Windows 10: Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file

Discus and support Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I downloaded a video file some time ago and have not been able to delete it. The only thing that happens is that a colored line progresses along the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rosawoodsii, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file

I downloaded a video file some time ago and have not been able to delete it. The only thing that happens is that a colored line progresses along the top of the window, I assume to search, but the file does not go away, and waiting for an hour never sees the end of the search or indexing. Even a drag and drop to the recycle bin does nothing. No error messages, and asking for properties starts the search progression again. Windows version 1903 (Build 18362.592). BTW, this is a clean reinstallation with backed up files restored to the computer.

:)

rosawoodsii, Jan 28, 2020

2. Problem with mkv Files

Hi,

Experiencing issues in playing mkv files after an update may have something to do with the video card driver. If you have another mkv player app or program, we suggest that you try playing those files using another app or program to help us sort out this
    issue.

If in case the issue persists, we suggest running video troubleshooter. Just click
    Find and fix problems playing movies, television, or video on this
    link.

You may also try rolling back the video card driver. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    • Locate and right-click your display adapter, then select Properties.
    • Select the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver option.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 28, 2020
  3. chuxnz Win User
    MKV files

In 18334
    Can not delete file, move file or delete or move folders containing Mkv files
    Can not delete or rename in CMD or Poweshell
    Any suggestings pending MS fix

chuxnz, Jan 28, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file

CANT GET AUDIO WITH A MKV VIDEO

Is it just one MKV video or all MKV videos?

Usually this is not a Windows Problem, the problem is that there is so many MKV encoders out there and there is no consistency with the way MKV files are being encoded . . .

I have seen this with certain MKV videos, that were downloaded from the Web. The problem is that sometimes the MKV file contains 5.1 Dolby sound and this is not supported on many devices and applications for playback.

There is a very good tool MKVToolnix downloadable from
    HERE
    , which will allow you to look inside the MKV file to see if this is the case. The tool will allow you to extract the audio stream, re-encode it and put it back into the MKV file. Then hopefully the MKV file will play as normal.

I hope this helps!

DaveM121, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file

1. Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file - Similar Threads - Cannot delete downloaded

2. File Manager missing mkv video specs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager missing mkv video specs: i had to reinstall Windows 10 recently but with MKV files it no longer displays the specs in the Details Pane likeeg 1080 x 720 25fps bitrate HVEC all that info.all MP4 files display perfectly.can anybody help?...
  3. File Manager missing mkv video specs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Manager missing mkv video specs: i had to reinstall Windows 10 recently but with MKV files it no longer displays the specs in the Details Pane likeeg 1080 x 720 25fps bitrate HVEC all that info.all MP4 files display perfectly.can anybody help?...
  4. File Manager missing mkv video specs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Dark videos when reproducing MKV files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dark videos when reproducing MKV files: Hi. ASUS Vivobook PRO, IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, IntelR HD Graphics 630. Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 Build 22621.2428. Drivers up-to-date. When I try to watch MKV videos on VLC, they look much darker than they should be. Not an application issue because I tried...
  6. Dark videos when reproducing MKV files

Dark videos when reproducing MKV files: Hi. ASUS Vivobook PRO, IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, IntelR HD Graphics 630. Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 Build 22621.2428. Drivers up-to-date. When I try to watch MKV videos on VLC, they look much darker than they should be. Not an application issue because I tried...
  7. mkv files freeze computer on download

in Windows 10 Support
    mkv files freeze computer on download: Windows 10. I'm not even getting a chance to try and play them. Upon download, they cause my computer to hang up. I've never even gotten to the point of trying to play one. And I can't delete the file by normal means, I have to do all kinds of extra stuff to get it off my...
  8. Cannot delete an MKV file or the folder it's in.

Cannot delete an MKV file or the folder it's in.: I somehow downloaded an MKV file that I don't want and if I try to delete it the file explorer program locks up and I get the blue spinner of death forever or until I use the task manager to kill file explorer. I have also tried to delete the folder that the MKV file is in,...
  9. mkv files

mkv files: was backing up a bluray disc to mkv using handbrake. some files i could play and others I could not, why? Played back on windows media player. any help would be graciously appreciated...
  10. Video software to split MKV files

Video software to split MKV files: Hi there I've got a number of DVD RAM (Video-recorder) type RTAV files that I've converted to MKV on hard Disk. These are recorded as a continuous file . However sometimes I have 2 or 3 episodes in this file and would like to break the file up into the constituent...