Windows 10: Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM"

Discus and support Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I accidentally updated the drivers for a MIDI keyboard, and it doesn't work anymore. It shows up as an unknown usb device. After a quick search, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kalargatron, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM"

I accidentally updated the drivers for a MIDI keyboard, and it doesn't work anymore. It shows up as an unknown usb device. After a quick search, I found this driver under Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository. I tried deleting it, but an error message saying "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder" appeared. I tried giving myself the authorisation in the security section of the file's properties, but I couldn't modify anything.
    I haven't found any other thread on internet regarding this topic, so I hope someone can help me.
    I am the administrator for this computer, and am running windows 10 64bit.

:)

Kalargatron, Mar 24, 2020
  2. Polterry Win User

Denied Access to delete files

Thanks for suggestions. I tried AVG Remover but it found nothing; probably because I had already deleted the bulk of the files. I also tried Command and Safe Mode but both gave Denied message. So the question remains how do I get access to delete files? Would changing to MS login at Start help?

Polterry, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    [Question] Delete files with denied access with batch scripts

'Access denied' may be because the file is open. Another cause of 'access denied' can be ownership and/or permissions. If it is permissions, try running the script as administrator.

By the way, you don't put a space between the '/' and the option letter, and the /A option on its own like that does nothing. It is for selecting files by attribute and should be followed by a colon and list of attributes, eg. /A:RSH

The SYSTAG.BIN file is usually created by Aomei Backupper and that may have the file open.

what is systag.bin? — AOMEI Forum

4. EsMj Win User

Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM"

Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

Thema:

Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM"

1. Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM" - Similar Threads - Cannot delete driver

2. Access denied on my drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on my drivers: How to solve status on wi-fi drivers. I have been using a LAN cable previously but now I need to use wi-fi so I installed the latest intel wi-fi driver through intel but it didn't work so I tried to use armory crate which does everything for me, but I still get the same...
  3. Access denied on my drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on my drivers: How to solve status on wi-fi drivers. I have been using a LAN cable previously but now I need to use wi-fi so I installed the latest intel wi-fi driver through intel but it didn't work so I tried to use armory crate which does everything for me, but I still get the same...
  4. Access denied on my drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Update driver access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update driver access denied: Good morningI just updated to Windows 11 pro and since then I cannot update drivers. I get the following response. My only account on the computer is an administrator account. I have Panda Dome AV and the AV and firewall are turned off. USBSTOR permissions are set to all and...
  6. Update driver access denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update driver access denied: Good morningI just updated to Windows 11 pro and since then I cannot update drivers. I get the following response. My only account on the computer is an administrator account. I have Panda Dome AV and the AV and firewall are turned off. USBSTOR permissions are set to all and...
  7. Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete driver, access denied by "SYSTEM": I accidentally updated the drivers for a MIDI keyboard, and it doesn't work anymore. It shows up as an unknown usb device. After a quick search, I found this driver under Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository. I tried deleting it, but an error message saying "You...
  8. Zombie file cannot be deleted (access denied & file not found)

in Windows 10 Support
    Zombie file cannot be deleted (access denied & file not found): I am trying to delete a file and when I list the contents of the folder it ‘lives in, the file is visible but: When I try to erase the file or change its attributes, I get an “Access Denied” message. When I try to take ownership, I get a “File not found” message. When I try...
  9. Access denied to system disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Access denied to system disk: Hello! I have a trouble. I've denied access to system disk for all users and even administrator in properties. And now i can't see owner, i can't allow access back. I've tried all things, and troubleshooting(Safe mode with Command Prompt). Even if I administrator can't...
  10. Denied Access to delete files

in Windows 10 Support
    Denied Access to delete files: I am experiencing the infamous Blue Screen irregularly and I suspect from reading posts it is linked to AVG Internet Security product. I bought this but later canceled it and thought I had uninstalled it. However later I found that the uninstallation left a lot, if not all,...