Windows 10: Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

Discus and support Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Surface Pro 3 64bit Hi there, I originally began trying to create touch index.html from ubuntu in the command prompt. It said touchcannot touch no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EmiMimiko, May 14, 2020.

1. EmiMimiko Win User

Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

Surface Pro 3 64bit

Hi there,

I originally began trying to create touch index.html from ubuntu in the command prompt. It said touchcannot touch no such file or directory . I tried doing the same thing from git bash but same message. I've also tried to create a folder in Documents with mkdir name but system saysThe system cannot find the file specified. Its so weird because files/folder can be created anywhere else e.g Downloads, Desktop etc. but not the Documents folder. In fact I can cd into the my Documents folderc\Users\name\Documents\... and access the files from the command line there but not create new ones. I have Full Control, I've tried running cmd as an administrator. I can easily create files in Documents but only from file explorer not command prompt

Things I have tried:

1. Changed the Owner of the folder to me rather than system

2. scf/ scannow but no issue

3. Tried a wndows reset

4. Check for update, no recent one

The only thing I can think of that might be a cause is when I changed my username from the register so that Users\User could appear as Users\Name. This was months back. I followed a tutorial for that and there was no problem so I dont know if that could be it. I find it so weird that it only affects the Documents folder. Please help.

:)

EmiMimiko, May 14, 2020

2. Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

Hi Edver,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that you may not be able to rename or add a new folder from Quick access. It will allow you to open the folders that are frequently used, recently viewed files or the files/folders that are added to
    Quick access.

If you are unable to create or rename files/folders in other folders as well, then I would suggest you to run a SFC scan.

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 14, 2020
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt :)

Frogger, May 14, 2020
  4. Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

Is it ok to delete all the files/documents in temporary folder(Temp)?

Is it ok to delete all the files/documents in temporary folder(Temp)?

or do i need it?

computer45, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

1. Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt - Similar Threads - Cannot create folder

2. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  3. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  4. OneDrive creating New Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive creating New Documents folder.: Hello. I recently decided I don't want to use Onedrive on my PC anymore so I started the process of removing it. The problem I'm running into is some of my gaming folders where stored in documents/onedrive. I copied everything from the folder and deleted the folder but every...
  5. OneDrive creating New Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive creating New Documents folder.: Hello. I recently decided I don't want to use Onedrive on my PC anymore so I started the process of removing it. The problem I'm running into is some of my gaming folders where stored in documents/onedrive. I copied everything from the folder and deleted the folder but every...
  6. Issue with creating a New Folder in Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with creating a New Folder in Documents: I cannot create a new folder in the default Document folder. I keep on getting an Item Not Found window saying could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Rodney. Verify the item's location and try again....
  7. Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder

Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder: I have tried all the "fixes" in the community forum dating back to 2011. None have worked. Has Microsoft found a solution to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-new-folder-in-file-explorer-or/cb153b5a-8fa6-4fbb-ac33-a6fe6e5ee8f7
  8. cannot create new folder

cannot create new folder: Suddenly no option to create new folder when right click. How do I fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-new-folder/80843612-3262-4984-b594-d8a07596ea6b
  9. Cannot create new folders in anyway other then through command prompt, changing registry...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot create new folders in anyway other then through command prompt, changing registry...: Exactly as title says. I cannot create a new folder the file explorer, cannot create a new folder with Ctrl Shift N, and the option isn't there on the windows right click menu. My version of windows isn't activated yet, so I am not sure if that is causing it or if I need to...
  10. Cannot Create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Create New Folders: Howdy all, So this problem popped up seemingly right after I switched over to Windows 10. As the title says, I cannot create new folders. Clicking on the New Folder button results in a New Shortcut dialog box popping up. What's even weirder is that the context menu has...