Windows 10: Cannot Contact DHCP Server

Discus and support Cannot Contact DHCP Server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; (Rather complex problem, which probably should be in two forums, but I'm going to start here. I am using my wife's computer due to the problem, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Not Myself, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Cannot Contact DHCP Server

(Rather complex problem, which probably should be in two forums, but I'm going to start here. I am using my wife's computer due to the problem, which is compounded by incredibly slow Internet speed today; it is so slow that speed tests won't load. I checked the DSL modem, it is running at its usual 40 40Mbps.)`

This started yesterday, with no known cause such as error messages. I know that I had just done something on line when my WiFi connection to the Internet disappeared. The network icon showed that I was connected to our WiFi feed from the router, but no Internet.

Tried rebooting computer, DSL modem, and router; that did nothing. Plugged in an Ethernet cable, which also did not work. Went to wife's computer and started research, which led me to find that I had no Default Gateway. Followed several sets of on-line instructions to no avail.

I tried an ipconfig /registerdns a while ago, then waited for possible error messages to appear in the Events module, as the process said would happen. There were four such, all referring to the DHCP server during the hour when I ran the ipconfig process. One of the things I had tried to do several times was to reestablish communication to the DHCP server to no avail.

Here is where I should start a second message, but I am so frustrated that I don't want to do that yet; if if turns out that I should, I will. I created a bootable USB ISO, at a speed much higher than I had ever seen that process. Inserted USB on my computer, opened it in a file manager, clicked on setup.com, which installed a new copy of Windows 10 Home.

As that did not fix the problem, I booted into the USB, which gave me a strange message; instead of actually starting the Windows replacement as I expected, I got a text message about this not working if I had booted from USB (or words to that effect), and closed. I was going to create a new USB, wondering if my having already used the existing one yesterday and that is what engendered the failure; I am going to wait until decent network speed returns.

(Last January, after a massive failure which I won't bother to discuss, I created a bootable ISO usb (rather slowly), booted to it, and the process worked. I expected that to happen again today, megasigh.)

:)

Not Myself, Apr 4, 2020

2. outlook contacting server

hi
    i contacted vodafone, it seems my ip that is given by servers to my modem is in black list.
    he tried with fix ip, i went to outlook and problem dissapear, when he puts in dhcp he get the same ip and problem get back.
    Vodafone engineering is going to resolve tomorrow

fjabrantes, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Communicating with the DNS server

Since you got the error "unable to contact your DHCP server", this could be due to a disabled DHCP client. We suggest following these steps to enable it:

• Click Start.
    • Type services.msc and press
      Enter.
    • Find DHCP Client from the list of services and check the status.
    • If DHCP Client isn't running, right-click it and choose
      Start.
    • The DHCP Client Startup type should be
      Automatic. If it's not, double-click it, choose Automatic.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.

Check if you can use the ipconfig /renew command after enabling the DHCP Client. If you're still unable to connect to the Internet after this, we recommend uninstalling your network
    adapter driver by following these steps:

• Right-click the Start button and choose Device manager.
    • Click the arrow beside Network adapters and double-click your network adapter.
    • Go to the Driver tab.
    • Click Uninstall device.
    • Restart your computer. This will prompt Windows to automatically reinstall the correct driver.

Let us know what happens after enabling the DHCP Client and reinstalling the network adapter driver.

Yolvi Ell, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

Cannot Contact DHCP Server

The DHCP Server service terminated without a valid clue

Hi Chhetri Suman,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol): Every device on TCP/IP needs unique IP address to access the network. DHCP controls the allotment of IP addresses. However, if
    you can access internet, DHCP should work fine. But if there is some issue with the internet, you can follow these steps and resolve the DHCP error.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and
      R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Control and hit enter.
    3. Click on Network and internet > click on Change adapter settings
      on the left pane.

Cannot Contact DHCP Server 09619031-1f13-4ca0-a6dd-259b95a37c89?upload=true.png

4. Right click on the Ethernet connection you are using and select properties.

5. Select Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) and click on properties.

6. Check the following radio boxes:

• Obtain an IP address automatically
    • Obtain DNS server address automatically

Cannot Contact DHCP Server 234a8777-d812-4c80-9703-8d6b427e49d2?upload=true.jpg

7. Now windows 10 will retrieve the IP address automatically.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Contact DHCP Server

1. Cannot Contact DHCP Server - Similar Threads - Cannot Contact DHCP

2. Cannot reach the DHCP server.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reach the DHCP server.: I have tried restarting the network adaptor, modem and PC. Other devices connects to my wifi except my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reach-the-dhcp-server/fc7113ae-1299-4266-bef6-c15546f1032a
  3. Cannot reach the DHCP server.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot reach the DHCP server.: I have tried restarting the network adaptor, modem and PC. Other devices connects to my wifi except my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reach-the-dhcp-server/fc7113ae-1299-4266-bef6-c15546f1032a
  4. DHCP server cannot update A records, access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DHCP server cannot update A records, access denied: Under normal situation when DHCP performing dynamic updates on behalf, the server itself has write permission to the records.But if client machine initiate a dns update eg. manually run ipconfig /registerdns, the A record resulted is not updatable by DHCP server eg. when IP...
  5. DHCP server cannot update A records, access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DHCP server cannot update A records, access denied: Under normal situation when DHCP performing dynamic updates on behalf, the server itself has write permission to the records.But if client machine initiate a dns update eg. manually run ipconfig /registerdns, the A record resulted is not updatable by DHCP server eg. when IP...
  6. DHCP server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DHCP server: Ik ben al een poosje op zoek naar een DHCP server, hoe kom ik daaraan? En welke kan ik veilig downloaden of staat hij al op Windows10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dhcp-server/7a23e6b2-1268-43bd-a917-9c41ece58bb2
  7. FIXED: ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million...

FIXED: ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million...: Hello I've recently changed ISPs and my ISP is telling me that everything is configured in their end but I still have Unidentified Network and running a diagnose says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". To solve this I found online that maybe running ipconfig...
  8. ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million errors...

ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million errors...: Hello I've recently changed ISPs and my ISP is telling me that everything is configured in their end but I still have Unidentified Network and running a diagnose says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". To solve this I found online that maybe running ipconfig...
  9. Fix Unable to contact your DHCP Server error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unable to contact your DHCP Server error on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]While trying to renew the IP address, if you receive Unable to contact your DHCP Server error message on your Windows computer, then this post may be able to help you. Expired IP addresses might interrupt your Internet connection. Thus, [...] This post Fix...
  10. Unable to contact your DHCP server.

Unable to contact your DHCP server.: Good evening. I have a simple yet complicated Problem. My Computer logs onto the internet just fine but will only load sites like Wikipedia, Google and Youtube. It appears that Ipv6 connects just fine but when I check for device info (provided by router admin access) it...