Windows 10: Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router

Discus and support Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10, Ver 20H2 I have a HDD used for backup purposes connected to my Asus RT-N66U router. There are a few files/folders which I want to delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clrou2008, Feb 17, 2021.

1. clrou2008 Win User

Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router

Windows 10, Ver 20H2

I have a HDD used for backup purposes connected to my Asus RT-N66U router. There are a few files/folders which I want to delete but I "...need permission to perform this action." Apparently, I "...require permission from RT-N66U-5088\admin to make changes ..." I believe I need to change ownership for the file, but for the life of me I don't know to do it. What follows is the security tab of the file properties.

Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router [​IMG]

As you can see, "Everyone" has full rights, but I guess that it doesn't include me. Perhaps it means everyone in the router! Anyway, an explanation of what's happening is appreciated and, of course, what to do is paramount.

While you're at it, I would like an explanation as to how to reorganize the folders within the router-connected HDD, i.e., move them into a newly created folder which I already added from the router's control UI (via 192.168.1.1 web page).

Thanks in advance.
    Leo

:)

clrou2008, Feb 17, 2021

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Connecting USB to Router to share file's

I would like to occasionally share file's like TV shows on my home network .

I don't need a Nas as I do this very infrequently.

My router does NOT have a USB port.

Is it possible to connect a USB to my router using a USB to Ethernet adapter and then see those files on my network?

TIA Bart

bartjunited, Feb 17, 2021
  4. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router - Similar Threads - Cannot delete file

2. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  3. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  4. Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater: Dear Community, I am having problem connecting my external HDD as Network drive. I managed to connect my pen drive as network drive on the same router but when i replace Pen drive with my External drive I get error message saying as follows, [ATTACH] My Pen drive has...
  5. Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router

Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router: I have a router, serving as an access point. It is an ASUS RT-AC87U. Connected to it via USB 3.0 is a 5TB portable drive. My initial setup with this allowing anonymous logins worked just fine. I've so far disabled Anonymous Logins for both FTP and Media Share. The FTP side of...
  6. Windows 10 cannot see ext USB HDD drive attached to the Router

Windows 10 cannot see ext USB HDD drive attached to the Router: when I connected a Toshiba ext USB drive to the back of my Huawei AG635 router, the router software could see the drive but Windows 10 did not. had enabled SAMBA and media sharing but every time i tried to add a new network location using the same IP address as the router...
  7. Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB: I connected a HDD to my router via USB3, after enabling file sharing and creating a new path to it on my machine, the drive can be accessed with no issues, but I cannot change the security settings located at [DrivePath]/Properties/Security/Edit/ If I try to edit ANY of the...
  8. Connecting USB to Router to share file's

Connecting USB to Router to share file's: I would like to occasionally share file's like TV shows on my home network . I don't need a Nas as I do this very infrequently. My router does NOT have a USB port. Is it possible to connect a USB to my router using a USB to Ethernet adapter and then see those files on my...
  9. How to assess the hdd connected to the router?

How to assess the hdd connected to the router?: I have a external hdd which is connected to a tplink modem via usb. Currently can assess the hdd through the lan after I assigned the drive in "my computer'. My question is how do I get the address for the hdd using normal browser? (eg: trying to connect to the usb external...
  10. usb on router

usb on router: hi need help - up to last version of windows 10 (14905) , windows recognized a hard drive (usb) attached to my router with the latest version , windows refuses to recognize the router , even though i am connected t the router. I have a netgear r7000 with a usb hard drive....