Windows 10: Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message

Discus and support Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get this message when I try to change windows 10 update download location. The steps I performed were: 1. Stop wuauserv in Task Manager > Services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mldardy, Nov 21, 2019.

1. mldardy Win User

Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message

I get this message when I try to change windows 10 update download location. The steps I performed were:

1. Stop wuauserv in Task Manager > Services tab.
    2. Rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to C:\Windows\OldSoftwareDistribution
    3. Create new folder on external harddrive: D:\WindowsUpdateLocation
    4. Open command prompt - Run as administrator and type in mklink /j c:\windows\softwaredistribution d:\WindowsUpdateDownload and hit enter.

I get 'Cannot create a file when that file already exists' . What am I doing wrong here? It should say Junction created for C:\Windows\OldSoftwareDistribution <<=>> D:\WindowsUpdateLocation but I get the error message instead.

:)

mldardy, Nov 21, 2019

2. Dual error message not fixed

i only get one message. i enabled log to file, created folder for it, then to test the error message, i deleted the folder, to prompt the error message, of which i got one. Ver 1.20.0

Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message 1bdcFLs.jpg

jboydgolfer, Nov 21, 2019
  3. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Nov 21, 2019
  4. Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message

TRIXX error message on loading

Got a bluescreen on a bad Cpu overclock that corrupted the video drivers, so I uninstalled and re-installed all the AMD CCC pkg. Now when I try to activate TRIXX, I get the following error message: "Could not create driver file (C:\Program Files (X86)\Sapphire TRIXX\|\Temp\\TRIXX.sys contains an incorrect path )".

Worked fine before the bluescreen. uninstalled and re-installed the 4 latest versions, including the 4.0 that was working. One thing for sure, there isn't a TRIXX.sys file anywhere in the computer.

Installed msi afterburner to see if it worked, and it did. (then uninstalled it)

(see my system specs for details)

Anybody got a suggestion ??

Thanks-

AngryChief, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message

1. Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message - Similar Threads - Cannot create file

2. Error Message File not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Message File not found: When I boot up my computer I get message the "c:\windows\System 32\LogiLDA.dll file not found. What is this for and how do I repair it? Do I need to repair? If not how do I get rid of message? Just recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10....
  3. "File Exists" Error When Creating New Folder in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "File Exists" Error When Creating New Folder in Explorer: Got an odd one for you: A user is in File Explorer, right-clicks, and tries to create a new folder. She gets an error that says File Exists. There is already a folder called New Folder in the folder that she's currently in. As well as a New Folder (2), New Folder (3) etc....
  4. Error message downloading a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error message downloading a file: adobe acrobat reader could not open encrypted _cnm_ 17 pmap because it is either not a supported file type or https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-downloading-a-file/4851ec35-a8fd-4ab4-b5e6-04fd65998af4"
  5. error message there are no more files

in Windows 10 Customization
    error message there are no more files: I have an older Asus laptop running Windows 10 64 bit....I get an error message "there are not more files" when attemting to save a file from Open Office, Photoshop, or e-mail attachments....I can save from Microsoft word and Excel.......
  6. Cannot save files error message tells me files not found.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot save files error message tells me files not found.: when I save a new file or save an existing file I get this message. I cannot save the file with any name or to any of my drives. Similarly, on saving existing files (changes to data) the file 'cannot be found'. why is this happening? I am using Windows 10 Pro on an HP Envy...
  7. " Error creating temp. file " when downloading new .exe file

" Error creating temp. file " when downloading new .exe file: I'm trying to download .exe file and getting message Error creating temp. file needed for download. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-creating-temp-file-when-downloading-new-exe/5df508a0-cce3-44a4-941a-1378e5cf83c8
  8. Windows cannot find file message

Windows cannot find file message: I am having problems running some program shortcuts on my laptop. I am getting messages similar to the following:- Windows cannot find 'C\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\HPSF.exe'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again. Can...
  9. Cannot create a folder as Windows says it already exists

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a folder as Windows says it already exists: 1) In May I created a folder on my mothers computer called "2016 Pics." When I visited her this past week the folder and it's contents were missing. I did file/folder search for the folder with no luck. each time I try to make a new folder with this same name Windows says the...
  10. File Explorer error message

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer error message: I just tried to open explorer.exe and got: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." The program works fine if I click on a folder--it just won't open on its own. I had this problem (without the error message) in Win 7, but it...