Windows 10: Cannot delete download once drivers are installed

Discus and support Cannot delete download once drivers are installed in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question so if it isn't, please let me know. I've downloaded drivers for my NVIDIA graphics card... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by xpac5896, Oct 17, 2015.

1. xpac5896 Win User

Cannot delete download once drivers are installed

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question so if it isn't, please let me know.
    I've downloaded drivers for my NVIDIA graphics card and have installed them, however I cannot delete the original EXE from my download folder, I get a popup telling me that the action cannot be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer,duh. The preview pane is disabled so I know it's not that. I've never had any problems like this when running 7 so whats with 10 and how do I delete it. No reason to keep it if the drivers are already installed. Thanks in advanc for any help.

:)

xpac5896, Oct 17, 2015

2. NVIDIA Graphics Card Errors resulting in multiple BSOD's.

Sorry for the late response to your late response, once I run it, the driver downloads but it says that it cannot install due to a compatibility error.

DillonLieu, Oct 17, 2015
  3. AFTER THE UPGRADE FROM WINDOW 7 TO WINDOW 10 ; SCANNER HP SCANJET G3010 PHOTO SCANNER IS NO MORE RECOGNIZED BY THE WINDOWS AND SCANNING IS NOT POSSIBLE.

I found the following to work:

Delete all drivers for the G3010 from your PC / device.

Go to the HP website.

Download the driver and all the patches for Windows 7.

Follow the prompts once the downloads are installed.

The scanner will work fine thereafter.

Neil McCafferty, Oct 17, 2015
  4. SoxmisUK Win User

That's not good. If the zip file you installed from is still being opened by an application then it could either be your compressed file opener? (WinZip?) or it's become corrupted somehow. I wouldn't really trust a graphics install that left me with that mess.

Get into task manager and see what file is open and see if you can find out why? You can close the file, you can then close the zip. if you can close the offending process. You may have to look through your start-up programs for clues to find out what's opening it on start up..

You should restart your graphics install from scratch. You may have a problem waiting in the wings.

You need a graphics driver Uninstaller to remove all your old files completely for a sure clean up. The one of choice for Nvidia is the DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller.. (Google for the latest version..) and use it according to it's instructions and get a fresh set of graphics drivers downloaded from a different site and try again.

Good luck.

SoxmisUK, Oct 17, 2015
  5. taox Win User
    "REVO Uninstaller" might help.

6. xpac5896 Win User
    SoxmisUK , the file which cannot be deleted is an exe file which installs the video card drivers and was downloaded directly from the NVIDIA website. I've downloaded many of these files, while in Win 7, and never had any problems deleting it once the drivers were installed. Since I've upgraded to Win 10 now I'm getting this problem. I use REVO UNINSTALLER when deleting programs cause it does such a good job of rooting out all the extraneous stuff which is usually left behind by the program uninstaller. Normally you shouldn't have to use REVO when updating video drivers as they are normally overwritten by the new install. I've checked where the program files are being used by using REVO and AUTORUNS (Microsoft put this out years ago) and all are being used from Program Files (X86) and also checked Task Manager and none are being run from the Dowloads folder. Seems to me that Win 10 is treating this file as if it were part of the operating system, or parts thereof. In Win 7 I would normally go into safe mode and delete the file but after seeing how to get into safe mode in Win 10 I'm not so sure if that's a good idea. I haven't tried it yet and I don't know if safe mode in Win 10 allows you to view files and folders. I've downloaded other exe's and deleted them, this makes no sense.

xpac5896, Oct 18, 2015
  7. SoxmisUK Win User
    I think you should try safe mode. Try to delete the exe from there.

SoxmisUK, Oct 18, 2015
  8. xpac5896 Win User

I tried Safe mode to delete the EXE, unfortunately I got the same results, can't delete the file. I used Revo to uninstall the drivers but once the drivers are installed I end up with the same problem. What gives with Win 10? This is really stupid. I think Microsoft should investigate this problem, or am I the only one who is having this problem?

xpac5896, Oct 21, 2015
  9. shimshom Win User
    Try to use something like Hiren boot CD using the XP mini or other programs built in and once it's loaded delete the file or create a live Linux CD/DVD/USB to do the same

shimshom, Oct 21, 2015
  10. SoxmisUK Win User
    Bring up your System Configuration and choose the Services tab. Tick hide all Microsoft Services. and then untick everything that is left, reboot see if you can delete the file.

Edit: If it doesn't work put it back the way it was.

SoxmisUK, Oct 21, 2015
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    If it's drive C try doing a chkdsk c: /f and try deleting it afterwards.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 21, 2015
  12. SoxmisUK Win User
    Is there anything related to this error in the events viewer?

SoxmisUK, Oct 21, 2015
  13. Hydranix Win User

Close explorer.exe and delete the file.

Make a batch file similar to this:
    Code: TASKKILL /IM explorer.exe Del C:\Path\To\file.exe Explorer.exe[/quote]

Hydranix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot delete download once drivers are installed - Similar Threads - Cannot delete download

2. LGPO.zip will Download but once extracted it won't install.......

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LGPO.zip will Download but once extracted it won't install.......: I downloaded the LGPO.zip file and extracted it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to install it the extracted folder has 3 files 2 pdfs and 1 I presume is meant to be an .exe file but when clicked a quick cmd screen pops up and immediately disappears. I need this to work so I can...
  3. LGPO.zip will Download but once extracted it won't install.......

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LGPO.zip will Download but once extracted it won't install.......: I downloaded the LGPO.zip file and extracted it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to install it the extracted folder has 3 files 2 pdfs and 1 I presume is meant to be an .exe file but when clicked a quick cmd screen pops up and immediately disappears. I need this to work so I can...
  4. LGPO.zip will Download but once extracted it won't install.......

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot install drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install drivers: I've been having issues with Bluetooth speakers and now AUX cable speakers and both times I've tried to uninstall the drivers and update them only to find out that Windows can find the drivers but cannot install them. I even tried downloading the install file and manually...
  6. Cannot install drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot install drivers: I've been having issues with Bluetooth speakers and now AUX cable speakers and both times I've tried to uninstall the drivers and update them only to find out that Windows can find the drivers but cannot install them. I even tried downloading the install file and manually...
  7. Cannot download Asus drivers

Cannot download Asus drivers: I have an Asus G750JM ROG and I am having trouble getting the ATK drivers as when I click on the Asus download site download up pops an ad for Winzip which I don't particularly want to buy at $71 just to get this driver. I did use the official Asus site to find the driver I...
  8. driver cannot be installed

driver cannot be installed: I have a windows 10 OS. Epson WF2760 Wireless printer. They have worked great for 4 months. I came back from holiday and now they are not working. No one has changed any settings and both items were left at home om the network. Both items are connected to the network and can...
  9. Cannot delete User Pin once created

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot delete User Pin once created: Win 10 Home With multiple Users, it appears that once you have created a pin number, you cannot go back and no longer use a PW or PN. Must create a PW first and then you can create a PN You can delete the PW but not the PN 12713
  10. Is it safe to delete C:/NVIDIA once drivers have installed?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is it safe to delete C:/NVIDIA once drivers have installed?: Whenever download an update to the NVidia drivers, the package always prompts for an extract location... by default its' C:\NVIDIA. Just wondering if once the update has been completed, is it safe to delete this folder and its contents? 40710