Windows 10: Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results

Discus and support Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results in Cortana to solve the problem; Some items that show up from a Start Menu Quick Search will open with a double-click, or a R-click/Open. However noOutlook (was 2103, now '365')... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by GeoffWood1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results

Some items that show up from a Start Menu Quick Search will open with a double-click, or a R-click/Open.

However noOutlook (was 2103, now '365') emails, or files that do have a visible extension, are identified in the "Type' coulmn, and have the contents summary appended to the filename in brackets in the 'Name' column will open with a double-click, or even bring up a R-click menu at all.

Files without the bracketed contents summary open fine by either method, except Outlook messages which are no go at all.

Any ideas ?

cheers

geoff

:)

GeoffWood1, Jun 4, 2019
  2. Senkyx Win User

Include files from custom directories in quick search

Hello,

I have my files organized in various directories on disc D:, while Windows is installed on disc C:. I love accessing files and directories using search, so that I do not have to click through directories hierarchy to access wanted directory. In that manner,
    I hoped, that after I include whole disc D: into search index, I will be able to get advantage of quick search (accessed by Win+Q) to find whatever I want. This, however, did not happen. Let's see an example:

I want to open directory D:/School. So I open quick search (Win+Q) and type "School". No result is given, only option to Search my stuff. Only after I click that, and narrow my search options to directories only, School directory is provided as a search
    result. That is absolutely not effective!

After quick research, I found, that files and directories in Libraries are provided directly in quick search. So I included all directories on disc D: into various libraries hoping for better results. I waited long time (for now it will be more than month)
    so that search index can be built again, but it did not help! I don't know why, but whatever I store in library directly is shown in quick search. Another files stored in directories included into the library is not.

I am having headache for trying to find any possible way to finally get my files listed in quick search, for without this, all that search feature is nothing but useless.

Does anyone know any way how to include my custom directories on disc D: into quick search results?

Thanks for any answer!

Senkyx, Jun 4, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results

File Explorer Search: Results not opening

When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them.

Before search:

Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results [​IMG]

After search for "Get"

Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results [​IMG]

Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does zilch.

nigelmercier, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results

1. Cannot directly open some files from Win 10 quick search results - Similar Threads - Cannot directly open

2. Files missing from File Explorer Search Results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files missing from File Explorer Search Results: I recently migrated from an older Windows 10 computer to a newer Windows 11 computer. On the new device, I cannot get search to work correctly. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I know of and nothing seems to work.The problem is that .DOC files are not returned in some...
  3. Files missing from File Explorer Search Results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files missing from File Explorer Search Results: I recently migrated from an older Windows 10 computer to a newer Windows 11 computer. On the new device, I cannot get search to work correctly. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I know of and nothing seems to work.The problem is that .DOC files are not returned in some...
  4. Opening files from search results is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening files from search results is very slow: We have lots of .jpg files saved across multiple network shares. One of our users will typically search for a particular .jpg and open it from the search results window.Recently, when opening directly from the search results window the picture viewer opens with a blank black...
  5. Search in file explorer from start menu opens and then quickly closes

in Windows 10 Support
    Search in file explorer from start menu opens and then quickly closes: Hello, In windows 10 V21H1 I am trying to do a text search from the start menu. I hit start, type a few characters, click "Documents" along the top and then click "search in file explorer". This very quickly opens up a file explorer window which then immediately closes. My...
  6. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results: Try this: Open Windows Explorer Go to Quick access -> Desktop Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document Search "New Text Document" without quotes In the search results, right-click "New Text Document.txt" -> Send to -> Desktop create shortcut Go back to Quick access...
  7. Recent files open by an App in search result

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent files open by an App in search result: How do i clear recent files open by an App in search result? I've try to clear all history from Explorer's Option I've try to Disable "Show recently opened item in jump list...." at start setting. please help Here is the recent that i mean, tat colored by yellow in...
  8. Win 10 search not finding some files

in Cortana
    Win 10 search not finding some files: I am having a BSOD issue when waking from sleep. circlass.sys is the suspect along with hcw89.sys. This issue is in another thread. Under my normal account, a search of C:\ fails to find hcw89.sys. If I log in as "standard user" search quickly finds some "hcw" files....
  9. Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Search cannot find some of my new files: I recently completed my upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. However I now notice that when I save some files, Win 10 does not seem to be able to find them. When I use search I get the following message: "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff."...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...