Windows 10: Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC

Discus and support Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I had to format my SSD but I didn't delete anything from my D drive.. So the problem is that when I reinstalled Game Pass, I cant switch the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gothicpolar, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC

So I had to format my SSD but I didn't delete anything from my D drive.. So the problem is that when I reinstalled Game Pass, I cant switch the default install location to D because there is the "WindowsApps" folder which cannot be deleted. before the reason was permissions but now its that "The folder or a file in it is opened in another program" I cant remember the quote but you know what I mean .. I'm about to freak out with this..

Here is some steps I've tried

Changed the permissions, I have full access according to windows.

Force delete from CMD

Disk cleaner programs

Cant delete any games because Game Pass app doesn't think I have games

resmon.exe and looked at associated handles, ended tasks there.

:)

Gothicpolar, Aug 12, 2020
  2. RoshanV S Win User

uninstalled game pass games and yet they are in windowsapps ****

Why don't you take full ownership of your windowsapp folder then manually delete the game files.

RoshanV S, Aug 12, 2020
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 12, 2020
  4. jkteddy77 Win User

Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC

1. Cannot delete the WindowsApps folder made by Game Pass PC - Similar Threads - Cannot delete WindowsApps

2. Cannot delete/authorize myself to delete Gamepass games in WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete/authorize myself to delete Gamepass games in WindowsApps: To make a long story short: I had to wipe my C: drive and re-install Windows 10. Problem there is all my Xbox Gamepass games were set to install to my H: Drive. They're still there, but Gamepass does not recognize them. No problem, I can just delete and start over......
  3. Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps

Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps: I'm trying to delete "C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.32762.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe". I have Full control under security, also checked advanced and it states Full control there. However when I try to delete any folder in windowsapps I get the...
  4. Xbox Game pass WindowsApps folder help

Xbox Game pass WindowsApps folder help: Hello I am having an issue with my computer. I used to have the xbox game pass beta installed on my pc and it created a windows apps folder to store the games. some stuff happened to my pcs performance so i reset my pc but kept my files. The game pass beta app was deleted but...
  5. Cant remove Windowsapps folder left after game pass.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant remove Windowsapps folder left after game pass.: Hello I had to reinstall my windows since my SSD failed. I had on another disk some games that I downloaded through the game pass. Now I reinstalled the game pass program and it doesn't see those games, I also can't link the folder with games. And if I try to shift+delete...
  6. Cannot access or delete old WindowsApps folder

Cannot access or delete old WindowsApps folder: Hi, So a few months ago I had a problem with an Insiders update so I had to reset my computer C: drive only. Prior to re-setting my computer, I had some official apps installed from Xbox Beta and Microsoft Store on the D: drive which is on a different hard drive than my...
  7. Cannot delete WindowsApps Folder June 2020

Cannot delete WindowsApps Folder June 2020: Hi all, I have seen this question circulated everywhere and the issue still persists, some seem to have more luck than others. In brief, I am clearing out my PC of tons and tons of GBs of games, everything is fine except when I enter my SSD my OS is stored on an M.2 the...
  8. Can't DELETE files made by xbox game pass pc (beta)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't DELETE files made by xbox game pass pc (beta): SO windows game pass pc makes a folder called "WindowsApps" that is impossible to delete even if you got all the permissions A simple app shouldn't be able to do this Thanks Microsoft for ruining my F*cking ssd didn't even survive like a month I have seen more threads...
  9. uninstalled game pass games and yet they are in windowsapps ****

uninstalled game pass games and yet they are in windowsapps ****: Thought i uninstalled ark and sot then i find out its taking up like 200gb or my hard drive, but i cant seem to delete the folders from windowsapps so am i just doomed with whatever i install on gamepass i can never uninstall. Also when i try to change my default save...
  10. Not permissions in WindowsApps from Game Pass Pc

Not permissions in WindowsApps from Game Pass Pc: Hi! I'm having some problems when trying to modify any file from the "WindowsApps" folder which contains all the game installed from the Xbox PC app. When I try to edit any config file or copy any file into the folder, I either get a "Not permission" error or a "Not enought...