Windows 10: Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive

Discus and support Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I transferred a D drive with an old WindowsApps folder used for Xbox Game Pass to a new computer. When I tried to put the D drive as the default save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jordandr, May 15, 2020.

1. Jordandr Win User

Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive

I transferred a D drive with an old WindowsApps folder used for Xbox Game Pass to a new computer. When I tried to put the D drive as the default save location it gives me error code 0x80070005.

I've already:

1. Made sure my time zone is correct
    2. Tried to delete in Safe Mode
    3. Made sure I am admin in general 2nd screenshot
    4. Set myself as admin of folder and all subfolders 1st screenshot
    5. Reset the Windows store page

How do I delete this old folder, so I can tell the Xbox Game app to save folders in the D drive?

Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive f7ae0e94-9967-4052-923d-0dff48a40e3b?upload=true.png Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive ea87999f-839b-4e9b-aedb-57aeb42a9cfe?upload=true.png Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive c6eeb4c7-58ec-435f-8486-eb906a475682?upload=true.png Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive f9aecaaf-38dd-4268-92ad-b401688e3827?upload=true.png

:)

Jordandr, May 15, 2020
  2. DadiB Win User

"D:\WindowsApps\Deleted" empty folder and lost apps installed on the D: drive

Expected:

Getting back ms store apps

Happening:

Under "D:\WindowsApps\" there's an empty "deleted" folder

Steps to reproduce it:

Have Windows 10 1803

Have in storage settings the "store apps in" set to the D: drive

Have a ms store app installed on the D: drive(In my case Rise Of The Tomb Raider)

Upgrade to Windows 10 1809

It should miss the app in the start menu

In ms store-> download the app

Downloads a few KB and shows the app again in the start menu, and you can use it normally

Refresh windows but without removing personal file(because I had troubles with internet access that I wasn't able to fix)

Wait it to reinstall windows

Look with administrator cmd dir command inside "D:\WindowsApps\" and you should see "appname_xyz" folder with inside all its data.

Change again the storage option to the D: drive (It was resetted by the refresh)

Reinstall the app from ms store to show it in start

You should now see that it will start downloading the app again (33 GB)

Stop the download

Check again with administrator cmd with dir inside "D:\WindowsApps\" and you should see a "deleted" folder of 0 bytes and the "appname_xyz" missing

Question

Is there a way to get back the "appname_xyz" folder with its data or it's too late? Also in case I should reinstall the app, which is paid and has a max of 10 pcs to be installed on, does it count as a new pc?

DadiB, May 15, 2020
  3. jkteddy77 Win User
    Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, May 15, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

There are two tools essential tools that everyone one should always have - Macrium Reflect Free and a dishwasher. *Smile.

cereberus, May 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive - Similar Threads - Cannot delete old

2. Cannot download to WindowsApps folder in D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot download to WindowsApps folder in D drive: Hi I am unable to access my WindowsApps folder in my D Drive. When I try to open it, it says "D:\WindowsApps is not accessible. Access is denied." If I go into properties->Security->advanced, it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object." and...
  3. Cannot download to WindowsApps folder in D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot download to WindowsApps folder in D drive: Hi I am unable to access my WindowsApps folder in my D Drive. When I try to open it, it says "D:\WindowsApps is not accessible. Access is denied." If I go into properties->Security->advanced, it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object." and...
  4. Cannot download to WindowsApps folder in D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting old windowsapps folder

Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  6. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  7. Deleting old windowsapps folder

8. Cannot delete folders located inside old WindowsApps

Cannot delete folders located inside old WindowsApps: Hi! I recently updated from Windows 10 to 11 and I have slight issue. While installing Windows 11, I formatted my main drive but I left out my other drive. I had games from Xbox App on my both drives and I deleted them before upgrade. So now I left out with folder on my other...
  9. Cant Delete The WindowsApps Folder In My "D: Drive"

Cant Delete The WindowsApps Folder In My "D: Drive": What Do I Need Help With? I just got a new PC, Since I Didnt Want To Spend Alot of money on a new hardrive so I just added my old 1TB Hardrive Onto my New PC... Ive had Xbox Gamepass for a while and loved it ive wanted to download Cluster Truck And Forza Horizen 4 Recently...
  10. Cannot access or delete old WindowsApps folder

Cannot access or delete old WindowsApps folder: Hi, So a few months ago I had a problem with an Insiders update so I had to reset my computer C: drive only. Prior to re-setting my computer, I had some official apps installed from Xbox Beta and Microsoft Store on the D: drive which is on a different hard drive than my...