Windows 10: Cannot decrypt files on personal external drive

Discus and support Cannot decrypt files on personal external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 4TB WD MyBook which I use as an external drive that is always connected to my desktop . On there, I encrypted a folder with other files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert Alvarez Cano, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Cannot decrypt files on personal external drive

I have a 4TB WD MyBook which I use as an external drive that is always connected to my desktop .

On there, I encrypted a folder with other files in it. Whenever I tried to decrypt the folder or the files, I receive and error saying:

An error occurred applying attributes to the file:
    E:\Files\201...\Morris.jpg

The specified file could not be decrypted.

Not sure how to go about this error.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

Robert Alvarez Cano, Feb 9, 2020
  2. CSkut Win User

Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files

Hey there, Andre:

Thank you very much for your quick response. I finally got a chance to try troubleshooting per your suggestions. Here's what I came up with.

I apologize if I wasn't clearer in my issue originally. The files themselves were never actually ON the same drive as the OS. THE OS was on drive C. My files were on drive F. However, I had somehow encrypted those files with my profile... and now that
    profile is corrupted.

I tried the suggestions on that you linked, and these are my results:

• Option 1: Change File Ownership to "Personal" in the context menu results in following error:
      • An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. IF you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
      • Error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted.

• Options 2 and 3: Decrypt Folder or File, (respectively), in Advanced Attributes:
      • Trying to remove encryption by deselecting the "Encrypt contents to secure data" checkbox in the Advanced Attributes window yields the following error:
        • An error occurred applying attributes to the file: F:\EXAMPLEFOLDER\EXAMPLEFILENAME: The specified file could not be decrypted.
    • Options 4 and 5: Decrypting Folders and Files in Command Prompt, respectively:
      • When running cmd prompt in Admin mode, and executing the cipher /d and cipher /d/s: commands, the following error is thrown:
      • F:\EXAMPLEFOLDER\EXAMPLEFILENAME\: the system cannot find the path specified.0 file(s) [or directorie(s) were decrypted.
      • This is problematic, because I can click on the folders and files themselves from the windows GUI.

I still have the corrupted profile on my computer... is there a way to reach into it to extract the cipher?

Thank you so much for your help! (Didn't expect to take a crash-course in Windows security, but there we are, LOL).

Best,

Chris

CSkut, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Jsssssssss, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Cannot decrypt files on personal external drive

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Cannot decrypt files on personal external drive

1. Cannot decrypt files on personal external drive - Similar Threads - Cannot decrypt files

2. Cannot move One Drive files to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move One Drive files to external drive: Why is this so complex? Because Microsoft likes to piss consumers? I am pissed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-one-drive-files-to-external-drive/13852425-89a1-4b2d-9bc7-f8c71b77e743
  3. Cannot move One Drive files to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot move One Drive files to external drive: Why is this so complex? Because Microsoft likes to piss consumers? I am pissed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-one-drive-files-to-external-drive/13852425-89a1-4b2d-9bc7-f8c71b77e743
  4. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  5. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  6. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

7. Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771: Here's the story.I'm running Windows 11, I encrypted my files using EFS, all of my encrypted files are in E: drive, now I reformatted my pc to have a new reinstallation of Windows 11, after booting of the freshly installed Windows 11, I transferred my encrypted files to my...
  8. Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771

Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771: Here's the story.I'm running Windows 11, I encrypted my files using EFS, all of my encrypted files are in E: drive, now I reformatted my pc to have a new reinstallation of Windows 11, after booting of the freshly installed Windows 11, I transferred my encrypted files to my...
  9. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...
  10. Cannot decrypt files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot decrypt files: I had encrypted some pictures on windows 8 pro and then transferred it to hard disk without decrypting them. Now problem is that I have updated to windows 10 pro and I can no longer decrypt the images. It says access denied. What do I do now and how can i get back my...