Windows 10: Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B

Discus and support Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; PC A - Windows 7/Windows 10 (neither work) Domain A - Windows 2008 R2 domain Domain B - Windows 2008 R2 domain PC A from Domain A cannot copy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jace Garza - Ludlums, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B

PC A - Windows 7/Windows 10 (neither work)

Domain A - Windows 2008 R2 domain

Domain B - Windows 2008 R2 domain

PC A from Domain A cannot copy file(s) from mentioned PC to a file share (either by UNC or mapped drive) to Domain B

There is a two-way trust between Domain A & B

PC A can copy a file from share (either UNC or mapped drive) to itself

Here's the tricky part, after getting the error, and refreshing the window Domain B side (while trying to copy from Domain A/PC A to Domain B file share) the file is there, but when you try to open it, the file is corrupt

Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B 699ac9e3-6fd8-475e-be26-71c0668d8ae7?upload=true.png

Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B a5c2796c-cabe-471e-9c2f-9e66bb3659b1?upload=true.png

:)

Jace Garza - Ludlums, Sep 27, 2018
  2. Kursah Win User

File sharing help

On the server click Start, type Computer Management or right click start and choose Computer Management from the utility menu.

Bring up the management console, select Shared Folders > Shares.

Are your shares in there? If so what permissions did you give them. Permissions are given to domain users and domain groups when you setup a Windows domain. Now that doesn't mean that other systems have to be joined to the domain but might need to access by using credentials with the username "domain\username" or "domain\security group".

If you want your home theater system to see the shared folders, you need to setup the share permissions to also include Everyone. While this is strongly not suggested in a domain environment, sometimes it is also tough to avoid. Seeing that it appears you're doing this as a home lab type of setup you should be alright.

Can you access the server via UNC path on your laptop? Open File Explorer, in the address bar type: \\your-server-name

If so can you see any shares? Does it ask for a password if you try to access the server and/or shares you can see? If you need your home theater system to see the folder you need to give it open access.

To confirm share settings, right click the folder you want to share, click Properties. Click the Share tab, then click the Advanced Sharing button. Check the box to "Share this folder". Next click permissions and confirm Everyone is checked with at least Read permissions.

If you will need more permissions then you can choose to do so here with the simpler permission options before having to dig into NTFS permissions. Hopefully read-only will get the job done for Everyone and you can select a security group or specific user or domain admin to have Change and/or Full Access permissions to the share over the network.

Let me know if that helps. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Sep 27, 2018
  3. Windows 'domain'?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern in the Microsoft Community. Follow these steps to find the domain name:

• Press the Windows key + R then choose System.
    • The name of your computer will be listed as the Full computer name.
    • The domain your computer belongs to will be listed as the Domain. If, instead of Domain, you see Workgroup, your computer
      is not a member of any domain.

If you have any questions or things you'd like to clarify, feel free to ask.

Marvin Barc, Sep 27, 2018
  4. sammy Win User

Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B

Question:- How to add client to domain from domain controller side?

Hi Guys,

-I have domain called lab.com created on virtual machine Windows Server 2008
    -I have added a client machine Linux machine rhel6 to domain lab.com in /etc/host file
    -I am able to ping DC from linux machine by IP and hostname .
    But from DC I can only ping Linux machine by IP address and not by its hostname "rhel61.lab.com"

I don't want to add linux machine entry to DC's hosts file as it is DC so it should resolve it

But I wish to know what step or doings I am missing from DC side that I am not able to ping linux machine by its hostname.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

sammy, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B

1. Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B - Similar Threads - Cannot copy file

2. Problems with EFS on a shared folder of a domain file server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with EFS on a shared folder of a domain file server: hi, I have a physical machine with Windows 2019 srv std on which, using the Hyper-virtualization platform, I have 2 servers with Windows 2022 std server operating system: one acting as a domain controller and the other acting as a file server.On the file server I have a...
  3. Problems with EFS on a shared folder of a domain file server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with EFS on a shared folder of a domain file server: hi, I have a physical machine with Windows 2019 srv std on which, using the Hyper-virtualization platform, I have 2 servers with Windows 2022 std server operating system: one acting as a domain controller and the other acting as a file server.On the file server I have a...
  4. Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC: Hi, I have problem to access a file share with the local user credential from a domain joined PC. I map the file share through network drive and select different user the login prompt shows up but the credential never get pass. Is it anything wrong that I do?...
  5. Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC

Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC: Hi, I have problem to access a file share with the local user credential from a domain joined PC. I map the file share through network drive and select different user the login prompt shows up but the credential never get pass. Is it anything wrong that I do?...
  6. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain: Hi, I spent almost all day on this one so thought I'd share!IMPACT: GPO install of MSI software fails. Event log: “The install of application XXXX from policy YYYY failed. The error was : %%1612”Running gpresult /h output.html showed the following:Software...
  7. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain: Hi, I spent almost all day on this one so thought I'd share!IMPACT: GPO install of MSI software fails. Event log: “The install of application XXXX from policy YYYY failed. The error was : %%1612”Running gpresult /h output.html showed the following:Software...
  8. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Accessing a shared folder from a non-domain PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing a shared folder from a non-domain PC: I need to access a shared folder in a non-domain pc work-group from a domain pc. What are the requirements in terms of ports and other steps to achieve this....
  10. GUI for copy files from A to B that don't exist on B

GUI for copy files from A to B that don't exist on B: Hi there while this is easy in Linux : (rsync -a -v --ingnore -existing /dir/a/ /dir/b) you need the '/' after first directory) some people prefer a GUI There's now a front end GUI for this (works on Windows too) called Grsync [img] Grsync And GAdmin-Rsync: The...