Windows 10: Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist

Discus and support Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several folders under the USERS folder, but yet only have 2 user accounts set up. I have successfully been able to delete a few but some are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BernardP2, Oct 14, 2020.

1. BernardP2 Win User

Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist

I have several folders under the USERS folder, but yet only have 2 user accounts set up. I have successfully been able to delete a few but some are refusing to delete saying they are in use, when they are not. The user account does not exist anymore on the PC and when I try to add the user account again hoping to then delete it says the user account already exists on the PC. Each of these user accounts have 5 - 10Gb of space I am desperate to clear. What do I do? I have tried to take ownership but am getting errors there too. Please help.Running 64 Win10

:)

BernardP2, Oct 14, 2020

2. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist

1. Cannot delete user folders for users that dont exist - Similar Threads - Cannot delete user

2. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  3. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  4. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  5. Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User

Unable to delete the User folder of a non existant User: I used the 'restore from backup' option from control panel on my new win11 notebookusing a backup of my old win10 laptop. A seperate User folder for the data was created by default, but no actual user profile. Trying to delete the User folder results in this error: "you need...
  6. Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User: Hello,I deleted an account on my laptop using the Control Panel but the user's folder under C://Users still remains. I was able to delete all the folder's contents with the exception of a few hidden files. A different error pops up every time I try to delete the entire folder...
  7. Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User

Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User: Hello,I deleted an account on my laptop using the Control Panel but the user's folder under C://Users still remains. I was able to delete all the folder's contents with the exception of a few hidden files. A different error pops up every time I try to delete the entire folder...
  8. "TEMP" users in the Users folder cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "TEMP" users in the Users folder cannot be deleted: [ATTACH] There are three "temporary" users listed in the Users folder on my wife's machine. These appear to be remnants from other Windows faults - there are no users on the machine other than the one belonging to my wife, "Diana". The "TEMP" folders all have a Documents...
  9. Cannot delete user or change user folder name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot delete user or change user folder name: My friend gave me his desktop PC and assured me it was wiped clean for a fresh start however, his name is still on the user profile folder and his image still shows in the account section. When I click the photo, the image changes but the account doesn't as it still says...
  10. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9655