Windows 10: Cannot Create Share to USB HD in Win 10

Discus and support Cannot Create Share to USB HD in Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Similar issues have been posted to this and other forums in the past, but I will describe my specific situation here as I believe the circumstances are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pvan42, Nov 21, 2016.

1. pvan42 Win User

Cannot Create Share to USB HD in Win 10

Similar issues have been posted to this and other forums in the past, but I will describe my specific situation here as I believe the circumstances are somewhat different from those described in other threads:

I have a USB hard drive connected to my Linksys EA 3500 router and am trying to create a link to it from one specific laptop via WIFI in Windows 10 Build 14965. I also have a second laptop where I had no difficulty (same Win 10 build) creating a share to the USB drive.

When I try to create a share, using either \\192.168.1.1 or \\LinkSys17963, the task aborts with the following error message:

\\LinkSys17693 is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    A specific logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

Because I have no issues creating shares to the drive from the other laptop or from the 3 other computers on my network, I believe there must be a problem on the laptop in question.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this gratefully accepted.

:)

pvan42, Nov 21, 2016
  2. jagman55 Win User

Enter Network Credentials - Windows 10

AMEN........................................................................

I agree, EVEN MICROSOFT PROGRAMMERS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY CREATED.

You just said it nicer. Thanks.

After days of futile attempts to solve this, my frustration with Microsoft is way past where you are.

You wrote this TWO YEARS GO AND THEY HAVE YET TO SOLVE IT AND THEY MAY........ NEVER WILL.

Could be a bug they put in to make us dump previous Windows, there buying NEW Windows 10 but, I am not sure if Windows will share with other Windows 10.

Here is to my knowledge their SOLUTION:

Buy new PC with Win 10.

Buy USB HD, make copy of your old Win 7 PCs to a USB HD, remove HD

install on new PC.

COPY DATA, APPS, SOFTWARE, as you need them.

Or access the HD copy from USB for the life of the new PC.

SAVE the HD so when you need another PC, use the USB HD to as your "Microsoft sharing device" label as such.

copy data.... from this Win 10 to the new,new PC.

Give your old PCs yo Goodwill or recycle them.

Remove word "SHARING" from your Microsoft vocabulary.

They do not want to hear this word again.

jagman55, Nov 21, 2016
  3. Datkur Win User
    Files missing to create recovery media Win 10

After intermittent mobo problems and replacing mobo, tried to create recovery CD for Win 10. Message "cannot create recovery media, some files missing"

This is a dual boot Win 7 home premium 64bit system. Win 10 installed from iso CD on SSD after HD change but pre mobo change and no problems with CHKDSK now. How an I define missing files and replace them ? Possibility is that mobo caused corruption but
    system working OK and only problem is creating recovery CD/USB.

Datkur, Nov 21, 2016
  4. valihrach Win User

If you cannot create connection to existing share try this:
    net view \\ipaddr
    ...it should list sharenames *), then
    net use x: \\ipaddr\sharename /persistent:yes

*) message "Access is denied" means you are logged using different username/password than on other machines; see "net help use" how to specify different credentials.

valihrach, Nov 21, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Click on the start icon, start typing credential. At the top of the list of results, click on Credential Manager. Click on Windows Credentials. Then Add a Windows credential. For internet or network address, enter 192.168.1.1 (the address to your router). If you have username/password set up on your router for access to the hard drive then enter that username and password in the fields. If not, then just enter your Windows username (account name) in the username block and leave password blank. Click OK to save it. See if you can access it then.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  6. pvan42 Win User
    Thank you both, NavyLCDR and valihrach, for the useful answers. It was, in fact, a permissions issue. When I created the share using the router ID and password, it worked fine. Don't know why I didn't think to try that before. Guess it's "oldtimers" disease.

Again, I very much appreciate the help!

pvan42, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Create Share to USB HD in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot Create Share

2. Cannot create a recovery usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot create a recovery usb: When using Recovery to create a usb in admin the system tells me we cannot create the recovery disk. It is set up to go to Drive D. It has a 12 GB USB connected....
  3. Win 10 Cannot Access External USB HD but Device Manager Sees it "Working Properly"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Cannot Access External USB HD but Device Manager Sees it "Working Properly": Lost access to a WD Elements SE external HD overnight on otherwise healthy Win 10 systems two PCs tried so far w/ same result. The drive power light functions, and can hear the internals activate...Windows Explorer then pops up a USB drive with letter, but not name of...
  4. win 10 and WD HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win 10 and WD HD: windows 10 decided my WD30EZRX is invalid after a full reinstall of windows. Please Help submitted by /u/Khraagkh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gfq0n2/win_10_and_wd_hd/
  5. cannot create a new folder in Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot create a new folder in Win 10: I have not been able to create a folder in windows 10 for sometime now. need advice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-new-folder-in-win-10/dcd0b5ba-62b3-40fc-8d87-7c77faac1f68
  6. Cannot share USB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot share USB drive: I have shares set up on my internal C: and D: drives. But now I want to share my G: drive, which is a USB-attached WD Elements drive, 8 TB. I'd expect to use the Share configuration panel for that. But ... I can see the share configuration for the C: drive ... [img] But...
  7. Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access

Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access: Just added a new Win 10 Pro desktop to the network. It needs to access a Win 7 desktop shared folder. I get the error message Windows cannot access \\NAComp1-PC Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a network problem. 0x80070035 The network path...
  8. Cannot create Windows 10 USB on Mac

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot create Windows 10 USB on Mac: I am using Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2 I am attempting to create a windows 10 bootable USB however I get the following error message: “Your bootable USB drive could not be created There is not enough space available on the disk” (The USB 3.0 drive is 32 GB) How much...
  9. win 10 hd backup

win 10 hd backup: have a dell 153765 laptop with 1tg and wd 2 tg external hd can i backup my win 10 hard drive with image to this external drive that has other files on it? data backups from this laptop and history files from another pc?...
  10. Cannot Create Recovery USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Create Recovery USB: I have a handful of questions and issues with "Create Recovery Drive" 1. How dose Windows 10 Recovery disk work? When I first tried to create a recovery drive, it specifies the drive size I would need. One said I would need a USB that would take up to 8GB, the other...