Windows 10: Cannot delete desktop icon

Discus and support Cannot delete desktop icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It is telling me that this file is open in system. I know where it came from, it was an invoice . I deleted the file days ago and now left an icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chuckhig, Jan 30, 2021.

1. chuckhig Win User

Cannot delete desktop icon

It is telling me that this file is open in system. I know where it came from, it was an invoice . I deleted the file days ago and now left an icon cannot delete. Googled and prefer not to download software. Thank you. Chuck

:)

chuckhig, Jan 30, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

3. Error 404 Win User
    Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Cannot delete desktop icon :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Mussels Win User

Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot delete desktop icon - Similar Threads - Cannot delete desktop

2. Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions: While trying to backup some firefox bookmarks a shortcut appeared on the desktop with a long name which appeared to be a combination of urls. It cannot be deleted or renamed and nothing appens on click. I have tried deleting it from the command line and in safe mode but...
  3. Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 yesterday, but I cannot figure out how to remove these Library icons. There is no delete option when I right-click on them and nothing happens when I press delete on my keyboard.Also, there is no option to remove them under "Desktop...
  4. Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 yesterday, but I cannot figure out how to remove these Library icons. There is no delete option when I right-click on them and nothing happens when I press delete on my keyboard.Also, there is no option to remove them under "Desktop...
  5. Cannot delete desktop icons

Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  6. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  7. icon appeared in desktop and cannot be deleted after upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    icon appeared in desktop and cannot be deleted after upgrade: why can't i delete this icon? what is this icon used for? thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-appeared-in-desktop-and-cannot-be-deleted/ff80436b-44fc-4291-b450-5721eb057ea8
  8. icon appeared in desktop and cannot be deleted after upgrade

icon appeared in desktop and cannot be deleted after upgrade: why can't i delete this icon? what is this icon used for? thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-appeared-in-desktop-and-cannot-be-deleted/ff80436b-44fc-4291-b450-5721eb057ea8
  9. New PC cannot delete most icons on desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New PC cannot delete most icons on desktop?: Even in the desktop folder I cannot delete 90% of my icons/shortcuts. It doesn't give me any errors, it just does nothing. Dragging it to the bin does nothing as well. If I create a new folder, it allows me to delete it but I can't even delete steam game shortcuts... What's...
  10. Deleting Desktop Icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Desktop Icons.: I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop. saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon. I think I've found that if I right click and delete the...