Windows 10: Cannot Create Recovery USB

Discus and support Cannot Create Recovery USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a handful of questions and issues with "Create Recovery Drive" 1. How dose Windows 10 Recovery disk work? When I first tried to create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by caxtin, Jan 22, 2016.

1. caxtin Win User

Cannot Create Recovery USB

I have a handful of questions and issues with "Create Recovery Drive"

1. How dose Windows 10 Recovery disk work? When I first tried to create a recovery drive, it specifies the drive size I would need. One said I would need a USB that would take up to 8GB, the other specifies 16Gb. Since USB drives come in it's denominations of 4,8,16,32,64,...., I got 16GB and 32GB respectively.

The annoying thing is the PC that asks for up to 16GB and I put in 32GB only did an 8+GB of recovery data on the USB. Then, I should have put in a 16GB USB. Would have been cheaper.

2. Does Recovery USB Drives need to be recreated once in a while as an update since system files are added to the USB?

I have three Windows 10 PCs I need to create Recovery Drives on each of them with system files inclusive.

3. New Del Desktop, arrived with Windows 10 (64Bit). It asks for a USB that would take 16GB, I inserted 32GB but it created a recovery drive that is 8+GB only. Why? I wish it would have asked for 16Gb so I don't have to spend to get the 32Gb USB. By the way, when I inserted a 16GB USB, it would not continue.

4. Dell notebook XPS, upgraded from Windows 7 (32Bit) to Windows 10 (32Bit). When I tried to create a Recovery USB drive, it asks for 16Gb USB. When I continued, it stalled at a windows that would not highlight the "NEXT" button. This button is grayed, so I cannot create a Recovery USB. Why?

Cannot Create Recovery USB [​IMG]

5. Third PC is a HP desktop I upgraded from Window 7 (64Bit) to Windows 10 (64Bit). The Create Recovery USB with system files did not work. When I started the recovery, it just kept chunning and chunning for a very long time and will not stop. Why?

Cannot Create Recovery USB [​IMG]

So, it looks like the upgraded PCs would not create a Recovery USB (quite ironic).
    Thanks in advance.

:)

caxtin, Jan 22, 2016
  2. Ben Fryer Win User

Error While creating USB recovery drive in Windows 10

Have tried to create recovery drive using a SanDisk 32GB USB Flash Drive

Both tries ended in an error stating cannot create recovery drive

Need some help

Ben Fryer, Jan 22, 2016
  3. BillSime Win User
    Recovery Disc Creation after Upgrading to Win 10 from Win7

I upgraded my Win7 system to Win10 and want to create a USB recovery disc but get the message that I have already created a recovery disc for this computer (Win7) and cannot create another one. How can I create a Win10 recovery disc for my system?

Thanks, Bill

BillSime, Jan 22, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

1) They always estimate on the safe side for recovery drive usb sizes.

2) That is a good idea but with new way Windows 10 has major build upgrades , you really to recreate the recovery disk after each major build update, and as a result there are not that many interim updates anyway, and it will update on line. Still doesn't take one ng to recreate recovery usb sticks.

3) Cannot explain unless it needs space for temporary files which get deleted.

4) and 5) - yeah lots of odd issues arise with upgrades that do not arise for clean installs.

Actually, unlike Windows 7, recovery usb sticks are not that critical, as they are not really any different to a usb installation stick, especially as MS are keeping the download iso pretty much up to date.

So you only really need one 8GB drive for all your devices (install files are compressed).

Actually, the best recovery option for each device is to create a full system image backup (recommend Macrium Reflec Free). This needs an external usb hard disk.

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  5. caxtin Win User
    I sure appreciate your quick respond to my issues.

caxtin, Jan 22, 2016
  6. caxtin Win User
    Something just happened. I typed "Create Image" and it ran, I got the "Next" button to click. Then I typed "Create Recovery Drive" and the "Next" button showed. That is strange. Hope someone else would read this to remember if my earlier situation occurs.

You enlightened me on Windows 10 safety. Since I already have the rescue USB drive for all the Windows 10, I will just keep to the images I create with Acronis and Easeus. I make two images with per PC with two different apps. Not an overkill since I was 'bitten' badly some years back and don't want that to happen again. Just time time to create them (can be created while I do other things).

Thinks I got it all now from your info.
    Thanks

caxtin, Jan 22, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    1) A usb installation stick uses less than 4 GB, with everything on it.

2) No, you do not really need usb recovery drives if you make image backups to an external usb drive, along with your app boot cd/usb stick, especially have a usb installation stick from above.

USB recoverry drives are a nice to have, but not essential, unlike windows 7 where a recovery drive was the recognised way of recovering a pc for preinstalled windows 7. if you wanted to clean install a standard iso, you needed the COA key which often got lost (then a recovery drive was essential if you did not have an image backup).

From Windows 8 onwards, recovery partitions are useful but not essential. The one exception are devices with the special 8.1+Bing OS which is not available from MS to general public. Here a usb recovery drive is essential (if no image backup).

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

IMO the best "Recovery" is to take an Image of the OS (keep the OS on its own partition or separate SSD) and use many of the imaging / backup programs out there - a bootable one is best then you can even do a "Bare metal" restore or move the OS to another drive simply.

In any case if you create the Windows install media from the Ms site you can always use that where possible with the "Repair your system" option.

I prefer the imaging method --you should always take regular backups anyway.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Create Recovery USB - Similar Threads - Cannot Create Recovery

2. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  3. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  4. Cannot create a recovery usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot create a recovery usb: When using Recovery to create a usb in admin the system tells me we cannot create the recovery disk. It is set up to go to Drive D. It has a 12 GB USB connected....
  5. creating a recovery usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating a recovery usb: Hi, I am trying to put a recovery of windows 10 to a new 32gb usb stick. I am running the latest version of windows. The desktop pc recognizes the usb but the recovery option does not, I just get the green progress bar going along the 'window'. I have tried disabling the anti...
  6. Creating a recovery usb

Creating a recovery usb: Hi there, I want to upgrade from windows 10 v1909 to v2004. So i decided to create a recovery drive so that i can clean install the os if my update fails. I have created a recovery usb drive using "create recovery drive" option in windows, when i was running in windows 10...
  7. can not create a recovery usb

can not create a recovery usb: I have seen reams of problems with this issue - but is there a definitive answer [4 years on!]? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-create-a-recovery-usb/2578b815-76c3-4d30-add3-2672a724d228
  8. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  9. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...
  10. Cannot Create Recovery Disk - USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Create Recovery Disk - USB: I have just bought a new Inspiron 15 5000 Dell with Windows 10 and cannot create a recovery drive. Do you know how I can fix this? 22683