Windows 10: Cannot delete tmp folders

Discus and support Cannot delete tmp folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metro5053, May 31, 2016.

1. metro5053 Win User

Cannot delete tmp folders

Hi,
    small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You require permission from the administrator to make these changes. I have tried using the command prompt with:net user administrator /active:yes says the command completed successfully, but still cannot delete the folders.
    Example of the 50 folders below:

MSI6b9cd.tmp

Help appreciated please
    Regards
    Bob

:)

metro5053, May 31, 2016

2. Hundreds of MSI####.tmp files in C:/ Drive

Here's what helped me:

The ICACLS command.

Imagine my Windows ID is Joseph and I have hundreds of MSI*.tmp empty folders on c:\. I'm not going to change the security properties of each one, giving JOSEPH-AND-MARY\Joseph the ability to delete MSI1234.tmp and all the other MSI*.tmp folders.

No, I need a miracle! The ICACLS command is that miracle.

Step 1:

icacls c:\MSI*.tmp /grant JosephCannot delete tmp folders :(F,DE)

Step 2:

Now you can delete those pesky folders in Windows Explorer or any utility that deletes empty folders.

(Note: I did run TAKEOWN c:\MSI*.tmp first, so I'm not sure if that was necessary.)

SWalkerELT, May 31, 2016
  3. Print spooler

Documents freeze in my print spool. I clear the spool using %windir%\system32\spool\printers, however, there are .tmp files in the folder that I cannot delete. The printer freezes every time I print. What is solution?

TerryHolliday72, May 31, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Are they in the C:>Users>(Name)>Local>Temp Folder or just on C: Drive and it looks like a temp file not a folder.
    I find nothing on this file researching, some software must be doing this.

jds63, May 31, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Did you try with Disk cleanup ?

CountMike, May 31, 2016
  6. Hydranix Win User
    These are temporary directories created by .MSI files. MSI files are used to install applications. Have you installed any old software lately?

Using the root drive for temp files is a method used back before Windows XP SP3 was released.

To delete the files, you'll probably have to take ownership of the directories and their contents.

This command should do so. Careful though, this command should be used with caution as it will pretty much destroy any folders in the root of C: which start with "msi", which on a properly maintained system should not exists.

You will need to open the cmd prompt as admin.

Code: FOR /F "delims=*" %I IN ('DIR /B "C:\msi*"') DO ( TAKEOWN /F "%I" /R && RD /Q /S "%I" )[/quote]

Hydranix, May 31, 2016
  7. aftend89 Win User
    IF you load OS in safe mode you can delete these files without troubles

aftend89, May 31, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Also a good description. Wonder why they would end up on there instead of the user folder, if that is where they are.

MSI is an installer package file format used by Windows. Its name comes from the program’s original title, Microsoft Installer, which has since changed to Windows Installer. MSI files are used for installation, storage, and removal of programs. The files are contained in a package, which is used with the program’s client-side installer service, an .EXE file, to open and install the program.

jds63, May 31, 2016
  9. metro5053 Win User
    OK, tried to delete them in the Safe mode, still says I need administrator permission to carry out the action.
    They are on the C drive not in any folder just listed one after another in amongst Program files, Program files(x86), Windows etc.
    Hydranix, sorry don't really understand what to do, so have not tried it.
    Disc cleanup did not work, unfortunately. Haven't got a clue how they appeared there, being tmp files would have thought I could have deleted them.
    Really appreciated the advice
    Thanks and Regards
    Bob

metro5053, Jun 1, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Could you make a screenshot of what files/folders you mean with the directory visible in the address balk and post it please.

Example of directory in the address balk:
    Attachment 82913

11. axe0 New Member
Thema:

1. Cannot delete tmp folders - Similar Threads - Cannot delete tmp

2. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  3. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  4. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  5. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  6. What is the "TMP" folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "TMP" folder?: I have this "TMP" folder on my second drive : And inside of it, there are a lot of strange files :Can I delete this folder safely? Because some files are new from today in it 13 GB, so I don't know if it's a Windows thing...
  7. What is the "TMP" folder?

What is the "TMP" folder?: I have this "TMP" folder on my second drive : And inside of it, there are a lot of strange files :Can I delete this folder safely? Because some files are new from today in it 13 GB, so I don't know if it's a Windows thing...
  8. cannot delete Installer41427856.tmp form temp folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot delete Installer41427856.tmp form temp folder: cannot delete Installer41427856.tmp form temp folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-installer41427856tmp-form-temp/3796c70a-006a-4e21-8122-91ee2867bbb3
  9. What are these tmp folders for: is it ok to delete them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are these tmp folders for: is it ok to delete them?: I have multiple tw-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx.tmp folders inC:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local folder.They contain 299 files, 6,295 folders with a size of 34.4 MB. Most of the folders are tmp's such as tw-1b18-21dc-dfb5a.tmp. The ones I have checked have 0 bytes This...
  10. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder: I would like to know if TMP files in System Profile folder can safely be deleted ? Actual location..C:/ Users/Windows/System32/Config/Systemprofile.. I have about 10,000 or so ! Thank you 76758

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msi.tmp folders appearing in my c drive