Windows 10: Cannot Delete Folder The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Discus and support Cannot Delete Folder The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to reinstall AutoCAD but this file is getting in my way, currently trying to do a clean uninstall but I keep getting this message when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Choa_K, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Choa_K Win User

Cannot Delete Folder The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I am trying to reinstall AutoCAD but this file is getting in my way, currently trying to do a clean uninstall but I keep getting this message when trying to delete this folder.I have tried changing the permissions of the folder to give full control to myself, changing the ownership of the folder, using CMD del /s /q <folder name>, and using applications such as DiskGenius to try to permanently delete the folder. I also made sure I was the administrator when doing this.How do I delete this folder?

:)

Choa_K, Sep 7, 2021
  2. MFX
    mfx Win User

Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Hi

Have a folder with some subfolders that just wont delete. Can move and rename. Cannot cut and paste to another drive.

I have tried the following which results in the same, just doesnt delete.
    Takeownership
    Grant me admin
    CMD Prompt running with admin del [foldername]
    Started Windows 10 in safe mode tried to delete - stays where it is.

Odd thing is this folder was originally in my Windows10 documents, I uninstalled a program called Kodi and it appeared to uninstall but left this folder behind.

I can browse the folder. Rename the main folder and its sub components. JUst wont delete.

Unable to delete the main folder or any subfolders/files.

No error messages or anything else to report. Very very odd.

Tried scanning with rootkit and antivirus just in case. Nothing flagged up.

Is it possible this is saved on a corrupt portion of the SSD drive?

When I go to the following location (I renamed it the main to stuck directory)

I then discovered the following sub folders called reports
    "Location is not available" [Directory and sub directory names listed below]"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

C:\Stuck directory\addons\plugin.audio.radio_de\resources\language.
    C:\Stuck directory\userdata\addon_data\script.extendedinfo\TheMovieDB
    C:\Stuck directory\userdata\addon_data\script.skinshortcuts

Have rebooted the system doing chkdsk /r etc. No luck.

Any solutions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Sep 7, 2021
  4. DiegoTrd Win User

Windows 10 - Folder on SSD "The File Or Directory Is Corrupted and Unreadable"

Hello,
    It says :"The File Or Directory Is Corrupted and Unreadable", when trying to open a recently created folder on the second SSD drive (D), after moving many files from SSD drive(C) to that newly folder, I was never able to access that
    folder, first time I tried it said that error message.
    On properties, general tab, it says Size: 0 bytes and Size on disk: 0 bytes
    What possible steps could one take to recover the files? (Already tried running chkdsk /f d: on CMD)
    What could have caused this? Thanks

DiegoTrd, Sep 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot Delete Folder The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable - Similar Threads - Cannot Delete Folder

2. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have windows 11 pro and would like to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable/025747a6-8b9d-461b-b38b-ed17c9e27801
  3. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.": I'm currently facing an issue with my external hard drive. There's a specific folder that I can't delete, and whenever I attempt to open it, an error message pops up saying "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.". I noticed this problem after my game crashed when...
  4. File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable: So the dog caught the cord on my surge protector and turned the computer off right as a file was being saved. now it says that the folder the file is in is not able to be read. I have run a chkdsk and had the following: Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 581 reparse...
  5. The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable.

The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable.: I added a new SSD to my Laptop and cloned my windows OS to it. It worked fine until I updated my Windows 10 to the latest. Now I'm getting these errors. I also tried reinstalling some Apps but it didn't work. Kindly helpSome options in Settings [ATTACH] As soon as I open...
  6. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable": Hello, I wanted to make a folder that had additional folders in it as well as the main folder with emojis you might use in text messages in the beginning of the name. For example, if I named a folder "Info," there is an emoji on Get Emoji Symbols a ".com" website of a light...
  7. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004, build 19041.172 on a desktop machine with utilizing a single SSD for the boot drive and Storage Spaces for all of my files. The storage spaces pool is using six physical drives for a total of 30 TB 27.2 actually setup with Parity to...
  8. The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable: Hi I turned on my Dell G5 today and every program that I wanted to open, show this error << the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable >> Both my c and d drive have this problem. And interesting thing is that all of programs will run when I right click and...
  9. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have 4 of these errors, NTFS failed to mount the volume. Error: {Corrupt File} The file or directory %hs is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. Volume GUID: {xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx} Volume Name: Guidance: The volume is recognized by...
  10. Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable": Hi Have a folder with some subfolders that just wont delete. Can move and rename. Cannot cut and paste to another drive. I have tried the following which results in the same, just doesnt delete. Takeownership Grant me admin CMD Prompt running with admin del...