Windows 10: Cannot delete file

Discus and support Cannot delete file in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use gvim to edit a file named "expr.ml" and somehow another file named "expr.ml~" appears beside "expr.ml". I tried to delete "expr.ml~" but with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kevin_KK, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Kevin_KK Win User

Cannot delete file

I use gvim to edit a file named "expr.ml" and somehow another file named "expr.ml~" appears beside "expr.ml". I tried to delete "expr.ml~" but with no luck.

I've tried:

• Right click > Delete. It says "Preparing to cancel" (Cancel what?!) while at the same time "Preparing to recycle", and hangs.
    • Right click > Properties. Nothing happens (No pop-out menu!)
    • Keyboard "Shift+Delete". Same as above.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > del "expr.ml~". It hangs forever.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > rename "expr.ml~" "x.txt". It hangs forever.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > gzip "expr.ml~". Well we all know gzip will remove the original file once compressed. However, it hangs forever.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > python -c "import os; os.remove(r'expr.ml~')". It hangs forever.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > type "expr.ml~". It hangs forever.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > python -c "print(open(r'expr.ml~', 'r').read())". It hangs forever.
    • Go to cmd (Administrator) > cd to directory > python -c "open(r'expr.ml~', 'w').close()". It hangs forever.
    • Go to Ubuntu 16.04 WSL > cd to directory (under /mnt/ of course) > sudo rm 'expr.ml~'. It hangs forever.

It seems that I've exhausted all possible means to delete a file I could ever thought of. Nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks!

:)

Kevin_KK, Oct 8, 2018
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Oct 8, 2018
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Cannot delete file

Delete and Cut Files with Preview Pane Open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Have you tried to delete the pdf file in preview panel?
    • What exactly happens when try to delete the pdf file?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.

• Select View and click on preview panel.

• Select the pdf file.

• At the right corner you will be able to see preview panel.

• You can right click on it and delete the files.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Cannot delete file

1. Cannot delete file - Similar Threads - Cannot delete file

2. Cannot delete files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete files: I have a backup on my portable drive, where some files cannot be deleted, not with WinRar nor renaming at the Command Prompt either, they cannot be renamed in any method. These are system files for F.Fox. In this folder I have had several files that belongs to the long file...
  3. Cannot delete files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete files: I have a backup on my portable drive, where some files cannot be deleted, not with WinRar nor renaming at the Command Prompt either, they cannot be renamed in any method. These are system files for F.Fox. In this folder I have had several files that belongs to the long file...
  4. Cannot delete font file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete font file: I tried to delete a font file but it says it is used by the system1. It is not in the Windows' font file2. There is no application using the fileI tried to search but all of the suggestions only worked if the font is in the windows' font file, Anyone knows how to fix it?...
  5. File explorer cannot delete files

File explorer cannot delete files: Ever since I got my pc, I am unable to delete any of the files I have temporarily downloaded on it. The download option is grayed out, and so is move to Recycle Bin. The files are taking up unnecessary space in my computer. Please assist with the same. [ATTACH]...
  6. Cannot delete NEF files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete NEF files: Im running windows 10 pro, but i cannot delete NEF files from the recycle bin, all other files with delete ok. Anyone offer any help please. TIA 173084
  7. Cannot delete file.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete file.: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ehsf6bfozi851.png?width=357&format=png&auto=webp&s=b484c137d909e935316141ddfb9f2a578728aef1 Before you ask, yes, i've tried changing the owner on the folder and no, it doesn't help at all. This is a screenshot of the file itself, I'm the...
  8. Cannot delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete file: My file explorer (or whatever they call it nowadays) shows me a pdf file in a particular "documents" folder which has 0 bytes. For some reason I cannot delete it nor the folder it is in. I keep getting the message: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in xxx...
  9. Cannot delete a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete a file: Hello,Cannot delete some file the normal way or in admin power shell. It sits there from some days ago.When trying to delete it, I get an answer "it is opened in windows explorer".(If windows explorer is closed, I cannot see the file).Location of the file "C:/users/(my...
  10. Cannot delete File

Cannot delete File: Hi everyone I have been having some issues deleting a certain file from my computer. The image below shows the type of File as File, I have tried using command prompt, disk clean up, disk check for errors and plenty of other methods and yet it cannot be deleted. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive cannot be deleted by disk cleanup