Windows 10: Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive

Discus and support Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Samsung flash drive. It has a huge folder with thousands of files on it. I want to empty the drive, but I'm unable to delete that folder. File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ehalill, Sep 4, 2020.

1. ehalill Win User

Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive

I have a Samsung flash drive. It has a huge folder with thousands of files on it. I want to empty the drive, but I'm unable to delete that folder. File Explorer just hangs or does nothing no error message. The same when I try to delete individual files in batches. Sometimes I've managed to delete some files, but most of them are still there. Again, File Explorer either hangs or does nothing when I try to delete the files.

The drive doesn't appear to be faulty, as I can access and read the files just fine. I can even delete them one by one, but with the amount of files I have in that folder it would take me a year. Formatting the drive doesn't work Windows was unable to complete the format. Third party software doesn't work. Disk management fails as well. So do various command line options.

How can I get rid of that folder? It would seem too drastic to ditch the whole drive which wasn't very cheap just because I cannot delete a folder...

:)

ehalill, Sep 4, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 4, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive

Deleted folder on flash drive

I erroneously deleted a folder on a flash drive. The folder contains ~ 22 files (Word docs and pdf's). Can I restore it to the flash drive?

Thanks, John

John J Vecchio, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive

1. Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive - Similar Threads - Cannot delete folder

2. Cannot delete old one drive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete old one drive folder: My current working oneDrive folder is on Drive H , there is another oneDrive folder on Drive E, it contains a 25 kb file, and is probably from a previous installation, which is doing nothing and I wish to delete it but cannot....
  3. Cannot delete old one drive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete old one drive folder: My current working oneDrive folder is on Drive H , there is another oneDrive folder on Drive E, it contains a 25 kb file, and is probably from a previous installation, which is doing nothing and I wish to delete it but cannot....
  4. Cannot Delete a folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Delete a folder: [ATTACH] New drive is created automatically [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-a-folder/5aacf868-efc9-473e-bea1-7a5b0fd9c9c7
  5. Flash drive folder and files deletes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Flash drive folder and files deletes: I am using Windows 10 home. I have a Scandisk Ultra 32 GB flash drive. In the last 2 months, 2 different folders disappeared (not deleted). Each folder contained about 1000 records. I tried using EasyUS Data Recovery Wizard to try to recover the missing files and folders,...
  6. Deleted folder on flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted folder on flash drive: I erroneously deleted a folder on a flash drive. The folder contains ~ 22 files Word docs and pdf's. Can I restore it to the flash drive? Thanks, John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-folder-on-flash-drive/58cb0082-d0f5-46a5-a5b2-147e82afe789"
  7. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I am the administrator and I cannot delete a folder. When I try to Change Ownership from SYSTEM [ATTACH] the window modal blinks and then Change is greyed out. [ATTACH] I've tried deleting from command prompt as well, but I get Access Denied....
  8. cannot delete folder

cannot delete folder: At my desktop, I create a folder but when I am going to delete the folder it shows an error message -"could not find this item". How can I solve this issue? Though I find an article on a website it does not fic my problem....
  9. Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive.

Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive.: So I have a large Flash Drive, and it has a lot of memories on it with all of my pictures. I have recently been sending my old photos on my phone to it, and when I was creating a new folder [Folder "Other"], I had copied from a zip file to this file. On accident, I didn't...
  10. deleted flash drive files

deleted flash drive files: can deleted files from a flash drive be recovered? If so how. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-flash-drive-files/92e36e7f-77fc-49c0-bccd-f23130f3aff4"