Windows 10: cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup"

Discus and support cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been doing nearly all the Microsoft updates on my Windows 10 PC until recently when they failed to work (see 2nd image below), due to the pop up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AAJBNZ, Sep 28, 2019.

1. AAJBNZ Win User

cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup"

I have been doing nearly all the Microsoft updates on my Windows 10 PC until recently when they failed to work (see 2nd image below), due to the pop up window stating "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" (see image below).

I am not trying to install Window 10 (as I am already running it), only trying to update my PC so the software fixes are current.

Does Microsoft have fix to remove this annoying error?

Thanks

AB

cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" 84015deb-499d-4430-bdd4-3d397487adbd?upload=true.png cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" f8df93cd-008b-4898-91b8-39013e656d48?upload=true.png

:)

AAJBNZ, Sep 28, 2019
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

i have been installing Windows 7 Ultimate x86 OEM from my Kingston G2 8gb usb for over 6month now, and it's formattet as NTFS but you need to active the partition on the usb flash drive to get it to boot propperly and give it the barcode that the Windows 7 disc have.

i have use this guide several times but once the usb flash drive's partition is activated you never need to do that again.

Guide: How to Install Windows 7 From USB Drive without Windows 7 iso dvd - Blogsdna.com

puma99dk|, Sep 28, 2019
  3. 7.62 Win User
    Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

USB drive doesnt show up, even after a format through windows (XP)

Any suggestions?

4. thraxed Win User

cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup"

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" - Similar Threads - cannot update due

2. Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".: ProblemWindows Setup failed with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".See Screenshot 2, below.For Solution, see the next message in this thread... - Of 13th Jan 2022, by Sumit Dhiman-Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Independent Advisor. - Many thanks...
  3. Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive: Upon booting the computer from my usb flash drive which has the windows 10 20H2 ISO using Rufus, I am met with a screen which has a white line on the top left corner of my screen. After blinking for a few seconds, the Windows Logo shows for a split second and then the system...
  4. Cannot use readyboost on a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot use readyboost on a USB Flash Drive: I'm on a Windows 10 PC. I realized that I use quite a bit of my memory, so I decided to use a USB flash drive as a supplement. All the tutorials I see want me to use something in Windows called ReadyBoost. I plug in four different flash drives and ReadyBoost does not show in...
  5. "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

"This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup": Hi, I've been trying to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on my laptop specifications below, but I seem to get this error no matter what I try. The update doesn't show up in the "Check for updates" utility on the UWP control panel, and so I've tried using the upgrade tool...
  6. Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup: I have Windows 1803 and it keeps urging me to upgrade. I installed the windows upgrade assistant. It downloads 1903, but then tells me it can't be installed on a USB flash drive. Thing is, I don't have a USB flash drive on the system. I have a SSD, but Windows can be...
  7. "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up."

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up.": So, I'm trying to upgrade my windows 10 to the newest version but when I try I get the "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up." error. The only external device I have plugged in is a hard drive with 84.3 GB of space available. My C: drive has 18 GB...
  8. 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....: I am running WIN 10 on a desktop PC and as of Monday I had all the current release updates installed (Not an insider on this PC) Tuesday night I used the "check for updates" and walked away. This AM I had an error message. I selected the "Fix issue" radio button and got...
  9. "You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?

"You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?: My internet searches on that message have yielded two ways of "fixing" that message when trying to install Windows 10 updates using a downloaded Windows.ISO file. The fixes are here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ash-drive.html My question is: Why are those...
  10. Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive: How to: Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive How to Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to manually setup Windows 10 To Go from any Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 system and run Windows 10 from a USB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. You can’t install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup

2. WIN 8.1 UPGRADE WIN 10 ERROR you cant install windows on a USB flashdrive using setup

3. windows 10 update assistant error You cant install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using setup

4. mengatasi you cant install windows on a flash drive using setup,
  5. You can’t Install Windows on a USB flash Drive Using Setup,
  6. windows ten update you cant install windows on a virtual drive,
  7. windows 10 update assistant cannot install on usb