Windows 10: Cannot Customize Start Menu

Discus and support Cannot Customize Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I have looked throughout the forums and I cannot seem to find an answer to my problem, or anyone else with the same problem. I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mfrer, Jan 23, 2015.

1. mfrer Win User

Cannot Customize Start Menu

Hello all,

I have looked throughout the forums and I cannot seem to find an answer to my problem, or anyone else with the same problem. I just downloaded and installed Windows 10 between last night and this morning. Everything was going great, until now.

For some reason, I cannot customize the start menu anymore. I was able to do it a couple of hours ago. I cannot move tiles, unpin tiles, or pin anything new on there.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

:)

mfrer, Jan 23, 2015

2. Cannot customize start menu anymore in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• Which the build of Windows 10 you are using?

I suggest you to install the latest build and check if the issues persist.

windows 10 Insider build 14322 is the latest build refer the below article for more information.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332 - Windows Experience Blog

You may also refer the Microsoft article given below and check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope this information is helpful. Feel free to get back to us for any further assistance

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jan 23, 2015
  3. Cannot customize start menu anymore in Windows 10

I cannot pin or unpin icons for a while. Unpinning worked a while ago, however I'm not even having the option for pinning or unpinning an icon anymore, also I cannot find the start menu settings at its place, cannot move the icons, and cannot rename the
    groups.

LászlóSzerémi, Jan 23, 2015
  4. Cannot Customize Start Menu

I have it even worse. I can no longer click on the start menu button and have anything happen. It just does nothing with a left mouse click. The message abut the known bugs did mention Start menu unregistering (whatever that means).

John Pombrio, Jan 24, 2015
  5. caperjack Win User
    gotta start somewhere ,did you shutdown and restart the computer

caperjack, Jan 24, 2015
  6. mfrer Win User
    You're right on that!
    I did try to shutdown and restart multiple times. That is always my first go-to fix.

mfrer, Jan 24, 2015
  7. caperjack Win User
    caperjack, Jan 24, 2015
  8. mfrer Win User

I just went to that post. I did what it said, hoping that maybe in the process of changing the start, it would fix my problem as well. No such luck. I am still stuck with not being able to move or get rid of/add anything in the start menu

mfrer, Jan 24, 2015
  9. caperjack Win User
    system restore ,maybe ,back to when first installed win10 preview

caperjack, Jan 24, 2015
  10. kenC Win User
    Did you install the latest update - it cleared up the problem for me?

11. I tried a lot of stuff, none of it helped. The "going back to resizable Start" let me access the Start button again but none of the apps in the right hand section would run, they would just open and close.
    I tried recovery, did not fix it.

I had to do a fresh install. That worked.

John Pombrio, Jan 24, 2015
  12. caperjack Win User
    oh well ,that what previews are for ,learning

caperjack, Jan 24, 2015
  13. Ratul Win User

I have come across the same problem if ever have found a solution please reply........ thanx

Ratul, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Customize Start Menu - Similar Threads - Cannot Customize Start

2. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  3. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  4. Customizing Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Start Menu: [ATTACH] When I move or delete items in this folder^ the start menu doesn't change even when I reboot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/379fa108-dbbf-417e-a444-dfcdf48a0768
  5. Customizing Start Menu

Customizing Start Menu: When I try to edit start menu in Explorer it does let me make changes but my changes are not reflected on the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/0733cd6f-d942-4239-b4af-4d778204fb8e
  6. Customize Start Menu

Customize Start Menu: Greetings, Is it possible to customize the Start menu? Specifically, I want to move "Notification Manager for Acrobat Reader" to a custom folder. I was able to create an Adobe folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Normally, I can...
  7. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi all If this post is a repeat of an existing topic, I apologize, I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm trying to customize the Windows 10 start menu and I'm running into an issue with grouped boxes (the icons boxes created by placing one icon on top of another,...
  8. Customizing the Start Menu

Customizing the Start Menu: Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders? What I mean is this: In 7, after I install a program, I can R-click the Orb & select (If I remember correctly) Properties or Open Windows Explorer. Opening Windows...
  9. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Is there a way to put custom items here instead of a full list of programs in my PC? sort of winows 7 style? https://i.imgur.com/LVdbxwY.png 66926
  10. Start Menu cannot be customized

Start Menu cannot be customized: While running the newest Insider build (10532) I do not see an option to customize the Start Menu. What I wanted was when right-clicking and seeing the list having "Devices & Printers" listed as an option. As it is not there, there is also no apparent way to add it...? 20020