Windows 10: Cannot disable a startup program because it does not appear on the Startup tab in Task Manager

Discus and support Cannot disable a startup program because it does not appear on the Startup tab in Task Manager in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Most Windows applications provide the ability to turn off their "Run on Startup" feature in the settings menu, as they should. Unfortunately, we also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RickSch, Sep 20, 2019.

1. RickSch Win User

Cannot disable a startup program because it does not appear on the Startup tab in Task Manager

Most Windows applications provide the ability to turn off their "Run on Startup" feature in the settings menu, as they should. Unfortunately, we also know that there are programs out there that do not make it as easy to do so. Thankfully, Windows 10 provides a way to easily see all the applications allowed to launching on startup through the Task Manager in the Startup tab. Through this tool, we have the ability to enable or disable programs allowed to fire up when we start our operating system.

I've run into a problem, however. Some time ago I downloaded and used a program called Lonely Screen, a screen mirroring app for iOS and Windows. While I've used it a lot in the past, my need for it is not as frequent as it used to be. As hinted at above, this particular program does not have an easy way to stop it from launching on startup. Furthermore, the program does not show up at all in the Startup tab of the Task Manager despite the fact that it most definitely launches itself on startup.

My problem and the question I ask the community is this: Why wouldn't an automatically launched program show up on the Startup tab of the Task Manager and how do I disable it?

:)

RickSch, Sep 20, 2019
  2. mad4some Win User

Startup tab in Task Manager empty??

BUMP! can someone check there startup tab in Task manager and see if it lists any programs with the enable/disable option like in 8/8.1 Thanks!

mad4some, Sep 20, 2019
  3. mad4some Win User
    Startup tab in Task Manager empty??

Hello, I've been on 10 Home since the 29th (Lenovo Flex 2 laptop) and my Task Manager > Startup tab is empty. I have all the programs on my pc that were on it before the upgrade (from 8.1) and I have added a few since then but the startup page just has a greyed out "there are no startup items to display" showing. I just recently installed Chrome and I'm certain that it should be there. Anybody have this??? Comments/ideas please, thanks Mark

BUMP! can someone check there startup tab in Task manager and see if it lists any programs with the enable/disable option like in 8/8.1

mad4some, Sep 20, 2019
  4. Edenuzki Win User

Cannot disable a startup program because it does not appear on the Startup tab in Task Manager

Programs not showing in startup tab in task manager

I recently discovered that the apps I set to run on startup were not open, I had to run them manually. Thought it was a fluke but it happened the next day. I thought, no problem, I'll just open up the task manager startup tab... and then I discovered that
    the programs I want to start are not listed (Steam and Discord)

Here is a screenshot of my task manager startup tab if you need it. (A lot of programs have been removed from it for some reason)

https://puu.sh/Dyunv/6b1a653db7.png

Help would be appreciated on how to add these programs back.

Thank you.

Edenuzki, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot disable a startup program because it does not appear on the Startup tab in Task Manager - Similar Threads - Cannot disable startup

2. No programs appearing in Startup setting page or in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    No programs appearing in Startup setting page or in Task Manager: Not a single program appears in the Startup setting page or in Task Manager. I can still edit the little sorting tool for programs name, status, startup impact I've done a fresh reset of windows deleting all of my programs but keeping files. I've updated all drivers and...
  3. Task Manager - Startup tab

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Manager - Startup tab: I found these 3 entries and am wondering why when I right click, the "Open file location" and "Properties" are greyed out. Hoping someone can help me find out what these are win10 version 2004 Thanks Richard [img] 169438
  4. Task Manager Startup tab does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Task Manager Startup tab does not work: Recently I did a reinstall of windows 10 and when I go to task manager to disable apps at startup, there was nothing there. I found the Startup folder was missing in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, so I created it, restarted and there...
  5. Outlook Appearing on Startup But Not showing in Task Manager - Startup

Outlook Appearing on Startup But Not showing in Task Manager - Startup: I'm trying to remove Outlook from opening whenever I sign-in to my computer. I have tried to go through msconfig > Startup and it redirects me to Task Manager. Outlook, or Office in general, doesn't show in the Startup section of Task Manager. This is really frustrating...
  6. Program on Task Manager Startup tab

in Windows 10 Support
    Program on Task Manager Startup tab: I wanted to disable a few startup programs and there is a program called "Program" with blank paper icon: [img] What is it? Could it be some sort of malware / virus? Thanks! 143714
  7. Programs not showing in startup tab in task manager

Programs not showing in startup tab in task manager: I recently discovered that the apps I set to run on startup were not open, I had to run them manually. Thought it was a fluke but it happened the next day. I thought, no problem, I'll just open up the task manager startup tab... and then I discovered that the programs I want...
  8. Task manager/startup tab

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager/startup tab: I'm getting ready to clone a SSD and replace the HDD on an older laptop running Win 10 1809 on a core i7-5720M with 8 GB ram. I've cleaned it up best I know how short of running sfc /scannow... which I'm getting ready to do before the clone. I'm curious what the BIOS time...
  9. Startup tab in Task Manager empty??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup tab in Task Manager empty??: Hello, I've been on 10 Home since the 29th (Lenovo Flex 2 laptop) and my Task Manager > Startup tab is empty. I have all the programs on my pc that were on it before the upgrade (from 8.1) and I have added a few since then but the startup page just has a greyed out "there are...
  10. Cannot manage startup tasks?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot manage startup tasks?: What's missing in this picture? Hint, I want to manage my startup tasks... [img] 45245

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does disabling a startup app mean you cant run it