Windows 10: Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge

Discus and support Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I tried to download virtualbox in 21H1 using Edge and got message download was blocked as potentially unsafe. So I checked smartscreen settings in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by cereberus, May 29, 2021.

1. cereberus Win User

Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge

I tried to download virtualbox in 21H1 using Edge and got message download was blocked as potentially unsafe. So I checked smartscreen settings in Windows sSecurity in case they had been turned on with update but they were off including settings for Edge. I checked in Task Manager and smartscreen was running. Killed task and tried to download again, but no dfference, and smartscreen was running again. So I tried chrome, and it downloaded fine. So it seems Edge is ignoring setting in Windows Security!!

:)

cereberus, May 29, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Google Protecting users from insecure downloads in Google Chrome

Source: Chromium Blog: Protecting users from insecure downloads in Google Chrome

Brink, May 29, 2021
  3. How can I set EDGE to by default download to D:\Downloads

Hi:

I do not use Edge, but here is one suggested method (it dates from Aug 2015, but I presume the steps are still valid):

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location - gHacks Tech News

EDIT: And here is a tutorial right here in tenforums.com:
    Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, May 29, 2021
  4. Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 29, 2021
Thema:

Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge

1. Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge - Similar Threads - Cannot download files

2. Failed update download due to 'insecure connection'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed update download due to 'insecure connection': I'm having a nightmare with my W10 upgrade purchased copy, not free download refusing to install my Cubase 11 updates due to InstallFiles.cab missing. I have finally tracked down the required file from the Microsoft Update catalogue: November 30, 2020—KB4586853 OS Builds...
  3. Failed update download due to 'insecure connection'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed update download due to 'insecure connection': I'm having a nightmare with my W10 upgrade purchased copy, not free download refusing to install my Cubase 11 updates due to InstallFiles.cab missing. I have finally tracked down the required file from the Microsoft Update catalogue: November 30, 2020—KB4586853 OS Builds...
  4. Failed update download due to 'insecure connection'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Edge is not download any files

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is not download any files: This is happening on Windows 7 but fix should apply for any Windows PC. I was downloading a file that was only 4.0 KB. After 30 minute I went to close Edge and got this: It should have loaded in a matter of seconds. I thought about uninstalling Edge and then downloading the...
  6. microsoft edge flags

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    microsoft edge flags: in edge flags options there is no option to select PlayReady Experimental HEVC option though i have installed HEVC video extension what to do to play HD and 4K videos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-flags/e224e893-ec44-421e-9795-4d7066e6c788
  7. Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...: Hey, I'm having issues downloading certain files on my desktop PC (latest Windows 10). Things like https://download.jetbrains.com/idea/ideaIC-2020.2.2.exe and https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/architect/ just cause an error with the message...
  8. Flag settings for making edge faster

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flag settings for making edge faster: Suggest some flag settings to make edge chromium faster how to pin twitter on taskbar. Suggestions please submitted by /u/hard2resist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hc1irh/flag_settings_for_making_edge_faster/
  9. Edge Will not download any files

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Will not download any files: Hi Have just installed windows 10 on both my PC and laptop. Edge in PC allows file download. On my laptop, Edge always throws error message that file couldn't be downloaded and I cannot work out why. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this? As far...
  10. Cannot download or open pdf in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot download or open pdf in Edge: Sometime over the past couple of days I have lost the ability to download any files when browsing with Edge and I cannot open PDF files from within Edge either. Downloading just says xxxx.yyy couldn't be downloaded and nothing will fix it - yet I can download using IE or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft edge cant download securely