Windows 10: Cannot delete or move pdf file on desktop

Discus and support Cannot delete or move pdf file on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by n4wwl, Dec 21, 2020.

1. n4wwl Win User

Cannot delete or move pdf file on desktop

I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running Command Prompt as an administrator but it says it cannot file the file specified. But there it is on the desktop, and I can open it using Edge. When I try to open it using Acrobat Adobe reader DC it says "The path does not exist."

I have tried every solution I can find online, including rebooting, scanning, etc. Nothing has worked so far.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

n4wwl, Dec 21, 2020

2. can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

Step 1: Turn off Preview pane in Windows Explorer

1. Open File Explorer, Click on View tab.
    2. Click on Preview option to hide or close
    3. Click on Desktop from the Navigation pane. Then try deleting the file.

Step 2: Check the default PDF application

1. Press Windows + I key to launch Windows Settings.
    2. Click on Apps and select Default apps from the left pane.
    3. Now scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type.
    4. Scroll and look for .pdf, .pdxml, and .pdx file type, then click on the + sign to change it to Edge.
    5. Then close Settings and try deleting the file.

Step 3: If the default app for PDF is Adobe Reader.

1. Open Adobe Reader. Go to Edit.
    2. Choose Preferences.
    3. From the Categories on the left, select Security (Enhanced).
    4. Uncheck the Enable Enhanced Security option.
    5. Try deleting the file

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 21, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Delete and Cut Files with Preview Pane Open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Have you tried to delete the pdf file in preview panel?
    • What exactly happens when try to delete the pdf file?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.

• Select View and click on preview panel.

• Select the pdf file.

• At the right corner you will be able to see preview panel.

• You can right click on it and delete the files.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot delete or move pdf file on desktop - Similar Threads - Cannot delete move

2. Pdf file cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pdf file cannot be deleted: Hi all,I need some help as I have 2 pdf files on desktop and I can't delete/rename/move literally nothing.Tried already all the advices who has been posted in old post, still no fixing the issue.They have been downloaded from a trust site tutoring site .First time asking here...
  3. Pdf file cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pdf file cannot be deleted: Hi all,I need some help as I have 2 pdf files on desktop and I can't delete/rename/move literally nothing.Tried already all the advices who has been posted in old post, still no fixing the issue.They have been downloaded from a trust site tutoring site .First time asking here...
  4. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  5. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  6. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop: HiSo I faced the issue where I wasn't able to open, delete, rename or move a pdf file with a long filename on the desktop. While browsing through old forums and discussions, I came across the following solutions which do not work:Changing propertiesEnable/disable the preview...
  8. Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop: HiSo I faced the issue where I wasn't able to open, delete, rename or move a pdf file with a long filename on the desktop. While browsing through old forums and discussions, I came across the following solutions which do not work:Changing propertiesEnable/disable the preview...
  9. pdf file on desktop cannot be deleted weird file name

pdf file on desktop cannot be deleted weird file name: Hi there, I downloaded this pdf and I can't open it, delete it, or edit it at all. It just sits there. The file name is wrong too since it contains characters like - or $ etc, but somehow it got saved on desktop. I have tried to use the cmd method but it returns "System...
  10. Cannot Delete PDF from Desktop

Cannot Delete PDF from Desktop: I have tried the following: -Restarting my computer -Turning off the preview pane -Pressing shift+delete -Punching my screen -Snapping my fingers -Wiggling my nose -Putting tape on the screen to cover the file -Yelling at my computer -Closing my eyes -Calling my IT...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pdf not deleting administrator

2. Im unable to open or delete a certain PDF file from my computer