Windows 10: Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users

Discus and support Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My subject accuracy is questionable, so I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible here. So I just bought a new laptop; the laptop itself isn't an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Faras Abyan, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users

My subject accuracy is questionable, so I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible here.

So I just bought a new laptop; the laptop itself isn't an officially distributed device where I live. When I received the laptop, it is quite clear that the seller already turned on and logged into the laptop, he created a local account under the name "Ariel". Probably to check on the specs and install some software or stuff like that.

Pretty disappointed at first, my plan was to immediately log in my Microsoft account into my new laptop, and quickly delete this "Ariel" account off the laptop. The login into the Microsoft part was smooth sailing, but the part after wasn't as quite.

First, I couldn't find this "Ariel" user on the "Family & other users" settings; the place where you normally create and delete local accounts.
    p.s. when I booted up the laptop for the first time, it says that "Ariel" is a local account

But then, when I access C:/Users, the folder "Ariel" is in there. All my files and download goes through this "Ariel" folder.

I ran SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe, accessed "Settings" under "User profiles", and there it was.

Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users f48b0a5f-f304-4bb7-82ed-c3f0685ad41a?upload=true.png

I'm already and administrator as far as I can tell, but I cannot delete or do anything about this "Ariel". I wanted to start on a clean slate but that means deleting all the things I've installed on the laptop, thus factory reset is my final resort.

Besides, there's no apparent problems so far with having this "Ariel", but it sure is extremely annoying.
    If there's a way to delete this "Ariel" off my laptop without the need of factory resetting the entire thing, that would be great.

I think that's all. I hope I explained it well enough.
    Looking forwards to some suggestions, thank you.

:)

Faras Abyan, Jan 3, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users

1. Enable the built in Administrator account (Win+R->lusrmgr.msc)

Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users [​IMG]
    2. Reboot and log in as Administrator
    3. Delete the folder under C:\users

topgundcp, Jan 3, 2021
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Kreij Win User

Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users

1. Cannot delete nor change user under C:/Users - Similar Threads - Cannot delete nor

2. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  3. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  4. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I cannot delete c:\users\my primary user.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot delete c:\users\my primary user.: I am giving my laptop to a friend and want to make sure all remnants of me are deletedc:\users\myprimary folder. I deleted all subfolders files that I saw in File Explorer but folder properties still shows lots of hard drive space taken up in the user folder. I deleted my...
  6. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  7. Changing the name of user under C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the name of user under C:\users: Windows 10 ver 20H2 build 19042.928 I just got a refurbished second hand computer and would like to change the user name which is shown under C:\users to one of my own.own liking. Will someone please tell me how, if possible, to do that? Thank you. 179010
  8. Unknown users folder under C:\Users\

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown users folder under C:\Users\: Hey So I noticed that I have my usual user folder in C:\Users\user and then another one which is basically C:\Users\user.LAPTOP-xxxxxxxx. The weird thing is that user.LAPTOP-xxxxxxxx is not the name of my laptop at all if I check under system information. Where is this...
  9. I cannot delete a user from C:/Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot delete a user from C:/Users: I have deleted the user from my computer, but still the folder remains under C:/Users and contains appdata with A LOT of storage being taken up from it. I am using an administrator account and have control over the folder. When I try to rmdir del in CMD access is denied....
  10. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...