Windows 10: Cannot delete or shrink partition on USB drive, "request is not supported"

Discus and support Cannot delete or shrink partition on USB drive, "request is not supported" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i have tried to shrink a partition on a USB drive the USB drive has a singular partition on it, however when i tell it to shrink 10 GB of the 60 GB on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chayceisawesome, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Cannot delete or shrink partition on USB drive, "request is not supported"

i have tried to shrink a partition on a USB drive the USB drive has a singular partition on it, however when i tell it to shrink 10 GB of the 60 GB on the USB, it says the action isnt supported. trying to delete the volume does the same. this is consistent on multiple windows 10 computers i own. what could be going on? it is a Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 USB drive, 64 GB

:)

Chayceisawesome, Sep 7, 2021

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Sep 7, 2021
  3. mars Win User
    Partition a USB Flash Drive

USB Partitioning

Do you know the technical part of it? How does the flipping of the removable happen? How can we partition a USB without using a 3rd party software? Can you suggest any programming language? and what algo should I use? thanks!

mars, Sep 7, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

Cannot delete or shrink partition on USB drive, "request is not supported"

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 7, 2021
Thema:

Cannot delete or shrink partition on USB drive, "request is not supported"

1. Cannot delete or shrink partition on USB drive, "request is not supported" - Similar Threads - Cannot delete shrink

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Cannot delete removable drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete removable drive partitions.: I have a microSD card with too many partitions and I want to delete the partitions, when I go to delete them and click "yes" on the warning message, nothing happens. Please help!...
  5. Cannot delete removable drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete removable drive partitions.: I have a microSD card with too many partitions and I want to delete the partitions, when I go to delete them and click "yes" on the warning message, nothing happens. Please help!...
  6. Cannot delete removable drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  8. Cannot shrink Windows partition beyond 4gb

Cannot shrink Windows partition beyond 4gb: I’m currently in the process of dualbooting Ubuntu along with my Windows 10 installation. Whenever I try to create a new partition for my linux installation, it doesn’t allow me to raise the megabytes above 4545 megabytes. I have 300gbs free on my HDD and I want atleast 100gb...
  9. Repair USB Flash Drive - Cordial Request for Support.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repair USB Flash Drive - Cordial Request for Support.: Hi I have a crash of my USB USB Usb Stick. Please write me what tool I have to fix this USB flash drive 4 GB - to start working correctly?[ATTACH] The disk is write-protected....
  10. shrink size of c drive while partitioning

shrink size of c drive while partitioning: Error "Access is denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shrink-size-of-c-drive-while-partitioning/9d56b50a-0b10-406b-bdd5-0bb96bdf9791"