Windows 10: Cannot delete folders

Discus and support Cannot delete folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used to use Memeo backup and the backup files it created got into my OneDrive folder when Microsoft decided to put my Desktop in OneDrive. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trippap, Apr 22, 2020.

1. trippap Win User

Cannot delete folders

I used to use Memeo backup and the backup files it created got into my OneDrive folder when Microsoft decided to put my Desktop in OneDrive. I have unlinked OneDrive, so I just have ordinary folders that contain the old Desktop folders. I have brought up an elevated command prompt and tried to del the offending folder and all subfolders. All I get is endless questions whether I am sure I want to delete everything. If I try to use File Explorer, I'm informed I need permission from me to delete the folders. I'm logged in as tripap on a computer named Haydn, so I believe my username is Haydn\tripap. That's the ID File Explorer is demanding. Something else is obviously going on. I assume some flags got set by Memeo on the folders that are preventing Windows from letting me delete the files. How can I figure out what is really blocking deletion, and override it?

:)

trippap, Apr 22, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Cannot delete folders :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Cannot delete folders :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 22, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Cannot delete folders

Delete a file folder.

In such cases it is often possible to use this 3-step process:

1. Move the folder to C:\
    2. Reboot
    3. Delete the folder

Frederik Long, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Cannot delete folders

1. Cannot delete folders - Similar Threads - Cannot delete folders

2. Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps: I'm trying to delete "C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.32762.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe". I have Full control under security, also checked advanced and it states Full control there. However when I try to delete any folder in windowsapps I get the...
  3. Cannot delete folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete folder: I am trying to delete a folder from my computer and I get the message that I have to have permission from "my computer name/wayne" Wayne is my middle name and for some reason that that is the name that the system has given me. I sure there is a way to change all that but I...
  4. Cannot Delete a folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Delete a folder: [ATTACH] New drive is created automatically [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-a-folder/5aacf868-efc9-473e-bea1-7a5b0fd9c9c7
  5. Cannot delete folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete folders: I have a bunch of folders which either are empty or I want to delete it. But when I try to delete it, it says the folder’s in use (even though it’s not) or it just doesn’t pop any of windows or confirmation window out. So what exactly is happening? submitted by /u/kolbyng...
  6. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I am the administrator and I cannot delete a folder. When I try to Change Ownership from SYSTEM [ATTACH] the window modal blinks and then Change is greyed out. [ATTACH] I've tried deleting from command prompt as well, but I get Access Denied....
  7. cannot delete folder

cannot delete folder: At my desktop, I create a folder but when I am going to delete the folder it shows an error message -"could not find this item". How can I solve this issue? Though I find an article on a website it does not fic my problem....
  8. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I have seen a few posts about how to delete a file or folder when 'Item Not Found' and 'Could not find this item' dialogue appears, but the thread is locked. I have tried to follow the answer given, re command prompt, but could not make it work. I am not a skilled user in...
  9. Cannot delete a folder

Cannot delete a folder: I want to delete a folder but when I try I get the following message: Error 0x8007018B: Access to the cloud file is denied. The folder I am trying to delete is the one in red. Path is "This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Users > Merle > OneDrive > Documents > My Documents > Yuma...
  10. Cannot Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Delete a Folder: When I try to delete the remaining folder after uninstalling a software in Program Files I get a message: "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder", although I'm the administrator. Please help me to fix this problem. 43032