Windows 10: cannot create new folder on desktop

Discus and support cannot create new folder on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I right click on the desktop screen and click new folder my screen blanks out then comes back, but am unable to create a new folder. Whats going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kelsej, Apr 29, 2019.

1. kelsej Win User

cannot create new folder on desktop

When I right click on the desktop screen and click new folder my screen blanks out then comes back, but am unable to create a new folder. Whats going on here? Thanks for any help. K

:)

kelsej, Apr 29, 2019

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 29, 2019
  3. gudiya#1 Win User
    creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Shilohbob Win User

Can not create New Folder in Desktop

When you open 'Properties' for the 'Desktop' folder in your 'Username' and select 'Location' does it show as in image below:

If not select 'Restore Default' (blank out is your 'Username', even if it appears correct still select. (worth a try).

Try create a new folder from desktop!!!

If that does not work try (suggestion):

Rename current desktop folder to 'Desktop1' > create a new 'Desktop' folder > try to create new folder from desktop.

Trying to avoid creating new user profile!!!!!!

cannot create new folder on desktop a8ff5af4-d3b5-4168-a130-2221bedb59e9.png

Shilohbob, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

1. cannot create new folder on desktop - Similar Threads - cannot create folder

2. CREATING A NEW FOLDER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CREATING A NEW FOLDER: I am unable to create a new folder on any of drives using Windows 10 anyone had this issue or know a fix for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-new-folder/258c0742-8a52-4391-bad5-5f9bb36ca7a0"
  3. create new folder

create new folder: I cant create a new folder in windows 10 in my pictures. how do I fix this.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-new-folder/cbc88120-c637-451f-9adf-def7e54748fa"
  4. How to create a folder on the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to create a folder on the desktop: WIN10 is updated and now I can't create a folder on the desktop PLEASE HELP *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-folder-on-the-desktop/a9a9c70e-6461-4265-b4fd-a912d8b41ac3
  5. Creating New Folder

Creating New Folder: Please help me. Why is it that I can't create new folders? Before this the icon functioning just well, but this time nothings happen. Why is that happening?? What should I do?...
  6. Cannot Create a Folder HDD

Cannot Create a Folder HDD: [ATTACH] I have a HDD named "Storage A" which I recently noticed that I cannot create or delete folders. This was not an issue before. I noticed this problem when steam games suddenly stopped working and my games are stored on this HDD. When I try to create folder it...
  7. Error in Win 10 cannot create new folders

Error in Win 10 cannot create new folders: I use Windows 10 on my personal pc. A few months ago there was a sudden and unexplained change: I can no longer create new folders "Ctrl+Shift+N" does not work nor does right click on the mouse. Please explain why and how to I correct this fault Paul C...
  8. cannot create a new folder in Mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot create a new folder in Mail app: when I click the + sign a box appears to enter a name for a new folder. When I press enter the new folder momentarily displays in the folder list then disappears, a moment later a message appears at the top of the screen saying that the folder could not be created, and the...
  9. Cannot create New Folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create New Folder in File Explorer: It works fine, but suddenly today the New menu disappeared from my click menu when I click on any blank place in a folder. What's worse, if I click the New Folder button under the File Explorer top menu, there is no response. In the end, I can only create new folders using...
  10. Cannot Create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Create New Folders: Howdy all, So this problem popped up seemingly right after I switched over to Windows 10. As the title says, I cannot create new folders. Clicking on the New Folder button results in a New Shortcut dialog box popping up. What's even weirder is that the context menu has...