Windows 10: Cannot download .exe files

Discus and support Cannot download .exe files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Greetings everyone, I'm having an issue with my Windows 10 installation : Windows is blocking every .exe file download. All the solutions I've... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nathan_075, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Cannot download .exe files

Greetings everyone,

I'm having an issue with my Windows 10 installation : Windows is blocking every .exe file download.

All the solutions I've found consisted in updating the internet options... Thus, I am joining a screenshot of my internet options + Windows defender settings at the end of this message.

Is there any way I can solve this ?

Thanks in advance,

Cannot download .exe files 4c6ac875-a8d6-43ec-938d-7665ec54c508?upload=true.png

Cannot download .exe files c79141eb-1965-47a5-9f4c-1befb49e5642?upload=true.png

Cannot download .exe files 6610a9f4-2e88-4439-a3fb-29ee93541761?upload=true.png

:)

nathan_075, Mar 21, 2021

2. Exe file downloading issue

Hello,

To better assist you, we would like to know more about your concern. Can you answer the questions below:

• Did you make any recent changes on your Windows 10 PC before this issue happened?
    • Is there any error message when you try to download an .exe file?
    • What happens when you try to download an .exe file?

We'll keep an eye for your response so we can assist you promptly.

Jennifer Bri, Mar 21, 2021
  3. Exe file

New PC

Windows 10

Trying to download Chrome browser (exe file)

when trying to open, prompts open with and list programs to open with

will not allow exe file.

LuisValentin1, Mar 21, 2021
  4. Cannot download .exe files

unable to download and run .exe files

Hi Shashikiran,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Was the download of .exe file successful?

• What is the exact error message that you receive?

Try the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. If not, I would suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1: Boot the computer to Safe Mode. In Safe Mode computer starts with
    minimal set of drivers and files.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2:
    If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

If the issue persists, try this:

Method 2: I suggest you to perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan from Safe Mode and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Hope this information helps. Do let us know about the status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

Cannot download .exe files

1. Cannot download .exe files - Similar Threads - Cannot download exe

2. Windows cannot find .exe file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot find .exe file.: I've been trying to fix this problem for about a week and nothing has worked. Whenever I open a game, I get this. All I have to do is press "ok" about four times and it goes away. It's getting very annoying. Any help would be very appreciated. [ATTACH]...
  3. Cannot open ANY .exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open ANY .exe file: Hi all, Sorry for the style. I’m on my phone. So today I installed Emacs from gnu.org, and opened my first .sml file. Later I tried to open the .sml by double click it and I think I chose Emacs to open it. Then suddenly a console prompts out and it changes all of the...
  4. Cannot download files with an EXE extension

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot download files with an EXE extension: This all started when I went to install Visual Studio 2019. I removed Visual Studio 2017, and cleaned out the folders left behind. When I went to install it, I could not download it with Chrome with Chrome reporting it as being blocked. I do not have "Safe Browsing"...
  5. Downloading an .exe file

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Downloading an .exe file: I've tried to download .exe files, but I get a message that this is not a Microsoft-verified file - then it wants me to go to the Microsoft Store, and I don't want to do this, I want to download the .exe file I started. How can I bypass this message? Thank you....
  6. Cannot open .exe files in Windows10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open .exe files in Windows10: I am unable to open any .exe files on my Windows10 desktop computer. Sometimes absolutely nothing happens when I double click on the .exe file. And sometimes I get messages like "Can't initialize plug-ins directory..." or "error5: Access is denied". I followed the advice...
  7. Cannot Run An .Exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Run An .Exe file: I've got maybe two problems: . I put the .exe file folder in the system path but still get a 'file not found' error when it is called from another prog. and that should have been foolproof because I used the 'browse' thing. So that's maybe a problem with the path thing. ....
  8. Cannot install a downloaded .exe file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install a downloaded .exe file: I have a bizarre situation where I download a program from a website and the setup .exe file appears correctly in the Download folder. When I double-click the .exe file to install it, it disappears from the Download folder. Is there an issue with my Windows 10 registry? I...
  9. Downloaded Exe file can not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloaded Exe file can not open: Good day I downloaded an exe file but can not open it. Error message This app can not run on your pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloaded-exe-file-can-not-open/fa456acc-5213-413e-8fa7-1513b4f9ea11"
  10. Cannot open. exe files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open. exe files: When I am trying to open . exe file I am getting a message "The system cannot find the file specified " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cannot-open-exe-files/b3c0e678-448b-473e-8c29-6a0cc1961698