Windows 10: Cannot delete remaining windows.old repository files

Discus and support Cannot delete remaining windows.old repository files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since recently updating Wn 10 Pro to 20H2 I've deleted the bulk of windows.old (1909) to get more storage space. But this folder cannot be deleted:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Terrypin Win User

Cannot delete remaining windows.old repository files

Since recently updating Wn 10 Pro to 20H2 I've deleted the bulk of windows.old (1909) to get more storage space. But this folder cannot be deleted:

Cannot delete remaining windows.old repository files [​IMG]

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

All attempts to delete it or its files gives the error shown.

I have taken ownership of the folder and contents. And the files are duplicates of those already in \Windows. Which also prompts the side question: why should anything from the old version still be in use?

Storage space is no longer an issue but tidiness (and curiosity) remain, so I'd much appreciate advice on removing this folder please.

:)

Terrypin, Mar 21, 2021
  2. Ed Zac Win User

Search for multiple images at once in a file folder / picture repository in windows 10 using a list

Issue: Need to search for multiple images at once in a file folder / picture repository
    in windows 10 consisting of thousands of images.

Image Repository Definition: Standard windows file located in my documents where thousands of images are stored, each image has a part number associated with it, the image repository supports our Kanban system and will
    support a future ERP system.

We have a Kanban card system in place that utilizes an image of the component or product as part of the Kanban card, the image repository that supports the Kanban system has over 6000 images and is growing.
    As previously stated each image in the image repository has a part number associated with it, our Kanban card application looks for the image with a corresponding part number and uses it to populate the Kanban card.

Goal:

I would like o be able to search for multiple images at once in the image repository through a list, which I will refer to as a control list,
    the list could have hundreds of part numbers...for a specific Kanban program.

Reason:

At times I need to review all the images associate wit a specific Kanban program and update them, I would like to use a simple list on notepad to pull all the images out of the Image repository so that I can update, deploy separately or delete.

• Can this be done in windows 10?
    • Is there a aftermarket utility that can do this?

If it can be done in Windows I will need concise steps on how to do this…

Thanks to anybody that can help

Ed Zac, Mar 21, 2021
  3. Windows old files deleting

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community. I will be glad to assist you.

I suggest you follow this steps and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

• If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.

• If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

• In the message that appears, click Delete Files.
    Hope this helps.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 21, 2021
  4. M3cael Win User

Only write one number to log file and delete old ones?

Hey,

I'm trying to have some software read from a .text file a number (GPU Temp) but the software will only the first number in a list (Or the first anything)

Is there a way to have to log file delete the previous entries and write the new number in it's place without any headers?

EDIT:

Sorry I'll try again.

I have some webcam software that can read a number (or whatever) from a text file and then it displays the number as an overlay.

See here: http://10.244.193.13:8081/

I was trying to use GPU-z to do this but as it logs as a list the webcam software can't update properly (also it reads the headings of the file and displays them instead)

Is there anyway to alter the logging to only output just the number (GPU Temp) and to delete the old numbers so the new value is the only value in the file.

M3cael, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot delete remaining windows.old repository files - Similar Threads - Cannot delete remaining

2. Delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete old windows update files: When I run 'Clean Up System files' option the following dialog is displayed.But when I click delete, the first selected item 'Windows Update Cleanup is never deleted.Due to this I am having a space problem on my C: drive.How can I safely delete at least some these files and...
  3. Delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete old windows update files: When I run 'Clean Up System files' option the following dialog is displayed.But when I click delete, the first selected item 'Windows Update Cleanup is never deleted.Due to this I am having a space problem on my C: drive.How can I safely delete at least some these files and...
  4. How to delete remaining temporary files in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete remaining temporary files in windows 10: It shows 24GB of temporary files in my System disk. When I navigate inside there's only few MBs except download folder to delete. Can't I delete the rest of the temporary files. At least a portion of it....
  5. deleting old files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    deleting old files: hi, so long story short, i have a small ssd so i am trying to free up some storage space. i often use a program called WinDirStat that scans my ssd and tells me exactly what type of files take up space and where. i ran it, and ended up finding 4gb of ".help" files. i am not...
  6. Deleting old files of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting old files of windows: Should I delete the older files of windows 10 versions on my laptop or should I keep them? submitted by /u/cCrUzCc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fbgexs/deleting_old_files_of_windows/
  7. viruses in file repository folder.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    viruses in file repository folder.: hi, my antivirus is detecting the malware - new.heur (variant graftor) in the file repository. I try to delete them but they appear again in the next scan and their number increases too. please help. thanks...
  8. Files ZAM.. try to delete but files remain. These are TRACE files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files ZAM.. try to delete but files remain. These are TRACE files: I try to delete ZAM... files but they remain. These are trace files. administrator ID? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-zam-try-to-delete-but-files-remain-these-are/42512d8a-0606-4aba-8329-949f0421886d"
  9. Deleting Windows Old Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting Windows Old Files: My Tablet just updated to Version 1803 Build 17134.81 As strange as it sounds, Windows Disk Cleanup says I have 11.5 GIGS! of "Old Windows Installation." Is this safe to delete/remove? 111537
  10. Windows 10.Old Folder cannot be Deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10.Old Folder cannot be Deleted: Hi guys i have Windows.old folder in my c drive every time i try to delete it says ''The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open another program Close the folder or file and try again." Here are the steps are tried to deleting 1. Try using...