Windows 10: Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...

Discus and support Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey, I'm having issues downloading certain files on my desktop PC (latest Windows 10). Things like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/intensiifffyyyy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...

Hey, I'm having issues downloading certain files on my desktop PC (latest Windows 10). Things like https://download.jetbrains.com/idea/ideaIC-2020.2.2.exe and https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/architect/ just cause an error with the message "C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\ffzswtiX.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator." in Firefox.

In both Edge and IE the download simply fails without detailed errors. I have browsed the internet for solutions, have done a memory test and checked for updated network drivers. I've reinstalled and refreshed Firefox, switched DNS, turned off Windows Defender and am running out of ideas.

The issue does not appear on my Windows 10 laptop or my iPad and my network has proved to be pretty solid, although this issue only appeared after moving house and getting much faster internet (Virgin Media Fiber). Other than this I have had no network issues. Steam downloads, browsing, gaming, youtube and video conferencing work fine. The issue also goes away when using a VPN.

Has anyone else hit this issue or can connect the dots and see what's wrong? Thanks Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -... :)

submitted by /u/intensiifffyyyy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/intensiifffyyyy, Sep 24, 2020

2. Microsoft Edge blocking Firefox

You don't really need to 'nuke' edge to install firefox.

You can get it installed and made default in 3 easy steps

1. Download the latest firefox here
    2. Start firefox - it should prompt you to set it as default - Follow what happens, and pick firefox as your default
    3. Else, Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs (use win r or paste that into explorer. Find firefox, and select "set as default"

That should make firefox your default and not fire up edge automatically.

Journeyman Geek, Sep 24, 2020
  3. importing firefox bookmarks to edge

To import bookmarks from Firefox (or Chrome) to Microsoft Edge, you will have to use Internet Explorer:

• Open the web browser you wish to export bookmarks from, and export your bookmarks to an HTML file.
      • In Firefox, press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+, click Import and Backup ->
        Export Bookmarks to HTML...
        [*]In Chrome, press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[O], click Organize ->
        Export bookmarks to HTML file...

[*]Close Firefox/Chrome.
      [*]Open Internet Explorer (click Start, type "iexplore", and press [Enter]).

[*]Press [Alt]+[C], click the dropdown next to "Add to favorites", and click
      Import and export...

[*]Choose Import from a file and click [Next].
      [*]Follow the wizard and point it to the HTML file you saved in step 1.
      [*]Close Internet Explorer and open Microsoft Edge.
      [*]Click the Hub (three lines) toolbar icon and click the (dim)
      Import favorites link.
      [*]Choose to import your favorites from Internet Explorer, and click [Import].

That said, at this time my recommendation would be to stay with Firefox unless you're having problems with it stuttering/freezing on script intensive sites like Amazon. Firefox is currently the worlds fastest web browser (scoring just above Chrome but
    about twice as high as Edge according to
    FutureMark), and it supports more technologies than Edge. And if Microsoft's past record on security with IE continues, Firefox is a much safer choice too. Mozilla usually
    patches most zero-day vulnerabilities in days after discovery compared to Microsoft's historical months or even years. Not to mention that Firefox uses ClearType font rendering which is easier to read (if tuned correctly—Search -> "clear" -> click
    Adjust ClearType text) and is less choppy looking than Edge's Windows 9x/ME grayscale anti-aliasing font rendering.

Techie007L, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...

How can I set EDGE to by default download to D:\Downloads

Hi:

I do not use Edge, but here is one suggested method (it dates from Aug 2015, but I presume the steps are still valid):

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location - gHacks Tech News

EDIT: And here is a tutorial right here in tenforums.com:
    Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -...

1. Cannot download files from Firefox or Edge -... - Similar Threads - Cannot download files

2. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge: I am using Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and the Microsoft Edge browserFor a long time I used the Firefox browser. I have since switched to Microsoft edge. When I go to use Microsoft print to PDF for an article from the web, it downloads as a Firefox document. How do I stop...
  3. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge: I am using Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and the Microsoft Edge browserFor a long time I used the Firefox browser. I have since switched to Microsoft edge. When I go to use Microsoft print to PDF for an article from the web, it downloads as a Firefox document. How do I stop...
  4. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Nags to switch to Edge [from Firefox]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nags to switch to Edge [from Firefox]: Whenever I access [at least some] Microsoft sites, I must deal with pop-ups asking if I want to switch to Edge [from Firefox]. How can I stop these? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nags-to-switch-to-edge-from-firefox/2d86a0ce-a88b-473b-a4a9-9b7c1f8e1578
  6. Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot download files flagged as insecure in Edge: I tried to download virtualbox in 21H1 using Edge and got message download was blocked as potentially unsafe. So I checked smartscreen settings in Windows sSecurity in case they had been turned on with update but they were off including settings for Edge. I checked in Task...
  7. Downloading files with FireFox

in Browsers and Email
    Downloading files with FireFox: FF vr. 87.0. For the last week or so, when I see a link to download a file, a single click appears not to respond. Several clicks again on the same link give no indication of anything downloading. To my surprise, every click does in fact download the file. Usually there is an...
  8. Cannot download file in Firefox on some web pages, Chrome fine

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot download file in Firefox on some web pages, Chrome fine: When I click the below link in Chrome it downloads the file or asks me where I want to save it, BUT in Firefox it just refreshes the page... This occurs on 2 machines I have, HP Win 8.1 and new Lenovo Win 10 Home edition with all updates. So Chrome will download like normal,...
  9. Edge does not recognize html files from saved Firefox pages.

in Browsers and Email
    Edge does not recognize html files from saved Firefox pages.: Hi, I'm new to W10 & thought I'd try the new Edge browser but... 1] Edge does not recognize html files from saved Firefox pages. 2] Every time I open a new web or page & have to go thru the hamburger to reduce the magnification for the page to fit my new Asus game PC with...
  10. Cannot download chrome from from Microscoft Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot download chrome from from Microscoft Edge: Every time I push download chrome, a tab pops up saying Your organization used windows defender application control to block this app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-chrome-from-from-microscoft-edge/8e4b4388-d3e0-4b8d-bb83-a68eb02090a6