Windows 10: Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

Discus and support Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Odelphi1, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Odelphi1 Win User

Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it says I am the owner of the file and have full control access to the file.I did a search in this forum to get advice and all the advice mentions going into safe mode to delete the files. I did that and it doesn't work. It also suggests changing the security permissions. I don't know what I can change them to th

:)

Odelphi1, Sep 27, 2022
  2. GregJ7 Win User

Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion?

My Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.657) PC created a memory dump file as the result of a BSoD. After rebooting, File Explorer showed a blank for its owner. I TAKEOWNed the file so my personal account was the owner and also ICACLS /reset its access list. Its only attribute was/is the one for "A"rchiving.

My personal account, which I was using, is an administrator. Its UAC setting is "Never notify."

Can anyone tell me why Windows 10 asks me to supply administrator permission to delete this file? That is, what did I miss in trying to convert this file to be just like any other personal file I might create? (I am unaware of any differences.) Is there some group policy I need to change so that Windows will actually recognize that I match being an "Administrator" for the purpose of deleting the file?

The access list for the file when I try to delete it is:
    Authenticated Users (Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write)
    SYSTEM (Full control and all the rest except Special permissions)
    Administrators (MyPCName\Administrators) (Full control and all the rest except Special permissions)
    Users (MyPCName\Users) (Read & Execute, Read)

My account has all of the effective access attributes (File properties -> Security tab -> Advanced -> Effective Access tab).

GregJ7, Sep 27, 2022
  3. stevednmc Win User
    Files in mediaplayer on W7

I have some files listed on my windows media player library showing that are no longer on my hard drive. It will not let me delete them for some reason. Waht can I do to get rid of these? I right click, asksme if I want to delete when I click on delete, but nothing happens after that. Obviously the files cannot be accessed when the location no longer exists, any ideas?

stevednmc, Sep 27, 2022
  4. Nergal Win User

Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

App for deleting files while being used by another process...

Most of the time, booting in safe mode, as administrator, will enable you to remove those files (maps).

however, there are some programs out there to do just whatyou ask, I once found one after some searching on google. So either try my suggestion, or in fact search on google perhaps?

"Force delete" will bring up enough info on this.

Nergal, Sep 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files. - Similar Threads - Cannot delete files

2. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  3. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  4. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  5. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  6. Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator: Okay. First of all, I know that Windows changed it that way. I've read the answers tothis thread and tried them already and the options were greyed out on both occasions. I am asking this because I've installed an old game to that directory and it keeps crashing. I'm guessing...
  7. Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present: This question concerns 64-bit Windows 10 system version 2004; OS Build 19041.685. I am struggling to figure out what could be causing the following error for both operating system and application files: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may...
  8. Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions: So I've got this weird problem where I try to delete these files and it says I can't delete them without admin privileges. My account is the administrator. So I went to Properties, Security, Advanced to try to change the permissions, but it won't let me change permissions. It...
  9. Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file,even though I have administrator...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file,even though I have administrator...: Some apps such as Musixmatch,Skype and Spotify,when I install them from Microsoft Store,seemingly become inaccessible for the Windows System.I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling them multiple times with and without the latest Windows Update was on 1809,am on 1909...
  10. I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership: I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership [ATTACH] but [ATTACH] I got this file while installing cheat engine and now i cannot uninstall it. I think its a virus or malware. Please help me. Should i wash my computer????? (i have important stuff) I also...