Windows 10: Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC

Discus and support Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm suddenly finding I can no longer delete any files in the OneDrive folders on my PC, even if OneDrive is no longer running. I've also tried deleting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sargasso1, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Sargasso1 Win User

Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC

I'm suddenly finding I can no longer delete any files in the OneDrive folders on my PC, even if OneDrive is no longer running. I've also tried deleting the files with the PC running in safe mode, but they still won't delete. Nothing whatsoever happens when I click on 'delete', no warning, no error message, nothing.

Looking in file properties I've also noticed that all the files in my OneDrive folders are set to read only, which refuses to unset. I can uncheck the setting and click 'OK', but if I look again it's back as read only. All the file and folder privileges are set as full control for everyone. Is this connected?

Does anyone have an answer to this extremely frustrating problem?

:)

Sargasso1, Dec 22, 2018

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Cannot delete folders or files on my PC in OneDrive folders

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback so far.

I followed your guidance; however, sadly it did not have any effect.

That said, I believe that I have now tracked it back to 25 August; the date when the issue started.
    This coincides with a windows update; from that point onward my OneDrive was dis-functional.

I did some trial and error and now have the files able to be deleted.
    Here is what I did. I closed OneDrive and disabled the OneDrive service. Then I devised a command script to do the following;

1. copy every existing file in the OneDrive tree to the same folder and add the suffix " - copy"
    2. move every existing file (excluding the newly copied files) to a non-OneDrive folder
    3. rename every newly copied file (from 1 above) to remove the suffix " - copy"
    4. delete every moved file from the non-OneDrive folder

There were close on 29,000 files to process totalling over 315Gb.

I then enabled OneDrive service and restarted OneDrive. The OneDrive client processed changes but saw the files as being the same; albeit that now the permissions were such that I can delete the files. The attributes of the files were the same;
    I even ran FC command to ensure that the two versions of the same file were identical.
    It is just one would not allow me to delete it when in the OneDrive folder.

Greg, this seems very weird but there it is. I have no idea what the issue was; however, I am very thankful that it is now working.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Regards,

Ed

QuestionTime1410, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC

Cannot delete folders or files on my PC in OneDrive folders

Hi,

I have never experienced a problem like this. It started in the last few weeks. I run Windows 10; fully up to date (incl. October 2018 update).

Problem: I am unable to delete any files or folders on my PC in the OneDrive folder (and sub-folders).

I can rename and move them on the PC; but I cannot delete them. When I delete them in Explorer, nothing happens.

I am logged in with Administrator permissions. Files on Demand is OFF. If I go to OneDrive online then I can delete the files and folders no problem. It is just the PC (i.e. client) that I have an issue with.

If I un-link the PC then I can delete the files or folders; when I then re-link OneDrive never stops processing changes and I am again unable to delete files / folders. I left it for a week and OneDrive just reported processing 4 changes - it never finishes.
    I ensured all files on all platforms were closed so nothing on OneDrive was open - I even turned off my iPhone to be sure.

I have paused the sync and re-started; no joy. I have to un-link. I have un-installed OneDrive and re-installed several times.

I have also reset OneDrive with the Run command %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset. This resulted in it re-synchronising and approximately 170,000 changes being processed (I have about 320Gb in OneDrive)
    and it took many hours. Afterwards; OneDrive was in sync and I could delete files / folders on the PC; however, within a few minutes I could not. I have done this five times now - it has spanned several days - and on only two of these occasions could I delete
    the files / folders afterwards.

I am open to any fresh ideas you may have out there. Is anyone aware of any known / recent issues with OneDrive client? Perhaps, is there an application that causes havoc with OneDrive?

Here's hoping.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

QuestionTime1410, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC

1. Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC - Similar Threads - Cannot delete files

2. Cannot delete folders created by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete folders created by OneDrive: I paid for a subscription to OneDrive and installed it on my Windows 10 Home desktop computer. I uploaded my Documents folder to OneDrive on the web. Then when I ran my synchronsation program, I noticed that OneDrive or something? had put copies of dozens of files in My...
  3. Cannot delete folders created by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete folders created by OneDrive: I paid for a subscription to OneDrive and installed it on my Windows 10 Home desktop computer. I uploaded my Documents folder to OneDrive on the web. Then when I ran my synchronsation program, I noticed that OneDrive or something? had put copies of dozens of files in My...
  4. Cannot delete folders created by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop

Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop: Hi,After unlinking Onedrive from my laptop, I still see the OneDrive folder. If I try to delete the folder, I get the next message: "You require permission from LAPTOP-XXXX/user to make changes to this folder"Is there any solution?...
  6. Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop: Hi,After unlinking Onedrive from my laptop, I still see the OneDrive folder. If I try to delete the folder, I get the next message: "You require permission from LAPTOP-XXXX/user to make changes to this folder"Is there any solution?...
  7. Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop

8. Delete all file and folders in OneDrive

Delete all file and folders in OneDrive: I have made several changes to the devices on my network and my OneDrive is now in a confused mess.I would like to remove all files and folders and remove all syncing, effectively restoring OneDrive to the as installed condition.How can I do this?...
  9. Acidentally deleted OneDrive folder in my PC

Acidentally deleted OneDrive folder in my PC: Hi, i screwed up the whole pc by deleting onedrive folder. I downloaded it again and most of my things are back but there are some important things that just doesnt work. Like, i cant open the downloads folder....
  10. Onedrive folder/file deletion

Onedrive folder/file deletion: Had this issue before today's cum update and still there. Local folders created within the default folders (Docs, Pictures, etc) can't be deleted and files within can't be either. If files is in a default folder vs a personally created sub-folder, they behave normally and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot delete onedrive file

2. why cant i delete files from onedrive

3. cannot delete files from onedrive

4. unable to delete onedrive folder,
  5. cant delete onedrive file,
  6. cannot delete onedrive folder from computer,
  7. cant delete files from onedrive,
  8. unable to delete files in onedrive,
  9. cannot delete onedrive folder,
  10. deleting whole folders on one drive,
  11. onedrive cannot delete files,