Windows 10: Cannot create desktop internet shortcuts after Creators Update

Discus and support Cannot create desktop internet shortcuts after Creators Update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi... I'm new to forum, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I can't in any way create a desktop internet shortcut (url webfile) after latest... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by BurtW, Apr 14, 2017.

1. BurtW Win User

Cannot create desktop internet shortcuts after Creators Update

Hi... I'm new to forum, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I can't in any way create a desktop internet shortcut (url webfile) after latest update. Other shortcuts can be created no problem. I have used chkdsk, sfc /scannow & all the DISM commands to no avail. Keep getting the Error: 0x800f081f. So far this has been the only bug I'm experiencing since the update, but I've not yet used much of what this update has different to offer. Any help in solving this shortcut creation problem is appreciated!

:)

BurtW, Apr 14, 2017

2. desktop icons

You would have to use Chrome or Internet Explorer for that.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-website-sh...

or use Chrome:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-creat...

If you are using Edge, you can create shortcuts to your favorite website on the Taskbar in the latest version of Edge in Windows 10 1709 - Fall Creators Update.

Click the More action menu represented by the three dots in the upper right hand corner of the Edge screen, click Pin this page to the taskbar.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 14, 2017
  3. internet explorer

I cannot locate internet explorer on the computer and need to create a shortcut to the desktop. I am using windows 10

rachellvell, Apr 14, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @BurtW,

Just tested this, I can create an Internet Shortcut on the desktop same as before the upgrade to Creators Update.

Right-click on desktop, New > Shortcut, type in the url and click Next, name it and click Finish.

At what step in this process do you get a problem? What error messages (if any) do you see?

Yes, this is a known issue in 1703...
    Creators update component store shows corruption but unable to repair
    ...it appears to be the list of packages DISM uses as reference that's corrupt, rather than any actual corruption on your PC. Apparently MS are aware and (hopefully) a fix should be on it's way in the next cumulative update.

5. BurtW Win User
    Hi, Bree! Shortcut wizard proceeds normally with all shortcut creation "except" when creating an internet shortcut. No error messages, just a text file labeled a .url file but with no tab and nothing in properties to identify it as a "webfile." Just winds up being a text file with nothing executable.

BurtW, Apr 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I can make mine look like that by changing the file association for .URL to Notepad. Go into Settings and look at...

Apps > Default apps > Choose default applications by file type.

Scroll down and make sure that .URL is set for 'Internet Browser'. You won't need to remake any existing shortcuts, changing the association should make them work as internet shortcuts again.

7. BurtW Win User
    Thanks, mate! Problem solved; however, this business of corrupt DISM source files persists. Still unable to get RestoreHealth working properly and that is concerning. I appreciate your quick reply and will bookmark your channel for future help if needed!

BurtW, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Don't worry about DISM. If you use DISM offline (boot from the install USB, use repair options to get to command prompt and run it from there) it completes successfully and finds nothing to repair. It appears to be DISM's list of packages that's broken, not the system on the PC.

When run from Windows, DISM references an apparently non-existent package: Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35
    Creators update component store shows corruption but unable to repair

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot create desktop internet shortcuts after Creators Update - Similar Threads - Cannot create desktop

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders: Hi, I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows which scares me. Ztruker asked: You asked...
  4. cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders: Hi all, Appreciate all the welcome posts. I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows...
  5. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  6. Cannot create desktop shortcuts that work.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot create desktop shortcuts that work.: I can create shortcuts that then appear on my desktop. However, when I double click on those shortcuts, they open a new Google search window rather than directing me to the specific website for which I've created the shortcut. The shortcut title is good, but it appears that...
  7. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  8. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  9. Create shortcut to windows update on desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Create shortcut to windows update on desktop: Can't seem to find a way to do this. Anybody know? 5373
  10. Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts: Since the last win 10 update, my desktop Folder icons do not work right. When I left click I get this [img] when I right click I get this [img] The only way I can open a folder (such as Downloads) is to right click, then select open. I have tried creating new...