Windows 10: Cannot download Windows 10 Pro from Home edition

Discus and support Cannot download Windows 10 Pro from Home edition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I just experienced a new kind of weirdness. I bought a new asus laptop with windows 10 home preinstalled on it. But I need PRO for work, so at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohannesKlarenbeek, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Cannot download Windows 10 Pro from Home edition

Hi,

I just experienced a new kind of weirdness. I bought a new asus laptop with windows 10 home preinstalled on it. But I need PRO for work, so at first I went to windows store, but I could not enter the business address etc for it. After some experiments, I found that windows store makes upgrading to pro just impossible, at least for me.

so I decided to buy a new one from our local online stores here in the Netherlands. It wasn't an upgrade but they delivered an OEM product key with a DVD. This machine has no DVD and to be honest non of our workstations at the office have. First I went to the system page, but that one didn't recognized my product key, so well, I downloaded the mediacreationtool that I used to install countless workstations with windows 10 some years ago normally I can just select my version and hit the download iso option. BUT THATS NOT POSSIBLE ANYMORE! huh, very weird.

Ok, no worries, it will probably make me select the version once I copy the ISO on my USB drive and then install that copy on my asus laptop... right? wrong!

Not only was I forced to create an windows account and listen to cortana, what? but it didn't gave me an option to install pro at all!

How in heavens name do I get my hands on a official windows 10 pro iso? how difficult should that be? and when I do get the official ISO by or a link from the Microsoft website - which is not there-, or by extracting it somehow from the absolutely useless DVD that Microsoft sended with the OEM product key and burn that image on an USB stick, OMG again, do I need to listen to that cortana voice on a professional edition as well??

please help,

regards,

Johannes klarenbeek

:)

JohannesKlarenbeek, Dec 23, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 pro edition

Hello Raed,

For us to better assist you with your concern about upgrading to Windows 10 pro edition and how to roll back to Windows 7, we would like to know some additional information first:

• Did you get any error messages or error codes?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

To help you on upgrading your Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, we suggest that you check this

article
    for information and troubleshooting steps.

You can follow the steps provided below to be able to downgrade to Windows 7:

• Open Settings.
    • Select Update & security.
    • Click Recovery tab.
    • Look for the option to "Go back to Windows 7/8", and click on "Get Started" to begin the process.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Remon Ont, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Cannot download Windows 10 Pro from Home edition

Activation Windows 10 Pro.

• The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core
      will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro
      will install Windows 10 Pro

To find out if you have the right edition installed:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Edition.

If the edition of Windows 10 installed does not correspond with the edition of Windows 7 or Windows 8 you were previously running, then you need to reinstall the right edition.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows

Andre Da Costa, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Cannot download Windows 10 Pro from Home edition

1. Cannot download Windows 10 Pro from Home edition - Similar Threads - Cannot download Pro

2. Downloading Windows 10 HOME Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloading Windows 10 HOME Edition: So I bought a product key for the home edition of windows, but for some reason when I run the installation media I never get an option to choose the home edition. It always defaults to Pro. How can I download onto a USB the Home edition of windows so I can put it on my...
  3. Downgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Home edition

Downgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Home edition: I some how accidentally installed Windows 10 Pro instead of home edition that I have key/license for. I have tried doing the Registry edits in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and the other path as well but when I run the...
  4. Downgrade from Windows 10 Pro to HOME Edition.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrade from Windows 10 Pro to HOME Edition.: I have a Dell Xps 8900 I purchased several years ago that came with Windows 7 Pro. I recently updated to Windows 10 Pro, but I want Windows 10 HOME Edition. Can this be done, and if so, how???...
  5. Updated to Windows 10 pro edition from home Windows 10 home edition

Updated to Windows 10 pro edition from home Windows 10 home edition: My laptop has windows 10 home edition. But I required Windows 10 pro edition. So.., is there any options to update my edition. Please help me out with this....
  6. Cannot downgrade from Windows 10 Education edition to Home edition

Cannot downgrade from Windows 10 Education edition to Home edition: I've just bought a new laptop which is already installed Windows 10 Home edition. Then I upgrade to Education edition via product key, But I found It is not good: I cannot search for any apps in Microsoft Store Only apps that provided by university are found,and I have to...
  7. Cannot downgrade from Windows 10 Education edition to Home edition

Cannot downgrade from Windows 10 Education edition to Home edition: I've just bought a new laptop which is already installed Windows 10 Home edition. Then I upgrade to Education edition via product key, But I found It is not good: I cannot search for any apps in Microsoft Store Only apps that provided by university are found,and I have to...
  8. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro Edition from Windows 10 Home Edition

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro Edition from Windows 10 Home Edition: I currently have a license and USB Flash drive containing Windows 10 Home Edition. I'm considering doing the upgrade to Professional Edition for $99. If I perform that upgrade will I then have a new Professional product key that will allow me to perform a clean reinstall...
  9. Windows 10 Home Edition download

Windows 10 Home Edition download: I have been downloading Windows 10 Home,from a USB download I got from your site, for about seven hours...rebooting and rebooting and downloading ever more data to my hard drive. It has consumed over 240GB of my 500GB hard drive...so far. Can you tell me what is going on?...
  10. Switching from Windows 10 pro edition to home edition

Switching from Windows 10 pro edition to home edition: Hi everyone! Just recently bought a new pc, problem is, I expected it to come with windows 10 home edition as usual, but it came with an unactivated version of windows 10 pro edition. I tried using the media creation tool but the option for windows 10 home edition didnt...