domain!
    Step 2: Design your new website in minutes!
    Step 3: You are live! Share your life online!

Click here…

robos, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot connect to the update service- was on a domain - Similar Threads - cannot connect update

2. Windows Update Error: Cannot Connect to Update Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Error: Cannot Connect to Update Service: I have been attempting to update my Windows and it tells me that it cannot connect to Windows Update Service. This has been occurring for months, and I now suspect that my computer has been crashing somewhat randomly due to outdated drivers that I cannot update. I would very...
  3. Cannot connect to Windows update services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to Windows update services: My computer will not update because it won't connect to the update services. Troubleshoot doesn't find anything. The computer really needs to be updated. I feel like I have tried everything....
  4. Cannot connect to Windows update services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot connect to Windows update services: My computer will not update because it won't connect to the update services. Troubleshoot doesn't find anything. The computer really needs to be updated. I feel like I have tried everything....
  5. Cannot connect to Windows update services

6. Cannot connect to Windows update service.

Cannot connect to Windows update service.: I am in the process of updating two Windows PCs simultaneously, on the same desktop and using the same network connection. My Laptop is downloading and installing updates from the Windows Update Service. But my desktop computer has a problem connecting to the update service,...
  7. Cannot connect to the windows update service

Cannot connect to the windows update service: After i have updated my windows 10 home to 1903 update after that when ever i try to update windows it says Cannot connect to the windows update service.I have ran the troubleshooter but it does nothing....
  8. Windows 10 Update - Cannot connect to Update Service

Windows 10 Update - Cannot connect to Update Service: I have just purchased a new laptop and I am having a few issues. Firstly I cannot download any apps from Store - I get an error message code Code: 0x80072F8F. I have also tried to install the latest updates and get the following message: "We couldn't connect to the update...
  9. No internet and cannot connect to domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet and cannot connect to domain: I have several Lenovo N23 computers and I am having serious issues with our internet connectivity. Recently, all the computers are unable to join the domain and have no connectivity to the internet. The problem is further compounded because these computers do not have an...
  10. Cannot connect to domain error 1355

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect to domain error 1355: I'm having an issue that I've seen on numerous forums but I've yet to figure out... I cannot connect new or refreshed PCs to the domain. All PCs on the network are Windows 10, our server is Windows Server 2012. I am using an ethernet connection on the network. When...