Windows 10: Cannot Disable Caps Lock Key -- Despite Repeatedly Changing Registry Entries; Exactly As...

Discus and support Cannot Disable Caps Lock Key -- Despite Repeatedly Changing Registry Entries; Exactly As... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings M-Soft Community Forum, I have the most frustrating problem --- I cannot disable my CAPS LOCKS KEY --- Despite repeatedly changing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidBlaikie, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Cannot Disable Caps Lock Key -- Despite Repeatedly Changing Registry Entries; Exactly As...

Greetings M-Soft Community Forum,

I have the most frustrating problem ---

I cannot disable my CAPS LOCKS KEY ---

Despite repeatedly changing registry entries; exactly and precisely, as per the following 2 sets of website instructions (which are both exactly the same).

https://mywindowshub.com/enable-disable-caps-lock-key-windows-10/

https://www.wikihow.com/Disable-the-Capslock-Key-in-Windows

I have gone through all the steps; very slowly, painstakingly and carefully -- STEP BY STEP --
    --- Logged in, both as MYSELF, with full permissions ---- as well as the ADMINISTRATOR ---

------ And redone the REGISTRY ENTRIES (exactly as per the above website instructions), repeatedly ensuring all my BINARY CODE entries are EXACTLY CORRECT -------- And have repeatedly RESTARTED my laptop ---

--------------- But still, the CAPS LOCK KEY --- cannot be disabled!

I have WINDOWS 10 PRO on my laptop (DELL XPS 15) --

--- And if anyone can help me to permanently DISABLE both the CAPS LOCK KEY (and also the INSERT KEY; to also deactivate "INSERT", one just has to use a longer binary code, as per the 2nd weblink above) ---- I will be extremely grateful.

Regards & Thanks,

David

:)

DavidBlaikie, Nov 28, 2018

2. How to disable Caps Lock Key in Windows 10?

I hope you are not an engineer, because there is a very easy way to disable the caps lock key using the registry. And I mean, single entry in KeyboardLayout. I did exactly this to switch my caps lock to be the escape key because caps lock is an utterly useless
    key and escape is very frequently used with software development. My caps lock key, despite acting as an escape key, got stuck on with no way to turn it off other than reboot, which triggered a 30 minute update blo cking my work. Please do not make false claims
    that something is not possible without understanding whether something actually is.

For anyone trying to figure this out, HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

From here create a binary entry called "Scancode Map" with value "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 3A 00 46 00 01 00 3A 00 00 00 00 00", I think this may rebind scroll lock to caps lock however but my computer was being finicky with caps lock. This binds
    it to escape, but if you look up how to modify Scancode Map you can find the values. It's basically sets of four 00, first being null, second saying how many entries are being modified, then the following sets are the mapping (like 3A to 46 being caps lock
    is now escape) followed by a null again.

FJEIOSJFEIOSJFEIOSFES, Nov 28, 2018
  3. Matheu G Win User
    How to disable Caps Lock Key in Windows 10?

AntonyJose,

Why would you suggest starting the on screen keyboard? As a Microsoft engineer, you should already be aware there is no option to disable the caps lock key. So what exactly is the real solution to disable the caps lock key in Windows 10, keeping in mind
    that previous solutions for earlier Windows OS does not work with Windows 10.

Matheu G, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Cannot Disable Caps Lock Key -- Despite Repeatedly Changing Registry Entries; Exactly As...

Disable Caps Lock on Windows 10?

The below does not disable CAPS LOCK; instead it converts CAPS LOCK into SHIFT LOCK.

• Right-click Start
    • Choose Control Panel.
    • Under Clock, Language and Region, choose
      Change input methods.
    • On the left, choose
      Advanced Settings.
    • Near the bottom, click on
      Change language bar hot keys (this is a blue link)
    • On the Advanced Key Settings tab, select Press the Shift key
      radio button.
    • Click OK, then Save
    After this change:

• You press the CAPS LOCK key puts the keyboard in all-caps mode
    • You press the SHIFT key to turn off CAPS LOCK and exit all-caps mode.
      • Note that pressing CAPS LOCK again
        will not turn off CAPS LOCK; only by pressing either SHIFT key will CAPS LOCK turn off.
    This is similar behavior to how the SHIFT LOCK key works on typewriters.

blackeneth, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Disable Caps Lock Key -- Despite Repeatedly Changing Registry Entries; Exactly As...

1. Cannot Disable Caps Lock Key -- Despite Repeatedly Changing Registry Entries; Exactly As... - Similar Threads - Cannot Disable Caps

2. Least complicated way to disable the caps lock key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Least complicated way to disable the caps lock key?: Just got a new Thinkpad and keep accidently hitting the caps lock. On my old laptop I simply popped the key off, but I hate to that to a brand new computer. There must be a software way to do it? Thank you! submitted by /u/AKSupplyLife [link] [comments]...
  3. caps lock key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    caps lock key: Hi, after win 11 pro update the visual mode of my caps lock and num lock keypad doesn't work, i tried everything again but it doesn't work. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-key/9272a23b-a780-4442-abd3-c66017b299b6
  4. caps lock key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caps lock key: Hi, after win 11 pro update the visual mode of my caps lock and num lock keypad doesn't work, i tried everything again but it doesn't work. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-key/9272a23b-a780-4442-abd3-c66017b299b6
  5. Caps Lock key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Caps Lock key: My caps lock key isn't working when pressed. It's a Laptop and I've attached an external keyboard and it doesn't work on there either. Things I've tried: 1 re-writing the registry for caps lock by forcing it off and then back on. 2 re-map the key to another key still...
  6. Caps Lock Key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Caps Lock Key: HI, my caps lock key on my laptop is acting strange. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't work in Word, but does on the internet, but I can't turn it off. I plugged in another keyboard into my laptop, and it still didn't work, so it's not a problem with the...
  7. Caps Lock key not working? Enable or Disable Caps Lock on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Caps Lock key not working? Enable or Disable Caps Lock on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Caps Lock key on any computer is a really useful key when it comes to typing anything in block letters really easily. But sometimes while intending to use the Tab key or Shift key, the user tends to hit the Caps Lock key [...] This post Caps Lock key not...
  8. Why is my caps lock not working despite key lighting up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is my caps lock not working despite key lighting up?: When trying ro use caps lock on laptop it is lowercase despite the caps light being illuminated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-caps-lock-not-working-despite-key/5b150908-220f-469d-8670-d64e2707ea75
  9. Caps Lock Key: Disabling Of ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Caps Lock Key: Disabling Of ?: Hello, I seem to continually hit the Caps Lock key on the keyboard, and not noticing it. Drives me crazy. Is there any (safe) simple way to disable it, permanently ? I have Caps Lock Changer, but you have to do it for each session. Would like to do it just once,...
  10. Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10 [img] Information Caps Lock is a button on a keyboard that changes if a letter should be capitalized or not. This tutorial will show you how to enable...