Windows 10: CANNOT DELETE windows.old (DiskCleanup and cmd.exe methods dont work)

Discus and support CANNOT DELETE windows.old (DiskCleanup and cmd.exe methods dont work) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was stupid and manually tried to delete windows.old. Didn't work. So then I decided to see how to properly do it. Well apparently by manually trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AndySween, Nov 2, 2017.

1. AndySween Win User

CANNOT DELETE windows.old (DiskCleanup and cmd.exe methods dont work)

I was stupid and manually tried to delete windows.old. Didn't work. So then I decided to see how to properly do it. Well apparently by manually trying to delete the files, when I tried to use diskcleanup and look for the "Previous Windows Installation" check box does not show up anywhere. I assume its because I'm an idiot and tried to delete windows.old myself manually. Hmph!!! After all that I tried doing the cmd.exe method. It ran but all files said, "Access Denied". So am I completely screwed? Do I need to completely reinstall windows now to fix this or is there some way to do this still? It takes up about 27 gigs of space so I would really like to free that up. Thank you for any advice.

:)

AndySween, Nov 2, 2017

2. Disk Cleanup is not removing Windows.old

Having joyfully installed Windows 10 Anniversary, I uninstalled Windows10upgrade no problem. Then going to Disk Cleanup to remove Windows.old, I unchecked everything in there apart from (forgot what it's called now) previous windows installment. I did that
    twice but the Windows.old is still there in my directory.

The Windows.old directory was and is showing 0 bytes. But when I checked it in Diskcleanup, there was 5.52 MB (maybe Gigs) showing.

I just now ran Diskcleanup again, and now the "previous Windows installment" (remember, I'm calling it this because I forgot the actual name of it) is not showing in there at all now. It's totally gone but still the Windows.old directory is still here in
    File Explorer.

What should I do with this Windows.old directory? Should I delete it and if doing so, is it going to cause my computer to go awry? Should I go back into Diskcleanup and clean everything out of there also? And why was Diskcleanup showing over 5 mb (or gigs)?

I've removed Windows.old on two other computers with Diskcleanup and no problem. But on this machine, for some strange reason, this folder does not want to go. Your advice as what to do with this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rubert Mumps, Nov 2, 2017
  3. I want to delete the Windows.old folder, how?

I'm on the C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe type this command yes delete be no ?

RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old

Truong Loan, Nov 2, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Nov 2, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Note that Option Two in that tutorial is your 'cmd.exe method' - it says it must be an elevated command prompt. Did you try in a normal command prompt?

Bree, Nov 2, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    There may be a driver in there that windows is still using, let it go 10 days and see if windows deletes it on its own.

But any live Linux version should let you go in and delete it.

AddRAM, Nov 2, 2017
  7. How you tried deleting Windows.old folder from Safe Mode.

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CANNOT DELETE windows.old (DiskCleanup and cmd.exe methods dont work) - Similar Threads - CANNOT DELETE old

2. Deleted .exe files off of old drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleted .exe files off of old drive: Does Win10 scour an old hard drive connected to a new usb and delete files before it allows it to load?I had to purchase a new win10 machine recently and after 10 1/2 years on my old machine, I got lazy about backing up documents to a separate thumb drive. The hard drive...
  3. command shutdown dont work in cmd

in Windows 10 Customization
    command shutdown dont work in cmd: When enter comand "shutdown -s " in CMD get message " shutdown' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" . What must do to solve this problem?...
  4. cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  5. cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator

cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  6. X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe: Bonjour j'ai un problème avec mon pc (un lenovo yoga 300). À la fin d'une mise à jour, j'ai dû redémarrer mon pc et après le redémarrage je tombe sur une page qui me demande de choisir en l'option *Dépannage ou *Éteindre le pc. [IMG] J'ai donc essayé l'option dépannage:...
  7. Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin): Hi! I tried to install a program to recover some lost pictures from an android phone. Later on some error popped up basically saying I couldn’t install the program. I’ve since then deleted the installer exe file. For some reason nothing was working so i force shutdown my...
  8. windows diskcleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows diskcleanup: Okay i Have contacted microsoft and I still have a problem with disc cleanup it shows 123kb temporary internet files with a lock then further down the list temporary files is now at 908 kb it grows larger everyday I have run scans for health check, restore health check...
  9. CMD Prompt Cannot Find exe That Certainly Exists

CMD Prompt Cannot Find exe That Certainly Exists: I'm trying to create a batch file to open to applications, Spotify and Rainmeter, simultaneously. Spotify is, well, obviously a music player and rainmeter is an app that runs plugins, in this case I use it to display a visualizer and metadata on the TV in my living room. I...
  10. Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted: At one point I added a Greek polytonic keyboard method but had deleted it long ago. However it still shows up at lower right corner and can be switched into. I tried time and language setting and control pannel change language preference menu but Greek does not show up in the...